Topics

moderated Account export

Hi All,

As a corollary to exporting a group, you can now export all of your data. Go to your main Account page and press the Export My Account button. It works similarly to the group export in that you should receive an email within 10 minutes with a link to download all of your data. You'll get all the messages you've posted, all the photos you've uploaded, etc to all of your groups. Basically, all the data we have from you (minus wiki images, which I'm still working on).

The paint's still wet on the code, so please let me know if you see any bugs.

Arno Martens

Download works well. Extraction of messages ends up as .mbox. I know it is a UNIX type but have to find out how to open it to see indivdual messages.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Arno,

It is just a text file. Any text editor such as Notepad work to view the file and messages in it.

--
Gerald

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Mark,
Splitting Account Messages by Group Options Since I belong to many groups, the full account download is quite large. It is also very tedious to sort through the messages for a specific group. For these reasons, it would be nice if there were a group specific option to do the export. As an alternate solution, the messages could be split out by group in the full account download.
--  Gerald

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Exporting for Closed Accounts Many of the groups I belong to here are from accounts migrated from Yahoo. As part of my migration, I also took the opportunity to rid myself of Yahoo email addresses and ended up combining my groups into one non-Yahoo email address account. The result of this is that a lot of my migrated content is no longer associated with my account.

I can determine the posterid numbers for posts that were made on Yahoo. It seems that the posterid is the same across all groups. Is there a way that I could also export data based on posterid? I am not sure if / how that could happen. Perhaps the issue really is whether or not I can reclaim an account that I closed and combine it into my current account.

--
Gerald

Mark Irving

It might be sensible to add a section in the exported information for the user's account details. I'm thinking of information such as the e-mail address, aliases, settings such as personal name, preferences for each group. All of those might be considered part of what the GDPR considers personal information: "your" data.

The download itself worked well when I tried it.

(Aside: not all messages in my .mbox file are usable in a text editor, because they were imported from Yahoo! Groups where they were given Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64.)

 - Mark (not the Mark, this one's someone else)

 Arno,

Download works well. Extraction of messages ends up as .mbox. I know it is a UNIX type but have to find out how to open it to see indivdual messages.

You want to import it into a mail reading program like Thunderbird, but I'm not sure which application would be easiest to use.

As much as I like Thunderbird in other respects, Thunderbird's developers seem to think that importing mbox files ought to be as obscurely documented as practical. Though trivial to do once you figure out where to create a folder to copy the mbox file(s) into. Hint: the Import command is the wrong first step: it doesn't include mbox files as a supported file type.

Shal

Toby Kraft

Arno,
There is a mbox viewer here -> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mbox-viewer/
Works pretty well.
Toby

toki

On 05/16/2018 05:59 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Thunderbird's developers seem to think that importing mbox files ought to be as obscurely documente as practical.
Take a look at their documentation on importing, or exporting contacts.
It is even more obtuse, and inadequately documented.

Though trivial to do once you figure out where to create a folder to copy the mbox file(s) into.
Install and use the _Import Export Extension_.

jonathon

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 7:20 AM, Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
Exporting for Closed Accounts Many of the groups I belong to here are from accounts migrated from Yahoo. As part of my migration, I also took the opportunity to rid myself of Yahoo email addresses and ended up combining my groups into one non-Yahoo email address account. The result of this is that a lot of my migrated content is no longer associated with my account.

I can determine the posterid numbers for posts that were made on Yahoo. It seems that the posterid is the same across all groups. Is there a way that I could also export data based on posterid? I am not sure if / how that could happen. Perhaps the issue really is whether or not I can reclaim an account that I closed and combine it into my current account.

Hmmm. I had not considered this. Currently when two accounts are merged, the 'old' user record is deleted from the database, but all references to that user are kept in the system (which is fine, it's designed to handle references to non-existent user records). I will need to set up some sort of aliasing system.

Mark

Arno Martens

Thanks all, on the mbox advice.
Arno

Gerald,

... it would be nice if there were a group specific option to do the
export. As an alternate solution, the messages could be split out by
group in the full account download.
I agree with both solutions.

The first because I was surprised that the button directly launched the export -- I was expecting to see at least a confirmation page, but a page with checkboxes to select the primary group(s) and subgroup(s) would be even better.

I suspect that others may have been surprised as well, leading to more exports than were actually intended and downloaded.

The second because I think that having separate mbox files for each group (or subgroup) would be much more natural and manageable. When I keep messages in my email I do so in separate folders for each group. So I would want them separated that way even when exporting more than a single group at a time.

Shal

Donald Hellen

Shal . . .

On Sun, 20 May 2018 17:59:01 -0700, "Shal Farley" <shals2nd@gmail.com>
wrote:

The second because I think that having separate mbox files for each
group (or subgroup) would be much more natural and manageable. When I
keep messages in my email I do so in separate folders for each group. So
I would want them separated that way even when exporting more than a
single group at a time.
I keep my messages separated also in different email folders and use
rules to route the group posts to their respective folders.

Can Mbox files be opened and sorted by groups somehow, or just extract
group 1 files, then group 2, and so on?

Donald

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who
speak it. --Selwyn Duke

Donald,

Can Mbox files be opened and sorted by groups somehow, or just extract
group 1 files, then group 2, and so on?
With Thunderbird I'm sure I could filter or sort them by the To: address or the group subject tag. And then copy or move them into other folders group by group.

With other mbox readers that might depend on its capabilities; but I think it is likely that any full email client application (OE, Forte, and others) could do this as well.

Shal