Topics

Strip Out Embedded images #suggestion


Bruce Bowman
 

Some folks send messages with images embedded, instead of attachments. These subsequently get replied to and the disease spreads. It's particularly annoying when someone has an embedded image in their sig line.

I'd like a group configuration option that would strip out embedded images and convert them to attachments. The super deluxe version of this is that any image in a sig line would be stripped...period.

Not sure how easy/hard this would be to implement but I wanted to put the idea out there. Thanks for your consideration.

Bruce


Ford Amateur Astronomy Club
 

I would like to add to this.

Ad the ability to not store the images no matter how they are attached or embedded so they don't use up space 


Arno Martens
 

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 01:06 pm, Bruce Bowman wrote:

The super deluxe version of this is that any
image in a sig line would be stripped...period.
Old eMail conventions used to preface any line of quoted text with a chevron, as seen above.
They also required anything (typically sig lines) to be stripped from a reply that was below a
[dash][dash][space][CR]

Test
--
Arno


Bruce Bowman
 

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 01:09 pm, Ford Amateur Astronomy Club wrote:
Add the ability to not store the images no matter how they are attached or embedded so they don't use up space 
While I like this idea, do consider the implications...those photos have to be stored somewhere. If they're simply discarded, any subscriber who prefers to read messages online instead of by email won't receive the images at all. Similarly, if a subscriber sends a message with a big photo or two and another subscriber has his personal delivery settings to not accept something that big (see Subscription->Advanced Preferences->Max Attachment Size), they won't see it, either.

We are both managing astronomy groups and imaging is a big component of that. While I would appreciate the flexibility to do it, I suspect our subscribers wouldn't be very happy with us if we actually put it into practice. 

Right now, my problem is not insufficient storage, but scores of little photos of people's faces, 150-byte PNGs of horizontal rules, and garbage like that littering the Emailed Photos folder. Lacking any bulk delete capability, keeping that cleaned out has become a significant chore...and from my perspective the best way to address the problem is not to allow such things to get in there in the first place.

Regards,
Bruce


William Finn
 

Then how about an auto expiry of the images after a specified time such as x number of days , weeks, months or years so that folder self cleans 

Liam 

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018, 8:27 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 01:09 pm, Ford Amateur Astronomy Club wrote:
Add the ability to not store the images no matter how they are attached or embedded so they don't use up space 
While I like this idea, do consider the implications...those photos have to be stored somewhere. If they're simply discarded, any subscriber who prefers to read messages online instead of by email won't receive the images at all. Similarly, if a subscriber sends a message with a big photo or two and another subscriber has his personal delivery settings to not accept something that big (see Subscription->Advanced Preferences->Max Attachment Size), they won't see it, either.

We are both managing astronomy groups and imaging is a big component of that. While I would appreciate the flexibility to do it, I suspect our subscribers wouldn't be very happy with us if we actually put it into practice. 

Right now, my problem is not insufficient storage, but scores of little photos of people's faces, 150-byte PNGs of horizontal rules, and garbage like that littering the Emailed Photos folder. Lacking any bulk delete capability, keeping that cleaned out has become a significant chore...and from my perspective the best way to address the problem is not to allow such things to get in there in the first place.

Regards,
Bruce


Tom H
 

Another idea is a mode that requires all message composition to be done on the website. That is, a one-way mail listserver. The Group settings could better control what is in the messages, e.g., no images in signatures, max size of image and other files...


 

On 11 Apr 2018, at 04:55, Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:

Another idea is a mode that requires all message composition to be done on the website.

I presume this would be an option, if implemented? All the folk who use our groups do so via email - pretty much no-one uses the web interface.

Likewise, any idea of auto-deleting images that are attached would be an option too, I presume, as we are a photography org, we wouldn’t want that to be de facto.

kind regards

Nick
__

dUNMUR | member of the Association of Photographers



Jeremy H
 

This is perhaps a concept that deserves to be raised separately... will do

Jeremy


Anita L
 

I agree with this. Please do this.

Anita


YT9TP - Pedja
 

I would be satisfied with simple message length limitation. If message is longer it is rejected.

And I would not bother if it contains large image embedded or attachment or whatever. On groups I admin, large emails are not welcome. We use email for communication not for file sharing. So far there is no option to set such limitation.


Jim Higgins
 

Received from YT9TP - Pedja via Groups.Io at 3/14/2019 09:38 AM UTC:

I would be satisfied with simple message length limitation. If message is longer it is rejected.

And I would not bother if it contains large image embedded or attachment or whatever. On groups I admin, large emails are not welcome. We use email for communication not for file sharing. So far there is no option to set such limitation.

I've never seen a message so large as to be objectionable unless it was a reply to a digest with the whole digest quoted. That said, a size limit on body text would probably be useful in some groups.

In "Settings," under "Message Formatting" you can "Strip Attachments." You might also want to look at Plain Text vs HTML for email.

There's no explicit setting for stripping embedded images, but I'm guessing that's either part of stripping attachments or part of messages in Plain Text. I'm guessing that because I've never seen an embedded image in my groups and I know some subscribers have tried to send them. Maybe someone else knows the details on this.

Jim H


Bruce Bowman
 

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
In "Settings," under "Message Formatting" you can "Strip Attachments." You might also want to look at Plain Text vs HTML for email. There's no explicit setting for stripping embedded images, but I'm guessing that's either part of stripping attachments or part of messages in Plain Text. I'm guessing that because I've never seen an embedded image in my groups and I know some subscribers have tried to send them. Maybe someone else knows the details on this.
I have tested this, and found that if your group is set to Plain Text, you won't be able to embed an image using the online message editor, because the html toolbar is disabled. However, you can still send one to the group via email...upon receipt, it will be converted to an attachment, routed to everybody, and appear in the Emailed Photos folder.

This includes those nice little sig-line images that we all know and love, the 150-byte W10 Mail PNG reply separator, etc. The only way I've found to disable them is to change the group Attachments setting to Bounce or Strip.

Our group does a minimal amount of file sharing via attachments, so this is not an option for us. In Pedja's situation such a setting might not be objectionable.

Regards,
Bruce


YT9TP - Pedja
 

I've never seen a message so large as to be objectionable unless it was a reply to a digest with the whole digest quoted.
Well then you deal with highly educated users :)

I guess for average internet user it is normal to drag and drop full resolution photo from his camera or mobile phone and attach it. Not jut singe image, whole folder. :(

In "Settings," under "Message Formatting" you can "Strip Attachments."
That is not an option as there is reasonable need to send some attachments within email, like documents.or illustrations.

As I suggested, the simplest solution would be to set message size limit and if message is larget it should be simply rejected.SEnder then can try to reduce size or attach content to some file sharing service and share link within email (which is, anyways, basic part of Netiquette)


Jim Higgins
 

Received from YT9TP - Pedja via Groups.Io at 3/15/2019 06:21 AM UTC:

In "Settings," under "Message Formatting" you can "Strip Attachments."
That is not an option as there is reasonable need to send some attachments within email, like documents.or illustrations.

As I suggested, the simplest solution would be to set message size limit...

Or you could set a size limit on images and larger ones will be downsized (rather than stripped) to that limit.. It's one of the available settings.

Jim H


Bob Bellizzi
 

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 07:23 AM, YT9TP - Pedja wrote:
As I suggested, the simplest solution would be to set message size limit and if message is larget it should be simply rejected.SEnder then can try to reduce size or attach content to some file sharing service and share link with in email (which is, anyways, basic part of Netiquette)
It seems to me that you suggested the best solution, at least, partly, above:
Don't allow any attachments, and insist that members use links to their photos.
Or, have them upload their files to the Files section of your group.

Besides, many email providers already limit the size of total emails allowed to be sent by their subscribers which would likely kill any emails with several high res photos.
 
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®
Founder & Executive Director, The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation


YT9TP - Pedja
 

Or you could set a size limit on images and larger ones will be downsized (rather than stripped) to that limit.. It's one of the available settings.
That is user setting. Option you have in group settings is just default for user. But, user may change it. And if you change it in group it does not affect existing members, only new ones.


YT9TP - Pedja
 

Attachemnts are welcome and needed, we just need tools to control the size.

With big players like Google size of emails became praclticaly unlimited. It really takes effort to strike size limitation.


Jim Higgins
 

Received from YT9TP - Pedja via Groups.Io at 3/18/2019 08:16 AM UTC:

Or you could set a size limit on images and larger ones will be downsized (rather than stripped) to that limit.. It's one of the available settings.
That is user setting. Option you have in group settings is just default for user. But, user may change it. And if you change it in group it does not affect existing members, only new ones.

No, that's a GROUP setting. ADMIN -- SETTINGS -- Settings -- Scroll down to PHOTOS -- See "Max Size in Photos Section" and "Max Size in Email." You can also drop down a bit farther to WIKI and see "Max Image Size in Wiki Images." These settings will affect future images, not existing ones.

The user changeable settings are in "Default Sub Settings" and there's no ability to resize images there. The "Max Attachment Size" setting found there sets the maximum size of an attachment Gio will send to a subscriber via email. If the subscriber sets a size that's smaller than a given attachment that attachment isn't sent to him. Note that this sets max ATTACHMENT size... meaning all attachments, not just images. In the case of images, they will have been downsized during upload to the size setting in the ADMIN --
SETTINGS -- Settings -Photos/Wiki section.

Jim H


dave w
 

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 08:06 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
It's particularly annoying when someone has an embedded image in their sig line.

I'd like a group configuration option that would strip out embedded images and convert them to attachments. The super deluxe version of this is that any image in a sig line would be stripped...period.

Given this has revived for another year, I'll add a general agreement Bruce.
But it has to be selective/ elective.
History groups, such as those I belong to thrive on data and photos or documentation that exists in single points of reference somewhere.
Culling all either in-line or attachments on email isn't practical or desirable. Certainly, ego-centric sig files and graphics, are not. Storage is either automated or not.

I'm forced to straddle the world of old (Yahew) and new IOG groups as admin and member. It is frustrating to see continued 'bad practice' from the old recurring here. Re-education is poorly implemented IMHO (by Group Owners I hasten to add)  and some admin/ owners are simply lazy and want everything automated.

Appreciate what IOG gives us and live within it. Enhancements ARE nice, but come at a cost.
Since I NEVER subscribe to email delivery, but always use the group sites (and who belonging to 20-30 interest groups would want all the dross that appears with a few pearls every now and again?) my own life is kept clean and clutter free, except when those pearls are found via group.

Thank you
+davew+