Topics

moderated Encouraging Enterprise Memberships

Sharon Villines

The one feature that would encourage my cohousing community to take a paid subscription would be a wiki that is as easy to use as Google Sites is.

I started the wiki years ago when our facilities team was not even happy using email. They loved it. Totally computer resistant people started entering information regularly and clearly. It records all the details about the facilities and services for a 43 unit residential community — descriptions, serial numbers, repair records, vendors, reports from vendors, costs, internet settings --literally everything with a number attached.

We were up against the space limits with no option to even pay for more storage. I deleted all the revisions so we can stay a bit longer. but they are also changing their format and will soon stop supporting the original format — I haven’t spent the time required to figure out what they are doing.

But a good wiki is worth its weight in gold.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"Design is the first sign of human intention." William McDonough

Sharon,

The one feature that would encourage my cohousing community to take a
paid subscription would be a wiki that is as easy to use as Google
Sites is.
I know you've commented on Groups.io's Wiki feature many times in GMF, but for the purposes of this request it would be helpful if you could enumerate in just what ways Groups.io's Wiki isn't as easy to use as Google Sites.

Recall that Mark said previously to you that he has no familiarity with Google sites. Neither do I and likely neither do many other readers here.

Totally computer resistant people started entering information
regularly and clearly. ...
--literally everything with a number attached.
It almost sounds like you're talking about a database, or some kind of amalgam of a wiki and a database. For tabular data consider Groups.io's Database feature.

But a good wiki is worth its weight in gold.
I'll concur with that!

Shal

Tom H

I have a few Google Classic Sites and I sympathise with Sharon's fear that their "upgrade" to New Sites could prove destructive. I'm a newcomer to Groups.io but I can mention some features that differentiate them.

Website builder vs Discussion Forum
100 MB vs 1GB free
Tight relationship with many Google products, including free Google Drive 15GB and Photos.
Page templates such as Web page, Announcements, Lists.
Many widgets.
Page trees, sub-page listings.
Auto or manual navigation menu design.
Page comments optional.
Page permissions inherited from site or set at page level.
All members of a Google Group can be granted a level of permissions on Site or Page and a level on Drive folder(s) or file.

They are two very different animals.