moderated Mobile App

William Finn

I was wondering if there was any plans to build a groups.io app for Android and iPhone.

I have been asked by some of my users so I told them I would pose the question

Thanks

Liam

Tom H

Given that the server provides a version optimised for mobile browsers, what would they expect from an app that goes above and beyond the browser interface?

William Finn

An always on system where you have access without the need to log into the page.

Access to the wiki, photos and files without having to navigate with a browser to find them

Maybe the option to sync files and photos

Liam

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018, 3:09 PM Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:
Given that the server provides a version optimised for mobile browsers, what would they expect from an app that goes above and beyond the browser interface?

Toby Kraft

I fail to see how navigating an app is fundamentally different than navigating the site presented by groups.io.  They would both have menus to access the different group areas.
In my opinion, it's way out of scope for groups.io, of little value, and very expensive.

see -> https://savvyapps.com/blog/how-much-does-app-cost-massive-review-pricing-budget-considerations
  • Apps built by the largest app companies, the "big boys", likely cost anywhere between $500,000 to $1,000,000.
  • Apps built by agencies like savvy apps cost anywhere between $150,000 to $450,000.
  • Apps built by smaller shops, possibly with only 2-3 people, likely cost anywhere between $50,000 to $100,000.
And groups.io is essentially a one man shop.  But then again Mark might consider providing that as an option on Enterprise for extra fee... just a thought...

I added a shortcut on my home screen on my phone, 4 taps got me to the files section listing in one of my groups....  (no login necessary as that was cached)
Toby

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 6:24 AM, William Finn <liam@...> wrote:
I was wondering if there was any plans to build a groups.io app for Android and iPhone.

I have been asked by some of my users so I told them I would pose the question

It's on the TODO list, and I had hoped to work on it the first half of this year, but it's slipped.

I do hope to improve the mobile website a bit soon now that iOS supports some parts of the progressive web app spec.