locked New Feature: Polls

I've just rolled out a new feature for those groups with the beta feature flag: polls. And I'm announcing it with this poll.

Details:

  • Polls are like specialized messages.
  • If you have permission to post a message, you can post a poll.
  • If you're moderated, or the group is moderated, the moderators will have to approve the poll before it's sent out.
  • Right now only groups with the beta feature flag have polls enabled.
  • To see if your group has the beta feature flag enabled, go to your group settings page. If there's a 'Beta' tag next to your group name, you're set.
  • If you don't have the beta feature flag and would like it, just send me an email.
  • Since polls are just specialized messages, you can reply to a poll message.
  • This is a beta feature; there could be bugs.

Please let me know what you think, if you see any issues, or have any suggestions.

Thanks, Mark

Results

See Who Responded

And to begin the bug reporting: I see that if the possible answers are long, they bleed into each other in the results. I’ll fix that this afternoon.

(also I mispeled the title of the poll)

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

[...]

1. Polls are awesome!
2. Polls are not quite awesome, but I celebrate people who think they are.
3. I have no particular opinion about polls or Mark.

Vote Now

On 10/27/2015 10:07 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

3. I have no particular opinion about polls or Mark.
4. I have no particular opinion about polls, and Mark is awesome!

dg

On 27 Oct 2015 at 10:07, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I've just rolled out a new feature for those groups with the beta
feature flag: polls.
Polls are awesome!

The layout is a little confusing. Is your vote recorded when you click a
radio button? Or when you Show Results? When you Show Results,
there's a link to Vote.

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< Don't blame me -- I voted Klingon. >>

Duane

From my experiment: Your first vote is recorded when you Show Results, I think. (I forgot to Show Results before I voted.) If you change your mind, click Vote and it gives the choices with yours selected. If you choose a different one and Show Results, it shows the changed tallies. And you can change again any time.

I'd like to be able to set an automatic closing date when I start one. A month would probably be normal, though there could be "emergencies" when a week or two would be needed.

I'd like to see a forever hashtag #poll for these, automatically added if it's forgotten.

I think that I'd rather have them closed/locked by default, so no replies are possible. I can't really think of a situation where discussion would be needed, but I'm sure it could happen.

Question: If you start a poll, then need to add or change a choice later, what happens?
1) The new choice/edit is added, but no existing votes change.
2) The new choice/edit is added and all votes are reset.
3) Polls can't be changed after there are any votes.

Duane

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Jim Poston <poston@...> wrote:

Polls are awesome!

Thanks!

The layout is a little confusing.  Is your vote recorded when you click a
radio button?  Or when you Show Results?  When you Show Results,
there's a link to Vote.

Your vote is recorded when you check the radio or checkbox button (which is used depends on whether your poll allows multiple responses). Show Results and Vote just toggle the display back and forth.

(I’ve fixed the poll display for long answers).

Mark

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

Question:  If you start a poll, then need to add or change a choice later, what happens?
1) The new choice/edit is added, but no existing votes change.
2) The new choice/edit is added and all votes are reset.
3) Polls can't be changed after there are any votes.

Right now, existing answers are not erased when a poll is edited. Should they be?

Carlos

1 sounds like the most flexible.  It also means less work for members who have already voted.

Question:  If you start a poll, then need to add or change a choice later, what happens?
1) The new choice/edit is added, but no existing votes change.
2) The new choice/edit is added and all votes are reset.
3) Polls can't be changed after there are any votes.

Right now, existing answers are not erased when a poll is edited. Should they be?

How about giving the user editing the poll the choice to discard or keep all previous answers, and the user will decide which is most appropriate in their situation.

JohnF

Duane

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 05:10 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Right now, existing answers are not erased when a poll is edited. Should
they be?

That's the way Yahoo did it and I hated it. When you thought of a new choice a day or two later, you started over or didn't add it. As Carlos said, it was a pain for group members. In some cases, we started a new poll after the first one closed with the new choices and the top ones from the old just so we could get a better idea of what the best response was. I vote for leaving existing votes. Many of those that are interested would check on the status and see the new choices.

Duane

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 7:46 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

That's the way Yahoo did it and I hated it.  When you thought of a new choice a day or two later, you started over or didn't add it.  As Carlos said, it was a pain for group members.  In some cases, we started a new poll after the first one closed with the new choices and the top ones from the old just so we could get a better idea of what the best response was.  I vote for leaving existing votes.  Many of those that are interested would check on the status and see the new choices..

One nice thing about treating polls as specialized messages is that when you edit a poll, it gets resent to the group, and you can view the diffs between different versions.

Mark

Terry S

The only existing answer that should be changed when someone casts a second vote is the first vote cast by that voter.

If the pollster is adding a new answer or changing an existing answer, then all answers should be changed and the voters notified that their votes have been canceled out due to an editing change and they should cast a new vote.

Does that make sense?

Terry S
--
"When women are depressed, they eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking." - Elayne Boosler

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 09:18 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
One nice thing about treating polls as specialized messages is that when
you edit a poll, it gets resent to the group, and you can view the diffs
between different versions.

Mark
I keep forgetting about that. I usually edit as Moderator and always select Save Without Sending in that case.

I just wanted to check on something. I see that plain text posts take me to the web page to vote. So if I have a group set to plain text, and someone is only getting emails from the group and didn't have a login set up, would they be able to vote? I don't see this as a big problem, but a reason to set up a login password.

Dano

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 6:50 AM, D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:
I just wanted to check on something. I see that plain text posts take me to the web page to vote. So if I have a group set to plain text, and someone is only getting emails from the group and didn't have a login set up, would they be able to vote? I don't see this as a big problem, but a reason to set up a login password.

There is no voting by email right now. All ‘Vote’ links in emails take you back to the web site to do the actual voting.

Mark,

I've just rolled out a new feature for those groups with the beta
feature flag: polls. And I'm announcing it with this poll.
1) Dano beat me to my first question: can the Direct Add members (no password) participate in the poll? In my version of the question the group allows HTML, but I note that the Vote link is to an URL different from the URL of the message itself.

In your answer to Dano I think you implied that the answer is "no", because the member is taken to the web site (and presumably without password wouldn't have access to the web page).

2a) My group has public archives. If the answer to (1) is yes in this case, does that imply that the public can vote?

2b) If my group's archive were restricted to members, could the special poll link be made sufficient to bring a no-password member to the poll and allow participation?

-- Shal

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

1) Dano beat me to my first question: can the Direct Add members (no password) participate in the poll? In my version of the question the group allows HTML, but I note that the Vote link is to an URL different from the URL of the message itself.

The vote link is just a redirect to the message archive at the poll message. <NerdInfo>I had to do a redirect because at the time I compose that email, the message object has not yet been created in the database, so I don’t know what the message number is going to be, and therefore don’t know what the archive URL is going to be. Kind of a chicken and egg.</NerdInfo>

But back to your question. Right now, the only way to vote is through the website, which requires you to be logged in.

2a) My group has public archives. If the answer to (1) is yes in this case, does that imply that the public can vote?

No, non-group members cannot vote.

2b) If my group's archive were restricted to members, could the special poll link be made sufficient to bring a no-password member to the poll and allow participation?

In the exciting word of computers, anything is possible. :-) Short term, less snarky answer: no. To allow voting through either email or through a per-user link, would require the generation of a unique email address/link per-user. We do that in messages now, in the footers, with the unsubscribe and other links. But the system is currently designed to only do those per-user substitutions in the footer for a message, not within a message itself. Seems a small distinction, but it would actually require a significant amount of reprogramming.

Mark

ro-esp

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 05:20 pm, JohnF <johnf1686@yahoo.com> wrote:

How about giving the user editing the poll the choice to discard or keep all
previous answers, and the user will decide which is most appropriate in their
situation.
That looks like the preferable option to me. Or simply don't allow polls to be edited at all

For the rest my main question is whether the polls are numbered. This is especially important if more than one poll is discussed.

groetjes, Ronaldo

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 4:52 PM, ro-esp <ro-esp@...> wrote:

For the rest my main question is whether the polls are numbered. This is especially important if more than one poll is discussed.

They are not numbered, but each poll has a (user-supplied) title. So you can differentiate them that way.

Benoît Dumeaux <dread_axefr@...>

About poll. Some ideas with this service: http://updwn.co/ "See what everybody thinks. Updwn lets you make simple, beautiful, real-time polls."

  • Up or Down (+1 0 or -1)
  • Realtime with possibility to add new option. But no notification of the news options

--
Dreadaxe