moderated Posting as Owner / Moderator #suggestion


Chris Jones
 

The following has been the subject of some discussion on the GMF:

If an Owner or Moderator starts a "New Topic" then they can do so either as "themselves" or as the Group Owner. However, any replies they wish to make in any thread can only be done in their "personal" capacity.

1: Could things be changed to allow an Owner / Moderator to post replies (in any thread) as "Owner / Moderator".


However, when posting as an Owner / Moderator the individual's personal Display Name is shown on the website, and the email sent to members is sent as <Personal Display Name><Group Owner@...)

2: Could things be changed so that there is a separate Display Name for Owner / Moderator. Ideally this should be Owner selectable, perhaps with Owner / Moderator as a default setting, subject to the number of characters available in the Display Name field. (I don't think any limit is particularly low anyway, having looked at some of those on one Group!) The email sent to members should be <Owner><Group Owner@...) rather than the name of the individual.

Regards,

Chris


Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>
 

Chris,

This idea is probably not ideal, but you might be able to "fake" this functionality using two separate email accounts.

As a moderator, I've found it desirable to have a normal user account for checking out issues. A judicious use of email address and display names could serve to give you two different identities.
 
-- 
Gerald


On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 06:49 am, Chris Jones wrote:
The following has been the subject of some discussion on the GMF:

If an Owner or Moderator starts a "New Topic" then they can do so either as "themselves" or as the Group Owner. However, any replies they wish to make in any thread can only be done in their "personal" capacity.

1: Could things be changed to allow an Owner / Moderator to post replies (in any thread) as "Owner / Moderator".


However, when posting as an Owner / Moderator the individual's personal Display Name is shown on the website, and the email sent to members is sent as <Personal Display Name><Group Owner@...)

2: Could things be changed so that there is a separate Display Name for Owner / Moderator. Ideally this should be Owner selectable, perhaps with Owner / Moderator as a default setting, subject to the number of characters available in the Display Name field. (I don't think any limit is particularly low anyway, having looked at some of those on one Group!) The email sent to members should be <Owner><Group Owner@...) rather than the name of the individual.

Regards,

Chris


 

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 09:31 am, Gerald Boutin wrote:
A judicious use of email address and display names could serve to give you two different identities.
We do it that way. My group has a moderator account that all the mods can use anonymously when not wanting to post under our actual names. It has come in very handy in some situations.
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

 

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 09:31 am, Gerald Boutin wrote:

A judicious use of email address and display names could serve to give you two different identities.

 Gerald,

we have a special account named group-moderator that is used when general notices are sent to members.

Victoria


Chris Jones
 

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 09:31 am, Gerald Boutin wrote:
This idea is probably not ideal, but you might be able to "fake" this functionality using two separate email accounts.
You're right; it isn't. It seems to be a messy workaround which could be much simpler if the suggestions in my original were to be implemented.

Are you and others actually objecting to the proposal? In which case what are your grounds for that objection?

Regards,

Chris