locked Directory #suggestion

Maria

Would it be possible for groups.io to have a geo-based business directory that integrates with google maps, has categories and other search criteria and ability for moderators ( or members) to plug in listings?

This would be useful for groups where people recommend providers/services to each other.

The listings could potentially be linked by admins to the message in which a given service was discussed so that people could read why that member recommended that service.

Maria

Maria,

Would it be possible for groups.io to have a geo-based business
directory that integrates with google maps, has categories and other
search criteria and ability for moderators ( or members) to plug in
listings?
Great suggestion. Yahoo Groups started down this path once with the "Groups Labs" features - those were essentially enhanced database tables but one of the available options was a location field, with a corresponding map view of the table.

In Groups.io terms that could be a GeoLocation column type, which if used in a table would enable a map view of the table -- pins for each row, with hover text for each pin showing the other fields.

Yahoo was using their own map product as the basis for the feature, but in Groups.io integrating this with Google maps makes a lot of sense.

This would be useful for groups where people recommend
providers/services to each other.
Yup.

Another use would be for members to voluntarily indicate their location (as in re-use groups). One of the features of Y!Groups implementation was a control over location precision. It was possible to pin something precisely (such as a storefront or other public location) or loosely (such as "I live in this neighborhood" - without revealing an exact location).

The listings could potentially be linked by admins to the message in
which a given service was discussed so that people could read why that
member recommended that service.
One could use the "Link" column type for that, I think.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Maria

That sounds amazing ;) We could really use something like that and it would work even better if it had a search feature.

So lets say it's a directory for restaurants - it would have categories for food type, neighborhood, link/s to the message/s in which there is a review, and contact info/website, etc.

So If i wanted to search for restaurants in a given neighborhood that serve french food I'd select "french" from the category column and then a list of the French restaurants in the database would appear (only those?) with a google map above that has pins for each one on the list that you can hover over?

Maria