Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 1:12 PM
Subject: [beta] Changed how polls work #poll

A new poll has been created:

I've changed polls a little bit based on a bunch of feedback received. It was unclear to many people that their votes were being registered by just checking the boxes. So, I've added 'Vote' and 'Results' buttons. Now to vote, you check the box(es) and click the Vote button. The display then immediately switches to the Results display, if the poll is configured to show results before the poll is closed.

Please let me know what you think. Here's a sample poll to test things out.

1. Coke
2. Pepsi
3. Sprite
4. Dr Pepper

Vote Now

Mark,

The display then immediately switches to the Results display, if the
poll is configured to show results before the poll is closed.
The "Vote" button appearing at the bottom of the Results display is a little puzzling at first, especially if you get there by having just voted. Maybe it should say "Change Vote" or something to indicate what it allows you to do, and hence why you might click it.

Or would that be too confusing to people that get there without having voted yet (clicked Results)?

-- Shal

Judy F.

Shal, I sent a note regarding the button also. I was a first time voter and I suggested that a message pop up saying the vote has been recorded or something like that. Then when you click the Results button, if it is closed to voters, a message should pop up saying the results are closed or have a message there that says that.

I probably voted several times, since I clicked the Vote button several times. LOL

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

I wrote:

The "Vote" button appearing at the bottom of the Results display is a
little puzzling at first, especially if you get there by having just
voted.
Just realized what else bugs me about it.

Unlike its twin on the initial page, this "Vote" button doesn't actually cast my vote. Semantically it and the Results button are more like links - they change what I'm looking at but they don't take any action.

So maybe it should be "Back to Vote" as a link. And on the initial page "See Results" likewise.

-- Shal

Linda

Hi Folks,
I think Mark said that the Results button would be there only when the poll is configured to show Results.

If you click on Vote on the Results page, you can change your vote but not vote again.  The button should say, Change Vote.

Linda

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

So maybe it should be "Back to Vote" as a link. And on the initial page "See Results" likewise.

Good ideas, I’ve made the changes. Please let me know what you think.

Cacky B

Looking good.
Cacky

On 11/4/2015 12:12 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

A new poll has been created:

I've changed polls a little bit based on a bunch of feedback received. It was unclear to many people that their votes were being registered by just checking the boxes. So, I've added 'Vote' and 'Results' buttons. Now to vote, you check the box(es) and click the Vote button. The display then immediately switches to the Results display, if the poll is configured to show results before the poll is closed.

Please let me know what you think. Here's a sample poll to test things out.

1. Coke
2. Pepsi
3. Sprite
4. Dr Pepper

Vote Now

I like it!

dg

Judy F.

Mark, I just voted and clicked the Vote button, but I didn’t get any type message that my vote was recorded.  I then checked results and nothing happened so I assume it isn’t set up to show results.  I think a message should pop up telling the user that their vote was recorded and if the results are closed to users, the results button should be greyed out.

Thanks for all you do to try to please everyone.  You go way above and beyond.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

I've changed polls a little bit based on a bunch of feedback received. It was unclear to many people that their votes were being registered by just checking the boxes. So, I've added 'Vote' and 'Results' buttons. Now to vote, you check the box(es) and click the Vote button. The display then immediately switches to the Results display, if the poll is configured to show results before the poll is closed.

Please let me know what you think. Here's a sample poll to test things out.

1. Coke
2. Pepsi
3. Sprite
4. Dr Pepper

Vote Now

Having some problems with the poll.

Opera 12.17:
Click a selection, click Vote, nothing happens.
Click See Results, nothing happens

Vivaldi 1.0 (beta)
Vote, See Results, Back to Vote buttons all work.

One other user reported click, nothing happens. I believe she is using
Chrome (not confirmed, haven't tested myself).

--
Jim
@poston

<< Macintosh - like Nintendo, but fewer games available. >>

Hi Judy,

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:

Mark, I just voted and clicked the Vote button, but I didn’t get any type message that my vote was recorded.  I then checked results and nothing happened so I assume it isn’t set up to show results.  I think a message should pop up telling the user that their vote was recorded and if the results are closed to users, the results button should be greyed out.

I just added an alert that says “Thanks for voting.” when you vote. Please let me know what you think.

Hi Jim,

I don’t have Opera 12.17. I just downloaded the latest version, 33.0, and it works ok there. And I do all development on Chrome, so I know it works in current versions there..

If you have a moment, can you bring up the developer tools window in Opera, reload the polls page, try to vote again, and let me know if any errors come up?

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Jim Poston <poston@...> wrote:
Having some problems with the poll.

Opera 12.17:
Click a selection, click Vote, nothing happens.
Click See Results, nothing happens

Vivaldi 1.0 (beta)
Vote, See Results, Back to Vote buttons all work.

One other user reported click, nothing happens.  I believe she is using
Chrome (not confirmed, haven't tested myself).

--
Jim
Poston@...

<<          Macintosh - like Nintendo, but fewer games available.            >>

Judy,

I probably voted several times, since I clicked the Vote button several times.
I think you can only change your vote, not vote multiple times.

-- Shal

On 4 Nov 2015 at 13:19, Mark Fletcher wrote:

If you have a moment, can you bring up the developer tools window in
Opera, reload the polls page, try to vote again, and let me know if any
errors come up?
Sent a message offline.

--
Jim
@poston

<< No postage necessary if mailed in the United States >>

On 4 Nov 2015 at 16:11, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Thanks for the error log. I did find and fix one issue. I was using the
backtick character (`) in one place where I should have been using an
apostrophe. I´ve changed it. Please let me know if that fixes the
problem.
Thanks Mark! Everything works now on IE and Opera, as well as Vivaldi
and Chrome.

--
Jim
@poston

<< It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye! >>

Judy F.

That's good since I kept clicking the vote button. LOL

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

I probably voted several times, since I clicked the Vote button several times.
I think you can only change your vote, not vote multiple times.

-- Shal

Judy F.

Thanks Mark, but since I’ve already voted, I can’t vote again to see the Thanks For Voting message.  I believe you though.  LOL

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Mark, I just voted and clicked the Vote button, but I didn’t get any type message that my vote was recorded.  I then checked results and nothing happened so I assume it isn’t set up to show results.  I think a message should pop up telling the user that their vote was recorded and if the results are closed to users, the results button should be greyed out.

I just added an alert that says “Thanks for voting.” when you vote. Please let me know what you think.

Judy,

Thanks Mark, but since I've already voted, I can't vote again to see
the Thanks For Voting message.
Sure you can. Just go back to the vote display (if you're seeing the results display use the "Back to Vote" link below the results) and click the Vote button. That will bring you to the results display, with "Thank you for voting" in a pale green bar above the vote results.

Or at least, that's what happens for me.

If clicking the Vote button doesn't automatically switch you to the Results display then you have a deeper problem - the button may not be working at all.

-- Shal
Firefox (up to date), Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Mark, that is actually a much more standard way according to W3C to do this, and, for screen reader users as myself, that really really makes things much more accessible having those buttons.  Thank you for doing that!  Keep up the great work, my friend!  You're doing a fantastic job!

Chris.