moderated Lock Profile Display Names


William Finn
 

A suggestion on profiles.

Adding an option to restrict a User from Modifying their display name.

I have a group and want to preserve first and last names as the display name in the group. Users have a different idea and want to use nondescript display names.

It would be nice if the display name modification could be restricted so a Moderator or Owner can set the name and the user cant change it .

Liam


 

I have mixed feelings about forcing users to display their first and last names (Facebook, anyone?). I, too, routinely set members' display names - in my group's case, to their first name plus their cat's name. However, I think the user should maintain control over their display name. If they don't like what I've set it to for any reason, they can change it and I would not want to disallow that.

--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

Like J, I am hesitant to restrict a member's control over their own accounts. Having said that, I have a group that at one time had a big problem with anonymous trolls. The solution I use is to require a full name somewhere in the message or email address for all posts. (There are a few exceptions we allow where a person's name might bring problems should a quote show up outside the group.)

Members are set to unlimited moderation and stay that way until I know they're going to follow that rule. I'm very upfront about that rule and with treating people on the group with the same decency we would use for a person on the street. It's a little more work for me, but it seems to work itself out right away. I remind them that they're adults and have a few responsibilities to the group, and the privilege of not being moderated is tied to those.

Dano

----- Original Message -----

I have mixed feelings about forcing users to display their first and last names (Facebook, anyone?). I, too, routinely set members' display names - in my group's case, to their first name plus their cat's name. However, I think the user should maintain control over their display name. If they don't like what I've set it to for any reason, they can change it and I would not want to disallow that.
--
J


William Finn
 

Seeing as there is resistance to this, how about putting in first name last name fields that are available only to moderators or owners that way then we can link them back to the person but for everybody else they see the user created display name.

Then we can restrict modification to the first and last name fields so I can maintain my directory of the person's name linked to their email address and they still have the display name which they can modify to whatever they wish which is what is seen by everyone else

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018, 1:53 PM D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:
Like J, I am hesitant to restrict a member's control over their own accounts. Having said that, I have a group that at one time had a big problem with anonymous trolls. The solution I use is to require a full name somewhere in the message or email address for all posts. (There are a few exceptions we allow where a person's name might bring problems should a quote show up outside the group.)

Members are set to unlimited moderation and stay that way until I know they're going to follow that rule. I'm very upfront about that rule and with treating people on the group with the same decency we would use for a person on the street. It's a little more work for me, but it seems to work itself out right away. I remind them that they're adults and have a few responsibilities to the group, and the privilege of not being moderated is tied to those.

Dano

----- Original Message -----

I have mixed feelings about forcing users to display their first and last names (Facebook, anyone?). I, too, routinely set members' display names - in my group's case, to their first name plus their cat's name. However, I think the user should maintain control over their display name. If they don't like what I've set it to for any reason, they can change it and I would not want to disallow that.
--
J





 

Same privacy problem. I don’t give ANYONE in any group my last name and in a public group, as here, not even my first name. There are other users like me. I think requiring rhis would be a dealbreaker for the business, similar to FB’s ridiculous requirement about ‘real names.’


On Apr 11, 2018, at 10:56 AM, William Finn <liam@...> wrote:

Seeing as there is resistance to this, how about putting in first name last name fields that are available only to moderators or owners that way then we can link them back to the person but for everybody else they see the user created display name.

Then we can restrict modification to the first and last name fields so I can maintain my directory of the person's name linked to their email address and they still have the display name which they can modify to whatever they wish which is what is seen by everyone else

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018, 1:53 PM D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:
Like J, I am hesitant to restrict a member's control over their own accounts. Having said that, I have a group that at one time had a big problem with anonymous trolls. The solution I use is to require a full name somewhere in the message or email address for all posts. (There are a few exceptions we allow where a person's name might bring problems should a quote show up outside the group.)

Members are set to unlimited moderation and stay that way until I know they're going to follow that rule. I'm very upfront about that rule and with treating people on the group with the same decency we would use for a person on the street. It's a little more work for me, but it seems to work itself out right away. I remind them that they're adults and have a few responsibilities to the group, and the privilege of not being moderated is tied to those.

Dano

----- Original Message -----

I have mixed feelings about forcing users to display their first and last names (Facebook, anyone?). I, too, routinely set members' display names - in my group's case, to their first name plus their cat's name. However, I think the user should maintain control over their display name. If they don't like what I've set it to for any reason, they can change it and I would not want to disallow that.
--
J





--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

If your group requires first and last names, you can simply require it in your approval questionnaire, and then slap it into the member's Notes page.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Bruce Bowman
 

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 08:00 am, J_Catlady wrote:
I have mixed feelings about forcing users to display their first and last names (Facebook, anyone?).
Liam didn't ask for that...he asked for the option to do so with his own group.

We have a restricted-membership group for our non-profit. As people let their membership to the parent organization lapse, I'd like to be able to go into the listing and delete them from the group. If I don't know their email address and they're also allowed to obfuscate their display name, this can make subscriber maintenance challenging.

My $0.02,
Bruce


 

I'm not opposed to options in general but I am opposed to this one.
I am also opposed to the (required, non-optional?) first and last name fields that he is now suggesting.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Barbara Byers
 

I would agree with allowing it as an option by an owner for their group, at least requiring one or the other (display name or email).  Trolls and fake profiles are a big reason for a lot of the messes going on right now.  Isn't there an option now for owners to to go in and edit display names?  That seems pretty intrusive to me, yet if you want it as an option for your group, fine.  This seems like a reasonable option as well.

Also just my .02,

Barb B

 


On 2018-04-11 02:37 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 08:00 am, J_Catlady wrote:

I have mixed feelings about forcing users to display their first and last names (Facebook, anyone?).
Liam didn't ask for that...he asked for the option to do so with his own group.

We have a restricted-membership group for our non-profit. As people let their membership to the parent organization lapse, I'd like to be able to go into the listing and delete them from the group. If I don't know their email address and they're also allowed to obfuscate their display name, this can make subscriber maintenance challenging.

My $0.02,
Bruce


 

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 01:22 pm, Barbara Byers wrote:
Trolls and fake profiles are a big reason for a lot of the messes going on right now.
This is not a way to solve that problem. What is your definition of a fake profile? I can, right now if I wanted to, create 10 groups.io accounts, based on 10 of my various gmail accounts, all of which have various first and last names, and use them to apply to various groups. Requiring posting of the names (even as a group option) won't do anything to alleviate my trolling if I care to be a troll. Group owners can and do have various requirements for entry into their groups, and can implement them in various ways. Requiring posting and/or display of first and last names is not even related to the troll or fake profile issue.

 Isn't there an option now for owners to to go in and edit display names?
Yes, there is.  
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Jeremy H
 

I can understand the desirability of - and would support - an option that only group owners, and authorised moderators, can change display names - even if I wouldn't necessarily use it for my groups.

And I would say that it is down to each group owner to decide whether he has any standard for them, in including (or excluding) real (or fake) names, and whether he requires to know the real names (or any other details) of members. And that it is his privilege to do so, for his group. As it is my right to not provide them, and not be a member of his group.

Jeremy 


RickGlaz <rickglaz4742435@...>
 

Verification of IDs is tough. It took me 4 months of kicking and screaming
and a re-write of the "ID.ME" requirements to get myself through electronically.
Then SheerID was still broken... (I finished up with them an easier way.)

The first one is (one of) the Federal Gov't Official Verification Contractors for Federal Sites.

If they have trouble, do we really think we can do better? Rhetorical...

Rick

On April 11, 2018 at 4:55 PM "Jeremy H via Groups.Io" <jeremygharrison=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:


I can understand the desirability of - and would support - an option that only group owners, and authorised moderators, can change display names - even if I wouldn't necessarily use it for my groups.

And I would say that it is down to each group owner to decide whether he has any standard for them, in including (or excluding) real (or fake) names, and whether he requires to know the real names (or any other details) of members. And that it is his privilege to do so, for his group. As it is my right to not provide them, and not be a member of his group.

Jeremy
Sent from my WEBmail.


Bruce Bowman
 

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 01:55 pm, Jeremy H wrote:
I can understand the desirability of - and would support - an option that only group owners, and authorised moderators, can change display names - even if I wouldn't necessarily use it for my groups.
This capability already exists, as Barbara noted. 

And I would say that it is down to each group owner to decide whether he has any standard for them, in including (or excluding) real (or fake) names, and whether he requires to know the real names (or any other details) of members. And that it is his privilege to do so, for his group. As it is my right to not provide them, and not be a member of his group.
That's kinda of the point...if we can already change them anyway, the ability to "lock in" those changes isn't really taking away any "subscriber rights" (whatever that means). 

Over an over again, in GMF and elsewhere, I hear group owners assert that the owner sets the rules and subscribers should be expected to abide by them. I can't fathom why this particular example would be an exception.

Bruce


Jeremy H
 

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 05:55 pm, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 01:55 pm, Jeremy H wrote:
I can understand the desirability of - and would support - an option that ONLY group owners, and authorised moderators, can change display names - even if I wouldn't necessarily use it for my groups.
This capability already exists, as Barbara noted. 
Does it? (Methinks you may have missed the 'only') The ability for a group owner to change a member's display name certainly exists (via Admin > Members), AIUI this is always there, without setting an option: the question/topic is over an option that the member may not, so only owners can. (But there have been a lot of distracting comments over what should be in a display name)

If you think the option does exist, could you point us at it, please, as I can't find it.

Jeremy


Arno Martens
 

I would prefer a policy where members must give first and last name in their application but be allowed to request to have that suppressed from view.
A display name or an eMail address should only be able to be changed upon request of a member, either by approval or by the owner/moderator .


William Finn
 

I'm happy with that. When they sign up they get asked first name, last name , display name, email address

Then they can modify email and display name.

I just want owners and moderators to have the ability to see first and last name and if needed the ability to change them


For this to happen
Two new database fields to be added
Update signup form to include these fields
Modify members list under admins to display the information fields, 
Grant create/modify and view only access role and allow owner to grant or deny this to moderators.

Liam 



On Fri, Apr 13, 2018, 9:19 AM Arno Martens <snetram@...> wrote:
I would prefer a policy where members must give first and last name in their application but be allowed to request to have that suppressed from view.
A display name or an eMail address should only be able to be changed upon request of a member, either by approval or by the owner/moderator .




 

Unless the first-last name requirement is a group option, I could not be more strongly opposed to this.
As a group option, I still think it's a mistake for the product but would not fight it.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


William Finn
 

Sure, selectable fields work


On Fri, Apr 13, 2018, 11:20 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Unless the first-last name requirement is a group option, I could not be more strongly opposed to this.
As a group option, I still think it's a mistake for the product but would not fight it.
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Dave Sergeant
 

Agreed. User name should be what the individual wishes and we as
moderators should have no say over the matter. In our amateur radio
lists we encourage members to set their user name to callsign and first
name but it entirely optional. We should not be setting rules for it.

Dave

On 13 Apr 2018 at 8:20, J_Catlady wrote:

Unless the first-last name requirement is a group option, I could not be
more strongly opposed to this. As a group option, I still think it's a
mistake for the product but would not fight it.

http://davesergeant.com


Chris Jones
 

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 09:31 am, Dave Sergeant wrote:
User name should be what the individual wishes
Confusion Alert!! This topic is about Display Names; User Names are something else entirely and the two must not be confused with each other.

Chris