Topics

moderated Feature Request: Ability to Attach Group File to Member Notice #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

I'd like the ability to set up one of the group files as an attachment to a Member Notice.

This would be a versatile opportunity to send a subscriber anything the owner feels is appropriate at some specified stage of their group subscription. It could be used to send a Pending Member a questionnaire (PDF fill-in form or whatever). It could be used to send an expiring member an application to renew. I'm sure others can think of other uses...

Note that this is already somewhat possible, in that system files are identifiable by URL and can be accessed via a link. However, this would only work for those who are already group members...my proposal would get the necessary file to the person regardless of their subscription status.

Just an idea,
Bruce

P.S. The existing system bug where people subscribing by email do not receive some of the documents and the Moderators are not adequately notified of status still needs to be fixed and should be given high priority.

Bob Bellizzi

You could always put the file in the Wiki as a page possibly and make the wiki public as many of us do already
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Bruce Bowman

How many people have read the wiki in the GMF forum? Be honest...

Bruce

Sarah k Alawami

I never read any wikies unless I have to. And that's me beeing  honest. In fact the list wiki for my list is disabled for that reason, no one is going to read it.

Take care

On Mar 23, 2018, at 2:48 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

How many people have read the wiki in the GMF forum? Be honest...

Bruce

Bob Bellizzi

I've read parts of it to get some clarity in some operations.  In fact I just did that today to make a decision about creating a subgroup.
I also used the GM wiki a great deal when I was a newbie.
Be honest yourself.  Would you rather just keep asking questions or piggyback on someone else's  knowledge base?
If you actually spent a bit of time looking at the GM wiki you might easily find the answers non only to questions you want to ask but to questions you never though to ask.
BTW  wikies is not plural for wiki; wikis is the correct plural
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 05:42 pm, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
Be honest yourself.  Would you rather just keep asking questions or piggyback on someone else's  knowledge base?
I have read the entire GMF wiki, and contributed to it as well. What I'm saying is that asking group members to read a public wiki is not an acceptable alternative to my file attachment proposal. People are accustomed to receiving email attachments. They can download them and let their antivirus software scan them. They are not as likely to click on a link to a wiki, where I have to somehow reproduce what I already have online as a document. And I am also forced to make the wiki public, which for whatever reason may be something I don't want to do.

[deep breath...]

Anything can be worked around. Groups.io has not had a questionnaire capability for years; and somehow the group owners managed to get by. The only reason we have a lot of people asking about that feature now is because we've had a massive influx of groups leaving Yahoo, and group owners want what they are accustomed to having.

Now, if Mark's ultimate goal is to have groups.io be a Y!G clone that actually works, I'm okay with that. But I'm willing to think outside of the Y!G box, and am offering the file attachment option as a...perhaps...more versatile means of achieving the same end.

If you [or anyone else] don't like my idea, that's fine. I don't like your wiki idea either, so in the end we are even.

Fair? :-)

Regards,
Bruce

I totally fail to understand the connection between (a) whether or not people have read some wiki and (b) Mark's adding an attachment capability to the pending subscription notice. Have we gone completely off the rails?

Patti

I totally support Bruce's request! In my old Yahoo group, which was recently transferred to Groups.io, I had three files that were sent to new members when they joined the group, in addition to the welcome mesage. I am not able to do that now and I miss that functionality.