Topics

Feature Request- 'Your Groups' menu #suggestion

dave w

Hi Gang

With about 20 groups and another dozen on the horizon, it's time this menu got some admin ability to customise the priority/ importance/ reluctance quotient and order of groups displayed.
Examples:
1- dont want 'file groups' mixed in with social
2- dont want near dead groups high in list
3- want major interests and high volume ones at top
4- owner/ mod privileges given priority
 etc.

Thanks
davew

ro-esp

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 08:59 pm, dave w wrote:

admin ability to customise the priority/ importance/ reluctance quotient
and order of groups displayed.
Examples:
1- don't want 'file groups' mixed in with social
2- don't want near dead groups high in list
3- want major interests and high volume ones at top
4- owner/ mod privileges given priority
Wouldn't it be best if every user could make their own list-order? My priorities probably are different from someone else's

groetjes, Ronaldo

dave w

Thats what i'm saying Ronaldo
why I used a small a for admin. Personal use, not Administrators decree.
We will all have our preferences, ye s

davew

dave w

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 08:59 pm, dave w wrote:
it's time this menu got some admin ability to customise
Meaning ::: it's time this menu got some personal customisation ability to suit users needs.
thanks davew--

Geoff Arnold <geoff@...>

Can I resurrect this topic from last year? I got a strong request from several users to have the "Your Groups" dropdown show the Group Titles rather than the email address. Our domains tend to be lengthy, so people like short email names - which is fine until you have to remember which is which.

Geoff

Duane

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 02:30 PM, Geoff Arnold wrote:
I got a strong request from several users to have the "Your Groups" dropdown show the Group Titles rather than the email address.
Mine does show the group names, not an email address.  If there are subgroups, they're shown under the main group name.  Have you got a name assigned to the groups?

Duane

Geoff Arnold <geoff@...>

My main group and all subgroups have both an email address (XXX@MYDOMAIN) and a Group Title. (I use subgroup categories.)

If I go to main, and choose Subgroups from the sidebar, I see all of the subgroups listed . For each, I see the email (i.e. the XXX), the Group Title, and the subgroup category.

If I click the Your Groups dropdown in the title bar (next to my account name), I see a list of emails (i.e. the XXX), with "Manage my subscriptions" at the bottom of the list.

What we'd like is to see the Group Titles listed when you click the Your Groups dropdown.

--
  Geoff Arnold
  geoff@...

Barry_M

Same as Duane.  I think you mean the topmost bar which appears irrespective of page?  Screenshot attached.  Not sure about "next to my account name" since it doesn't appear that way to me.  But, it is a dropdown and, as with others, mine shows group names rather than email addresses.

Barry

Duane

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 04:10 PM, Geoff Arnold wrote:
What we'd like is to see the Group Titles listed when you click the Your Groups dropdown.
I finally figured out what you mean.  Yes, the XXX of the email address for the group is what shows in the drop down.  On all my groups, it's the same as the Group Title, so it took me awhile to notice.  Some groups I'm on have no Title for the group/subgroups, so it couldn't be cast in stone.  Maybe show the Title if one exists or the XXX of the email address if it doesn't?

Duane

Geoff Arnold <geoff@...>

That would be ideal.

--
  Geoff Arnold
  geoff@...

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 07:30 AM, Geoff Arnold wrote:
Can I resurrect this topic from last year? I got a strong request from several users to have the "Your Groups" dropdown show the Group Titles rather than the email address.
Geoff
No offence but nothing like what I have requested. But thank you for using it anyway...
I have never had email addys present; nor have subgroups.

My request per graphic below is for some customisation for the menu - alternatives to the alpha sort order present. On my 13" Macbook I cant even see/ scroll to the bottom of the menu using cursor. True, I have unsub'd from useless groups and storage copies that took real estate from original request.

I believe this is still a valuable user interface requirement. Surely such  a setting is stored in cookies efficiently?
regards davew

Hi All,

I've made two changes to the 'Your Groups' dropdown:

- If a group has a title set, that's used now.
- The dropdown is limited to 400px tall. If you have more groups than that, it scrolls.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 7:04 PM dave w <groupsmaster@...> wrote:
[...]

Brilliant! Many thanks. And just in time for our launch (see openmobilityfoundation-dot-org). Our groups.io environment is at collab-dot-openmobility-dot-foundation ....

--
  Geoff Arnold
  geoff@...

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
[...]

Attachments:
  • iog_yourGroups_Sort.jpg

Leeni

It works great! I like the scrolling better then it was before. Easier to navigate! Thanks. Leeni

[...]

Michael Pavan

On Jun 25, 2019, at 12:42 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I've made two changes to the 'Your Groups' dropdown:

- If a group has a title set, that's used now.
- The dropdown is limited to 400px tall. If you have more groups than that, it scrolls.

Am I wrong, but I think that dropdown used to show all the groups I was subscribed to, as well as owned.

Now I only see the groups I own and can not find any link to: beta, GroupManagersForum, or Updates...

-- .--- .--.

Leeni

If you use the scroll (use the side bar and move it down) you can see all the groups you belong to. I do!

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 03:28 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Am I wrong, but I think that dropdown used to show all the groups I was subscribed to, as well as owned.
They should still be there, but may show a different 'name' since it's now using the group Title.  For example, beta is now "The Groups.io Beta Group" and GMF is showing Help Improve the Management of Groups which is the current title.  The one for GMF may change, so don't get too used to the new one.

You may need to scroll down if you have more than 14 or 15 groups, especially if there are subgroups.

Duane

I'm finding it disconcerting without the underlines but I'll get used to it. :-)

Michael Pavan

On Jun 25, 2019, at 4:48 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 03:28 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Am I wrong, but I think that dropdown used to show all the groups I was subscribed to, as well as owned.
They should still be there, but may show a different 'name' since it's now using the group Title. For example, beta is now "The Groups.io Beta Group" and GMF is showing Help Improve the Management of Groups which is the current title. The one for GMF may change, so don't get too used to the new one.

You may need to scroll down if you have more than 14 or 15 groups, especially if there are subgroups.
Yes the names are changed to the full Group Name (2-7 words), rather than the "Group Email Address" @groups.io names (2-6 letters) - that's okay, but I'd much prefer to have a toggle so I could make it just be the simple shorter acronyms.

On closer inspection, I see that 1 of my 11 groups was also missing, along with The Groups.io Beta Group, Group_Help, Help Improve the Management of Groups, and Groups.io Updates - but that was my fault, as I was logged in with one of my alternate Owner email addresses that only Owns 10 of my 11 groups and is not subscribed to the other 4 groups. I guess the forest of words obscured my 'missing' tree. ;-}

Give us the choice to not to have all those words instead of the "Group Email Address" @groups.io names which tend to be much shorter, if not acronyms.

Poor Mark, i know you cannot please all of the people all of the time, but I preferred it the old way (since I don't have many groups) because I could see more quickly where I wanted to go, but I can see why others prefer group names. Perhaps it might be possible for us to choose how it displays, but if not, I expect I'll get used to it.