Topics

moderated calendar features

Charles Reid <charlesreid1.dib@...>

A couple of calendar features that would be nice to see:

* A single page with all URLs for all subgroup calendars in one place (currently each group's mailing list URL is hidden behind a couple of clicks and can't be automated without building a web scraper)

* A single calendar feed that aggregates all subgroup events, so that users can subscribe to all subgroup calendars by subscribing to a single calendar

* Better Google Calendar integration (particularly since Google has a Google Calendar API); specifically, ability to import (all? some?) events from an existing Google Calendar to a Groups.io group/subgroup calendar

Charles Reid <charlesreid1.dib@...>

Also add a Groups.io calendar API to the list.

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 11:25 AM, Charles Reid <charlesreid1.dib@...> wrote:
A couple of calendar features that would be nice to see:

* A single page with all URLs for all subgroup calendars in one place (currently each group's mailing list URL is hidden behind a couple of clicks and can't be automated without building a web scraper)

* A single calendar feed that aggregates all subgroup events, so that users can subscribe to all subgroup calendars by subscribing to a single calendar

* Better Google Calendar integration (particularly since Google has a Google Calendar API); specifically, ability to import (all? some?) events from an existing Google Calendar to a Groups.io group/subgroup calendar

Duane

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 01:39 pm, Charles Reid wrote:
* A single calendar feed that aggregates all subgroup events, so that users can subscribe to all subgroup calendars by subscribing to a single calendar
If considered, it should be optional with a default of disabled; or limited to only the subgroups that user is subscribed to.  Many groups with subgroups use them for specific members, not everyone in the main group.

Duane

Tom Vail

Agreed, as it would not be something we would want to do the way we will use groups.

Peace,
Tom

Scott Mercer

I would like to request a feature that allows for the bulk import or bulk creation of calendar items. ICS or CSV are logical import formats

Green Fizzpops

I would like to request that we can attach hashtags to calender events. My group has been using #event and #cityname on emails with announcements about events in different cities

Marina

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 05:36 am, Green Fizzpops wrote:

I would like to request that we can attach hashtags to calender events. My
group has been using #event and #cityname on emails with announcements about
events in different cities

I would like to add that we can opt-out and substitute the automatic hashtag cal-notice / cal-reminder with an hashtag of our own choice, more specific and easier to understand for members of non-English speaking groups.
I know that this has been discussed before, but still...

Thank you!

Marina
Marina

Nis Jørgensen

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 10:39 PM, Charles Reid wrote:

Also add a Groups.io calendar API to the list.
Looking at the various standards and "standards" in this area, it seems that what we should be wishing for is an implementation of CalDAV (WebDAV for calendars). This would allow our calendar to be manipulated by any sufficiently advanced calendar program. The biggest issue (without actually looking into this) is probably access control.

Nis
Investigating Groups.io for several unrelated communities and projects