Email address in footer proposal


 

Hi All,

For groups that are not set to Reply To Group, the Unsubscribe link in the footer does not include any identifying information about the person receiving the message. This can be a problem if the person doesn't know what email address they are subscribed to the group under. 

My proposal is that, for groups that are not set to Reply To Group, that we include a line in the footer that specifies the email address that the person is subscribed under. I'm not a big fan of making the footer any longer than it is already (because I already get complaints about how long it is), but I think something needs to be added to address this issue. Other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Mark


Sharon Villines
 

On Apr 16, 2018, at 3:13 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

For groups that are not set to Reply To Group, the Unsubscribe link in the footer does not include any identifying information about the person receiving the message. This can be a problem if the person doesn't know what email address they are subscribed to the group under.
But it does appear in the header. That would seem to me to be enough.

I would remove "Terms Of Service" and add “Help”

And make the footer one line like the top line that begins “View/Reply …”

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"We're only the light bulbs, and our job is just to remain screwed in.” Bishop Desmond Tutu


Dave Sergeant
 

The email address should not be in plain text as that is a ready target
for spammers targetting group archives. Which is why I put my website
as my signature rather than my email address.

Dave

On 16 Apr 2018 at 12:13, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi All,

For groups that are not set to Reply To Group, the Unsubscribe link in
the footer does not include any identifying information about the person
receiving the message. This can be a problem if the person doesn't know
what email address they are subscribed to the group under.

My proposal is that, for groups that are not set to Reply To Group, that
we include a line in the footer that specifies the email address that
the person is subscribed under. I'm not a big fan of making the footer
any longer than it is already (because I already get complaints about
how long it is), but I think something needs to be added to address this
issue. Other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Mark

http://davesergeant.com


RickGlaz <rickglaz4742435@...>
 

Sometimes I voice opinions that are not well received.

Once I had a very personalized Domain and email address that was posted to the Staff
page by the Owner on a Tech Help Listserver site. (He called it a senior moment...)

I got SPAMMED so much for years I had to give up that Domain and email address...

Using your Domain in a Group setting such as this seems like the same situation
might possibly happen.

Rick



On April 16, 2018 at 3:58 PM Dave Sergeant <dave@REDACTED.com> wrote:


The email address should not be in plain text as that is a ready target
for spammers targetting group archives. Which is why I put my website
as my signature rather than my email address.

Dave

On 16 Apr 2018 at 12:13, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi All,

For groups that are not set to Reply To Group, the Unsubscribe link in
the footer does not include any identifying information about the person
receiving the message. This can be a problem if the person doesn't know
what email address they are subscribed to the group under.

My proposal is that, for groups that are not set to Reply To Group, that
we include a line in the footer that specifies the email address that
the person is subscribed under. I'm not a big fan of making the footer
any longer than it is already (because I already get complaints about
how long it is), but I think something needs to be added to address this
issue. Other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Mark

http://davesergeant.com


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Sent from my WEBmail.


Frances
 

Can you please clarify, Mark? Only email addressed to me would have my email address in the footer, right? Not those written by other members.

Frances


 

Frances,

Can you please clarify, Mark? Only email addressed to me would have my
email address in the footer, right?
Correct, only the outbound group messages bound for your inbox. Everyone else would receive their own address, not yours.

There is a circumstance that could expose your address though. If you reply and don't trim the footer it is sent in to the group. There's a mechanism that normally strips those quoted footers (before the message even makes it to Pending), but sometime tricky HTML code will fool it and the footer gets through to the message as posted.

I think that's a case where Dave's concern would come into play.

Shal


Dave Sergeant
 

If it is only in outgoing emails to the sender then indeed it is OK and
won't appear in the archives. But I am puzzled why it is needed anyway
as your email appears in the 'from' line, admittedly munged in some
cases to get round the DMARC issues - but that surely isn't an issue
for recognizing your own email..

Email addresses appearing in list archives is a very real issue - just
do a Google on your own email address and you will be surprised how
many times it appears, many of them within various lists you have
subscribed to.

Dave

On 16 Apr 2018 at 18:13, Shal Farley wrote:

There is a circumstance that could expose your address though. If you
reply and don't trim the footer it is sent in to the group. There's a
mechanism that normally strips those quoted footers (before the message
even makes it to Pending), but sometime tricky HTML code will fool it
and the footer gets through to the message as posted.

I think that's a case where Dave's concern would come into play.

http://davesergeant.com


 


On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM Dave Sergeant <dave@...> wrote:
If it is only in outgoing emails to the sender then indeed it is OK and
won't appear in the archives. But I am puzzled why it is needed anyway
as your email appears in the 'from' line, admittedly munged in some
cases to get round the DMARC issues - but that surely isn't an issue
for recognizing your own email..

Your email address doesn’t appear anywhere for list messages that you didn’t send. That can be a problem for people with multiple email addresses and who don’t know which address they’re subscribed with. That’s the problem I’m trying to address.

Mark


Dave Sergeant
 

Actually the header contains an Emvelope-to: line which has my email
address. But point taken.

Dave

On 17 Apr 2018 at 16:31, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM Dave Sergeant <dave@davesergeant.com>
wrote:

If it is only in outgoing emails to the sender then indeed it is OK
and won't appear in the archives. But I am puzzled why it is needed
anyway as your email appears in the 'from' line, admittedly munged in
some cases to get round the DMARC issues - but that surely isn't an
issue for recognizing your own email..
Your email address doesn´t appear anywhere for list messages that you
didn´t send. That can be a problem for people with multiple email
addresses and who don´t know which address they´re subscribed with.
That´s the problem I´m trying to address.

Mark

http://davesergeant.com


 

Hi All,

I just tweaked the footers. For HTML footers, you'll see that the lines are more condensed now.

For groups that are not set to reply to group, the receiving person's email address is now displayed in the footer. Which will help me greatly for the support emails I receive that say "I'm not subscribed to this list and I keep getting emails, get me off this damn thing!!!".

Thanks, Mark


 

Whereas for those of us who read emails in plain text, as often as not (as with
this message) there are no footers. It seems to depend on the sender, which
presumably means it depends on how they send. Most of Shal's messages, for
example, do show all the footers, with clickable links.

Jim Fisher

On 31 May 2018 at 10:25, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi All,

I just tweaked the footers. For HTML footers, you'll see that the lines are more
condensed now.

For groups that are not set to reply to group, the receiving person's email
address is now displayed in the footer. Which will help me greatly for the
support emails I receive that say "I'm not subscribed to this list and I keep
getting emails, get me off this damn thing!!!".

Thanks,
Mark
--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy
http://jimella.livejournal.com - misc. snippets, some political, some not
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com which doesn't spy on you


 

Jim,

Whereas for those of us who read emails in plain text, as often as not (as with
this message) there are no footers. It seems to depend on the sender, which
presumably means it depends on how they send.

You are correct, and this is a longstanding bug.

Messages sent in plain text have the plain-text style footer applied.

Messages sent formatted have the formatted footer applied, but only to the text/html part of the MIME multipart/alternative message body. The text/plain part does not get any footer applied (I've argued that it should have the plain text footer applied).
 
Most of Shal's messages, for example, do show all the footers, with clickable links.

Most of the time I send plain text messages. Not this time, as a counter-example.

Shal