From:    GroupName@groups.io
Subject:    Digest of messages for 10/06/2015

For your information:
Please do not reply to this message.  If you would like to reply to any of the messages listed below please click on the link of the message you would like to reply too.

List Preview of messages:

Digest Message Footer:
Information to unsubscribe and other group information.

That's my vote that you should do with this.

Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 10:20 PM
Subject: [beta] Digest headers

Hi All,

Right now, there's a lot of boilerplate at the top of digest messages. This is the template:

----
This is a digest of messages sent to the Group Name group.

The group email address is groupname@groups.io

Do not reply to this email. To reply to one of the messages in the digest, click on the link at the bottom of the message.
----

At some point I will switch to HTML digests, but in the meantime, I've gotten some complaints from people, especially when viewing emails on phones, that all this boilerplate makes getting to the actual messages difficult. I put the boilerplate there because people who want to unsubscribe generally don't read to the end of the digests.

What do you all think about moving some of this stuff to the bottom of digests?

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 08:20 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
This is a digest of messages sent to the Group Name group.

The group email address is groupname@groups.io
The group home is at: https://groups.io/org/groupsio/groupname
To change your subscription, visit:
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/groupname/editsub

Do not reply to this email. To reply to one of the messages in the digest,
click on the link at the bottom of the message.
Well, I guess the first question is, what happens if someone does reply to the message? Like "Get me off this list!" Does it go to someone, or does it bounce, or does it post a new topic?

If it bounces, you could include more details in the bounce about what this is and how to get off.

For the boilerplate, I would recommend:

This is a digest of messages sent to the Group Name group.

For more information and how to reply to a message or unsubscribe, see the bottom of this digest.

Then put everything at the bottom, ideally including "This digest was sent to <email-address>" in case that's forwarding to some innocent person.

JohnF

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
Maybe mention to change the subject?

This is how I think that this should go.

[...]

Sent from a Braille Sense

Linda

Hi Rajmund.
From: "Linda" <lindon@thetravelzine.com
To: beta@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 04:51:46 -0400

Hi Rajmund.
I like Mark's changes -- because I think list-serv emails should have the MOST catchy and important stuff at the top -- what the reader sees first. Personally I am much less likely to even READ emails that have boilerplate at the top. The CONTENT is what makes me engage and read on. As moderators, our goal is to ENGAGE and deliver real VALUE to our members -- not help cranky people unsubscribe (which admittedly is important and required by law, but not the POINT.) Thus, on every message and every screen, the goal is to MINIMIZE anything which is not NEW CONTENT or otherwise useful to the careless, fast-moving, fickle readers of today. So, Mark, if you could skip the line break between the two top sentences in your proposed simplified version, that will get the reader to the content even faster. One question: how will switching to HTML digests change things? Jennifer Christian

ro-esp

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 08:20 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

Right now, there's a lot of boilerplate at the top of digest messages.
At some point I will switch to HTML digests,
What for? I absolutely hate it when I receive a message, edit out extraneous and privacy-sensitive parts before I forward (part of) it, only to see that somehow automagically the entire thing appears in other places

but in the meantime, I've
gotten some complaints from people, especially when viewing emails on
phones, that all this boilerplate makes getting to the actual messages
difficult. I put the boilerplate there because people who want to
unsubscribe generally don't read to the end of the digests.
that's one of the unfortunate consequences of topposting/TOFU

What do you all think about moving some of this stuff to the bottom of digests?
I think that's where unsubscription-recipes are supposed to be...

[to be continued]
groetjes, Ronaldo

ro-esp

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 09:58 pm, JohnF <johnf1686@yahoo.com> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 08:20 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
This is a digest of messages sent to the Group Name group.

The group email address is groupname@groups.io
The group home is at: https://groups.io/org/groupsio/groupname
this could be shortened to one line:
This is a digest of groupname@iogroups.com, https://groups.io/org/groupsio/groupname

Do not reply to this email. To reply to one of the messages in the digest,
click on the link at the bottom of the message.
Like I said a long time ago, sometimes replying to a digest can be very practical, and if the subject is changed it should be accepted in the thread that the subject belongs to.
What you need to avoid is entire digests being sent back to the list, and having messages under pointless subjectlines.

Well, I guess the first question is, what happens if someone does reply to the message? Like "Get me off this list!" Does it go to someone, or > does it bounce, or does it post a new topic?
If it doesn't have a decent subjectline, it should not post a new topic, nor go to someone. It should trigger an automatic response saying things like

- please use a proper subjectline so your message will reach the right people
- if you want to unsubscribe, go here www.linkatdomain.xy or contact the moderator(s) here: address@groups.io
- please delete extraneous quotes before clicking "send"

groetjes, Ronaldo