Topics

moderated "File uploaded" and "Photo uploaded" owner notification

Hi,

I would really appreciate an option that triggers a notification to group owners and moderators each time a file or a photo is uploaded.

Is it possible to have this programmed?

Victoria

Chris Jones

A Notification about a File upload is available as an option to whoever uploads the file; I don't think there is a Moderator - level option to force a notification, though.

There appears to be no corresponding option available for notification of Photo uploads.

If you are suggesting a Owner / Moderator settable "forced" notification than I think I would probably agree with you.

Chris

Chris Jones

Thinking about this a little more brought me to the point where I realised that there might be some benefit in both File and Photo uploads having to pass through (optional) Moderation, so that Group managers could put the material in the optimum location depending on what it actually is, or determine if it deserves a new Folder / Album in its own right, and if so what the title / name ought to be.

It would help eliminate the infuriating randomness that can easily arise, although it might be a big ask from Mark's point of view.

Chris

Chris,

A Notification about a File upload is available as an option to whoever uploads the file; I don't think there is a Moderator - level option to force a notification, though.

Exactly. Example: Files are uploaded by whoever, but unless the notification is checked no one gets the message. That´s not always problem-free.

There appears to be no corresponding option available for notification of Photo uploads.

Photo uploading without notification can be even more inconvenient.

If you are suggesting a Owner / Moderator settable "forced" notification than I think I would probably agree with you.

Yes, that´s what I mean.

Victoria

Chris,

well, all I am asking for is a notification. It could easily be added here:

---
Notifications

Email when there are messages needing approval.

Email when there are members needing approval.

Email when a member joins/leaves this group.

Email when group storage limits are reached.

Email when someone creates or deletes a subgroup.

Email when someone reports a message.

o   Email when a file is uploaded.

o   Email when a photo is uploaded.

Each moderator can decide if he/she wants to check it or not.

Victoria

Tom Vail

Great idea and one more tool in the group manager’s belt.

Peace,

Tom

From: <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Victoria <dr.vcaesar@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 5:17 AM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: [beta] "File uploaded" and "Photo uploaded" owner notification

Chris,

well, all I am asking for is a notification. It could easily be added here:

---
Notifications

Email when there are messages needing approval.

Email when there are members needing approval.

Email when a member joins/leaves this group.

Email when group storage limits are reached.

Email when someone creates or deletes a subgroup.

Email when someone reports a message.

  • Email when a file is uploaded.
  • Email when a photo is uploaded.

Each moderator can decide if he/she wants to check it or not.

Victoria

Tom Vail

It would also, and maybe more importantly, give them to option to reject inappropriate material (not that anyone would ever do that 😊 ).

Peace,

Tom

From: <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of "Chris Jones via Groups.Io" <chrisjones12@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 2:24 AM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>

Thinking about this a little more brought me to the point where I realised that there might be some benefit in both File and Photo uploads having to pass through (optional) Moderation, so that Group managers could put the material in the optimum location depending on what it actually is, or determine if it deserves a new Folder / Album in its own right, and if so what the title / name ought to be.

It would help eliminate the infuriating randomness that can easily arise, although it might be a big ask from Mark's point of view.

Chris

Scott Perkins

No this would be bad because in some groups there are more files and photos than messages.

What about when someone uploads a new album with one hundred photos ? You definitely do not
want one hundred notification messages.

I would not object to messages for files and photos if the group owner could have the option to turn them off.

To: main@beta.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 8:17 AM

Chris,
 well, all I am asking for is a
notification. It could easily be added here:---
Notifications Email when
there are messages needing approval. Email when
there are members needing approval. Email when
a member joins/leaves this group. Email when
group storage limits are reached. Email when
someone creates or deletes a subgroup. Email when
someone reports a message.
 o   Email when a file is uploaded.o
Email when
a photo is uploaded.
Each moderator can decide
if he/she wants to check it or not.Victoria

Scott,

the notification feature which you find in your supscription is optional. You have various norifications with little squares in front of them:

----

Notifications

Email when there are messages needing approval.

Email when there are members needing approval.

Email when a member joins/leaves this group.

Email when group storage limits are reached.

Email when someone creates or deletes a subgroup.

Email when someone reports a message.

Email when someone uploads a photo

Email when someone uploads a file/database

----

So if you don´t check them no notification goes out.

Victoria

Randy Thomson

These could be set as group level defaults (notification box is automatically checked or not checked), with the user having the option to override when the upload occurs.

Randy T

A Notification about a File upload is available as an option to whoever uploads the file; I don't think there is a Moderator - level option to force a notification, though.

Exactly. Example: Files are uploaded by whoever, but unless the notification is checked no one gets the message. That´s not always problem-free.

There appears to be no corresponding option available for notification of Photo uploads.

Photo uploading without notification can be even more inconvenient.

If you are suggesting a Owner / Moderator settable "forced" notification than I think I would probably agree with you.

Yes, that´s what I mean.

Victoria

Duane

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 05:36 pm, Randy Thomson wrote:
with the user having the option to override
I'd rather have them totally disabled on my groups.  I believe Victoria has presented the best option.

Duane