moderated Members emailing other members via the directory

Hi All,

I just added a feature to the directory. Members can now email other members, as a first step towards a DM system. Here is how it works:

- Under each member in the directory is an Email button, which takes you to a page to compose your email.
- You can only email someone who has opted into the directory (obviously), and their email address is not exposed to you during the process.
- The email subject has [DM] and the group subject tag prepended to it.
- You can only email a particular person in a group 2 times in 24 hours.
- You can only send 10 emails total per group per 24 hours.

1. What does the "From" look like on the received email? Does it show the sender's address, or some groups.io sender?

2. What happens if the mail bounces?

3. If you can only mail someone twice in 24 hours, that's not much of a DM capability. If responses also go through groups.io, maybe it can reset that counter when there's a reply.

4. If the recipient sends a message back like "STOP" or clicks a link, can it stop that sender from sending direct mails to that recipient? If this feature isn't there, the recipient might start marking the messages as spam, and you know where that leads.

5. I'm sure someone will want the ability to send a message to multiple people. Is that a good feature, or should they just create a group for that sort of thing?

Just typing things off the top of my head.

JohnF

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 05:25 pm, JohnF wrote:
1. What does the "From" look like on the received email? Does it show the sender's address, or some groups.io sender?
My test message displayed my email address. But then again, so does every other group email.

2. What happens if the mail bounces?
I would assume these emails will be exempt from the group bouncing protocols, but I really don't know.

3. If you can only mail someone twice in 24 hours, that's not much of a DM capability. If responses also go through groups.io, maybe it can reset that counter when there's a reply.
I suspect these limits are for spam avoidance. Do you really want someone sending you emails repeatedly? If so, after the first exchange or two you can take the conversation offline and simply not use the GIO interface.

4. If the recipient sends a message back like "STOP" or clicks a link, can it stop that sender from sending direct mails to that recipient? If this feature isn't there, the recipient might start marking the messages as spam, and you know where that leads.
Both the sender and the recipient must have their profile visible to other group members. So there is already a mechanism to stop someone...changing your profile back to private.

5. I'm sure someone will want the ability to send a message to multiple people. Is that a good feature, or should they just create a group for that sort of thing?
We now have the ability to send to individuals or to the whole group. There will always be other possible features but let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Bruce

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 05:25 pm, JohnF wrote:
1. What does the "From" look like on the received email? Does it show the sender's address, or some groups.io sender?
I've only tested initiating a DM from an owner account. A group+owner@groups.io email address is used. The reply-to also replies to that email address.
On the other hand, in my test, the group owner sees the member email address when composing the message. But that was already available to the owner.

2. What happens if the mail bounces?

3. If you can only mail someone twice in 24 hours, that's not much of a DM capability. If responses also go through groups.io, maybe it can reset that counter when there's a reply.
Only the initial DM is counted. Replies in the conversation do not increment the counter.

4. If the recipient sends a message back like "STOP" or clicks a link, can it stop that sender from sending direct mails to that recipient? If this feature isn't there, the recipient might start marking the messages as spam, and you know where that leads.

5. I'm sure someone will want the ability to send a message to multiple people. Is that a good feature, or should they just create a group for that sort of thing
Just typing things off the top of my head.

JohnF

Hi All,

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I could have been. This is to send an email to someone, without you seeing their email address. If that person then chooses to respond to the email, it goes right to you. We do not handle the responses.

If you're an owner/moderator, you're given the opportunity to send the message as from +owner, but otherwise the message comes from your email address.