Topics

moderated Loggin link/forgot password feature broken

Michael Chopra

Hi. I just tried to re-login to my groups.io account, and was unable to do so. It seems to be happening after the site updates today. What is wrong with this?

Thanks.

From Michael.

Duane

Everything worked fine for me.  Things like this should be reported to support@groups.io.  This group is is intended to discuss new or requested features.

Duane

Douglas Swearingen <dougiebehr@...>

I got the same problem this morning.  I was only able to login after I searched for the group I am owner, clicked on the groups description, then clicked on the option to login if already a member of the group.

This may or may not be a bug, So I will report this to support.

Doug

Hi. I just tried to re-login to my groups.io account, and was unable to
do so. It seems to be happening after the site updates today. What is
wrong with this?

Thanks.

 From Michael.

Chris Jones

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 07:18 am, Michael Chopra wrote:
Hi. I just tried to re-login to my groups.io account, and was unable to do so. It seems to be happening after the site updates today. What is wrong with this?
This might be a function of the need to "Accept Cookies" mentioned by Mark in his GDPR Update post on this forum. When I first tried this morning I found I couldn't log in either, but then I noticed that I was being asked to Accept Cookies, and having clicked on this I was able to log in as normal.

I have flagged this up on the Group for which I am a Moderator, but (to my surprise) nobody has felt the need to respond to it.

Chris

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:
On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 07:18 am, Michael Chopra wrote:
Hi. I just tried to re-login to my groups.io account, and was unable to do so. It seems to be happening after the site updates today. What is wrong with this?
This might be a function of the need to "Accept Cookies" mentioned by Mark in his GDPR Update post on this forum. When I first tried this morning I found I couldn't log in either, but then I noticed that I was being asked to Accept Cookies, and having clicked on this I was able to log in as normal.

My guess is that this is the issue. We are not allowed to set any cookies until the person accepts the cookie banner on the bottom of the page. So if you try to log in, but that banner is still displayed, we cannot actually log you in. I may be able to figure out a way to display an error message in that case, but I'm not sure yet.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 08:44 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
My guess is that this is the issue. We are not allowed to set any cookies until the person accepts the cookie banner on the bottom of the page. So if you try to log in, but that banner is still displayed, we cannot actually log you in. I may be able to figure out a way to display an error message in that case, but I'm not sure yet.

This is a problem if the user has an ad-blocker, as they never get to see the banner and won't know what is going on.

At least that's what happens for me using AdBlock on Chrome. Doing a pause of the ad-blocker allowed me to see the banner and accept it and move on.

--
Gerald

Hi All,

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
This is a problem if the user has an ad-blocker, as they never get to see the banner and won't know what is going on.

At least that's what happens for me using AdBlock on Chrome. Doing a pause of the ad-blocker allowed me to see the banner and accept it and move on.

That's definitely a problem. Here's what I've done to hopefully fix it.

I no longer display the banner on the login screen. Instead, that text is now part of the page itself. And the act of logging in now (or using the login link/facebook or google logins) acts as acceptance of the cookie policy.

I had already clicked on the accept banner from my main account, but after seeing this thread, I went into my two other accounts to see what was up. What I found was that the banner was still displayed, but after I logged OUT, rather than on logging in. Or maybe that's part of the page? In any case, the accept link (banner or part of page) seems to now come up for current members when they log out.

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 10:08 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I had already clicked on the accept banner from my main account, but after seeing this thread, I went into my two other accounts to see what was up. What I found was that the banner was still displayed, but after I logged OUT, rather than on logging in. Or maybe that's part of the page? In any case, the accept link (banner or part of page) seems to now come up for current members when they log out.

I just changed it so that after you log in on a given device, you should never see that banner again, even after you log out.

Great!