Topics

moderated Photo searching #suggestion

Michael Dunn

Pleeeeeeezzzze add photo searching. We desperately need it, and surely this is something you could do in an afternoon. I don't understand why this hasn't been there from the get go... thx

Chris Jones

Having done some work on the photo archive in the group I moderate I can see that trying any search would be a dismal failure. Perhaps your members are more considerate about how they title albums and photographs. It is taking many hours over a lot of days to sort out.

Chris

Michael Dunn

On May 2, 2018, at 19:05, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:
I can see that trying any search would be a dismal failure

What?!? How so? We have 700 albums! Being able to search on descriptions and filenames would be a lifesaver. Sheesh.

Duane

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 03:20 pm, Michael Dunn wrote:
What?!? How so? We have 700 albums! Being able to search on descriptions and filenames would be a lifesaver. Sheesh.
Do you know that the photo you're searching for is named IMG_20160920_154327096_HDR.jpg?  Or that the poster described it as LFTtllt?  Those are actual items from one of the photos on one of my groups.

You may think it's an easy task, but you need to consider possible problems, database limitations, future enhancements, other requests, etc.  Mark has many improvements planned and has to schedule his time to benefit the most people for any task.

Duane

Chris Jones

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 03:20 pm, Michael Dunn wrote:
We have 700 albums! Being able to search on descriptions and filenames would be a lifesaver.
OK; you have 700 albums; we had 256, containing perhaps 2500 photographs (No - I didn't count them) most of which were "named" largely as Duane described: IMG_20160920_154327096_HDR.jpg or similar. It was, and in many respects still is, an alphanumerical soup, and that includes many of the Album names.

I have spent a lot of time trying to bring some order to the whole thing, with at least a degree of success, but it is tedious. One thing is for certain; it was totally unsearchable.

I had to create a whole new batch of albums, and rename many others to provide broad subject headings and then sub - headings to try to ensure that even if individual photographs aren't indexed their likely location could be. (FWIW as the Photos section has no index of its own I created one in the group wiki with each subheading being hyperlinked to the album concerned.) I have also (in some cases, not all) re - titled photos so that they appear in the album in some sort of sensible sequence.

The one thing that would have been of major benefit would have been the ability to move photos between albums (as one can with Files in Folders in the Files section) without having to download them and then upload them again; the big problem with this is that it changes the photos' attibutions so I have have to reattribute them to their originators in the "text area".

Perhaps you are luckier in the way your members upload photo material, but I strongly doubt it! At least we are down to about 200 albums and maybe half the original number of photos, having stripped out the near duplication and, frankly, the complete dross.

Yes; it has been and still it a lot of work, but perhaps that is the price of being a Moderator.

Chris

Tom Vail

Here is potentially a fix for this.  It would not work for a group who have people uploading hundreds of images, but for those who generally load only a few at a time, have the option to require the user to "Name" the image.

It would be a new option under the Photos settings for "Photo name" with 2 options:
       Use downloaded file name as photo name (default)
       Require user to name each image

As it is today, the name field would be prefilled with the file name, but it would either have to be changed, or a checkbox checked to say "Use this name."

Just a thought.
Tom

Noel Leaver

> Here is potentially a fix for this.  It would not work for a group who have people uploading hundreds of images, but for those who generally load only a few at a time, have the option to require the user to "Name" the image.

Another fix is to make users upload all files as attachments, as messages are fully searchable.

Noel