locked +owner Message Reply

Duane

A few times now I've replied to a +owner Message using my own email address because that's the one that gets chosen by default. It would seem to me that when replying to a message to the owner that it should default to the group owner as the From choice.

On 4 Jun 2016 at 11:36, Duane wrote:

A few times now I've replied to a +owner Message using my own email
address because that's the one that gets chosen by default.
I would like to see g.io allow "listname+owner@groups.io" to post via
email.

Maybe the email would be held in moderation queue since the address
isn't technically a member of the group, but that's fine with me. With Y!G,
I could just send an email to the group with the From: spoofed to the
owner email. With g.io, I have to copy and paste it to the website, where I
can select the owner address as the From:

Just like everything else, it's much quicker to just send an email than to go
the site and post a message.

--
Jim
Poston@...

<< Crazy little thing called love. >>

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
A few times now I've replied to a +owner Message using my own email address because that's the one that gets chosen by default.  It would seem to me that when replying to a message to the owner that it should default to the group owner as the From choice.

Done.

Edited

Can someone clarify this? I'm confused by the "froms" and "tos" and am not sure what scenarios(s) this refers to.

(1) Now (or before this change), if someone sent a message to the +owner address and I replied to it, the reply came from my personal email address. Does the reply now come from the +owner address? If so, am I (or can I be) bcc'ed on it so that I have a record of it? [or does it get logged?]

(2) Now (or before this change), if I as the owner initiated contact by sending a message to a group member via the "send message" action, the "from" address is my personal email address. Is it now the +owner address? (There was already a bcc option here, so I assume it stayed in effect?)

Thanks.

It's dumb to buy smart water.

J,

(1) Now (or before this change), if someone sent a message to the +owner
address and I replied to it, the reply came from my personal email
address. Does the reply now come from the +owner address?
That would depend on how you reply.

You might be replying by email to a +owner message you received by email. In that case yes, the reply comes from your personal email unless you've set up an ability to "spoof" the +owner address.

Or you might be replying to the the +owner message logged in the member's entry in the Members list. From there you can choose the From: address of your reply to be either the +owner address or your personal address. The default used to be from your personal address, now it is the +owner address.

If so, am I (or can I be) bcc'ed on it so that I have a record of it?
[or does it get logged?]
I don't believe your outbound reply gets stored anywhere (I dislike that also), but there are BCC checkboxes for both "Me" and "All Moderators".

(2) Now (or before this change), if I as the owner initiated contact by
sending a message to a group member via the "send message" action, the
"from" address is my personal email address. Is it now the +owner address?
Yes, the default appears to have changed here too.

(There was already a bcc option here, so I assume it stayed in effect?)
Yup, both checkboxes still present.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Thanks, Shal. I think that original emails (rather than responses) to the owner address didn't used to be logged and saved for reply (now they are, very convenient), and I see that it's possible to respond to them via the web and that the default has changed and the bcc box is there.

It's dumb to buy smart water.