moderated Change ownership on files and photos

William Finn

It would be nice to have the ability to change ownership on files, folders and photo albums as people change roles and if the data is for a specific role in an organization then assigning a new owner would mean we wont have to open up access to all members of a group

Liam

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 2:25 PM, William Finn <liam@...> wrote:
It would be nice to have the ability to change ownership on files, folders and photo albums as people change roles and if the data is for a specific role in an organization then assigning a new owner would mean we wont have to open up access to all members of a group

I do need to add this to help people who have moved from Yahoo. I'm just not sure how the user interface would work. A pop-up list of all members? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

William Finn

How about doing it at a folder level and the rights propagate to all containing files and sub folders

A check box lost of users would be the easiest way so you can grant more than one user access if needed.

The idea of more than one user is if you have a folder for board members, then picking all board members at once using a list with check boxes beside each user.  That way you do it once.

Also any time you modify you can uncheck to remove and check to add members .

Liam

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018, 4:43 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 2:25 PM, William Finn <liam@...> wrote:
It would be nice to have the ability to change ownership on files, folders and photo albums as people change roles and if the data is for a specific role in an organization then assigning a new owner would mean we wont have to open up access to all members of a group

I do need to add this to help people who have moved from Yahoo. I'm just not sure how the user interface would work. A pop-up list of all members? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

toki

On 04/13/2018 10:24 PM, William Finn wrote:

How about doing it at a folder level and the rights propagate to all containing files and sub folders
_Right of Attribution_, which is part of EU law on copyright, comes into
play here. You can't arbitrarily remove the name of a creator, from
their work. The definition of "work" is intentionally broad, and vague.

As a second point, GPDR compliance requires that changes be done within
five working days (Estonia). Ireland, with thirty days to comply,
appears to be an outlier.

If done at the folder level, the only legally acceptable solution I can
see, is that an individual can only upload material into a folder they
own. Two immediate consequences are:
* No more shared folders;
* No content outside of a folder;

Both _Right of Attribution_ and GPDR apply, regardless of the format of
the content/data in question.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

jonathon

William Finn

I see your point but the jury is still out on weather a public group/forum falls under this knowing that the user shares their data on here with knowledge that others can access it.

You must also consider that context t stored on here are not official versions of the documents and that they are published on here as a convince copy of the items posted to be generally shared.

Mark has plans to meet with his legal team to identify the effects of such regulations on groups.io

The main application of these regulations is copyright law and data protection.

The legal team may seem that content shared on a public group service does not apply as the user shared the data knowing it can be accessed by others

Also if such regulations does prevent such sharing then Yahoo, Google and every other forum, group service will have to shut down.  This we know wont happen.

On 04/13/2018 11:19 PM, William Finn wrote:

You must also consider that context t stored on here are not official
versions of the documents and that they are published on here as a convince
copy of the items posted to be generally shared.
Official or not doesn't matter. Incorrect attribution is, at best, a
copyright violation. If somebody requests all content relating to them
to be deleted, and something is incorrectly attributed, resulting in it
not being deleted, you just broke both GDPR and Copyright Law.

Mark has plans to meet with his legal team to identify the effects of such regulations on groups.io.
He's got just on forty days to get Groups.IO in full compliance with
GDPR. Might be a bit late to do so.

Also if such regulations does prevent such sharing then Yahoo, Google and
every other forum, group service will have to shut down. This we know wont
happen.
GDPR doesn't prohibit sharing content, provided the creator explicitly
consented to sharing the content, and the content is correctly attributed.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

jonathon

Arno Martens

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 09:42 pm, toki wrote:

GDPR doesn't prohibit sharing content, provided the creator explicitly
consented to sharing the content, and the content is correctly attributed.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

What if the TOS spells out that by posting anything in an IO group the creator explicitly
consents to sharing the content on a non exclusive, non commercial basis?
Arno

William Finn

But you are missing the main reason this is being added .... content migrated from Yahoo is assigned to the migrator as the owner so reassignment of ownership is needed.

On 04/14/2018 12:57 PM, Arno Martens wrote:

What if the TOS spells out that by posting anything in an IO group the creator explicitly consents to sharing the content on a non exclusive, non commercial basis?
GDPR requires explicit consent. Putting statements as above into Terms
and Conditions is not explicit consent.

jonathon

Drew

Maybe there should be something in the TOS similar to the restrictions for minors. To wit, people in jurisdictions where the relationship of the government to its subjects is essentially that of parent to child should be prohibited from subscribing.

Drew

On 04/14/18 11:07, toki wrote:
On 04/14/2018 12:57 PM, Arno Martens wrote:

What if the TOS spells out that by posting anything in an IO group the creator explicitly consents to sharing the content on a non exclusive, non commercial basis?
GDPR requires explicit consent. Putting statements as above into Terms
and Conditions is not explicit consent.
jonathon

Chris Jones

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 06:12 am, William Finn wrote:
But you are missing the main reason this is being added .... content migrated from Yahoo is assigned to the migrator as the owner so reassignment of ownership is needed.
Is that so? If it is then why did your post which started this Topic read as follows:

It would be nice to have the ability to change ownership on files, folders and photo albums as people change roles and if the data is for a specific role in an organization then assigning a new owner would mean we wont have to open up access to all members of a group.

Please tell because you have got me a bit confused, and others might feel the same.

Chris

Arno Martens

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 08:07 am, toki wrote:

On 04/14/2018 12:57 PM, Arno Martens wrote:

What if the TOS spells out that by posting anything in an IO group the
creator explicitly consents to sharing the content on a non exclusive, non
commercial basis?
GDPR requires explicit consent. Putting statements as above into Terms
and Conditions is not explicit consent.
jonathon

If users are permitted to upload Files and Photos maybe somewhere a request could be made to send a message to the group+owner, giving explicit consent to sharing the content on a non exclusive, non commercial basis, before being allowed to upload.

This would require an administrator setting, similar to he moderation permission.