Topics

moderated Moderator permissions addition/change


 

Hi All,

I just pushed the following changes:

- There is a new View Member List moderator permission (defaulted unchecked for existing moderators).
- If a group's Members Visible setting is Owners only, it used to be that we allowed moderators with one of the member change privileges (approve pending members, ban, etc) to also access the Members list. But now, if Members Visible is set to Owners, only owners can access the members list, regardless of whether moderators have any relevant privileges.

Please let me know if you see any issues. Adding this permission was a specific request from someone who couldn't accomplish what they needed with the existing permissions. 

I feel like I'm missing some additional permissions (permission to send an email to a member, for example), but dealing with this stuff is a bit of a headache because the permissions system is pretty complicated already.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

Mark, 

If you’re looking for more requests because you feel like you’re missing something, I would love to have a specific permission to ‘view notes’ on member pages.  I want to create some more moderators in my group but I’ve been holding off simply because I don’t want them all to have access to all the compiled notes about various members over the years. It can be very confidential and very personal info, including things members have told me Offlist about themselves and their situations. 


On Mar 19, 2018, at 9:54 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I just pushed the following changes:

- There is a new View Member List moderator permission (defaulted unchecked for existing moderators).
- If a group's Members Visible setting is Owners only, it used to be that we allowed moderators with one of the member change privileges (approve pending members, ban, etc) to also access the Members list. But now, if Members Visible is set to Owners, only owners can access the members list, regardless of whether moderators have any relevant privileges.

Please let me know if you see any issues. Adding this permission was a specific request from someone who couldn't accomplish what they needed with the existing permissions. 

I feel like I'm missing some additional permissions (permission to send an email to a member, for example), but dealing with this stuff is a bit of a headache because the permissions system is pretty complicated already.

Thanks,
Mark 

--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:13 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

If you’re looking for more requests because you feel like you’re missing something, I would love to have a specific permission to ‘view notes’ on member pages.  I want to create some more moderators in my group but I’ve been holding off simply because I don’t want them all to have access to all the compiled notes about various members over the years. It can be very confidential and very personal info, including things members have told me Offlist about themselves and their situations. 


Yes. Right now, some permissions grant a lot of extra access (mainly for things that don't currently have separate permissions, like mod notes), that should probably be made more fine grain. This happened as I added features but didn't add additional permissions. I need to go through and list all the missing permissions (or if someone could come up with a list that would help immensely).

Thanks,
Mark


Walter Underwood
 

I was working on a system and my tech writer kept asking me questions about the permissions. Then she came back with this lovely table of how it all worked. It made much more sense after she explained it to me.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@...
http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)

On Mar 19, 2018, at 10:24 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:13 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

If you’re looking for more requests because you feel like you’re missing something, I would love to have a specific permission to ‘view notes’ on member pages.  I want to create some more moderators in my group but I’ve been holding off simply because I don’t want them all to have access to all the compiled notes about various members over the years. It can be very confidential and very personal info, including things members have told me Offlist about themselves and their situations. 


Yes. Right now, some permissions grant a lot of extra access (mainly for things that don't currently have separate permissions, like mod notes), that should probably be made more fine grain. This happened as I added features but didn't add additional permissions. I need to go through and list all the missing permissions (or if someone could come up with a list that would help immensely).

Thanks,
Mark


Linda
 

Hi Mark,
With Members Visible set to Owners only, this is what I see now:  

 

View Member List
Approve Pending Members (also allows access to the member list)
Ban Members (also allows access to the member list)
Set Member Subscription Options (also allows access to the member list)
Set Moderator Privileges (also allows access to the member list and allows setting member subscription options)
Remove Members (also allows access to the member list)
which doesn't seem to agree with what you wrote...

Thanks,
Linda


On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 09:54 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
- There is a new View Member List moderator permission (defaulted unchecked for existing moderators).
- If a group's Members Visible setting is Owners only, it used to be that we allowed moderators with one of the member change privileges (approve pending members, ban, etc) to also access the Members list. But now, if Members Visible is set to Owners, only owners can access the members list, regardless of whether moderators have any relevant privileges.


Linda
 

Hi Mark,
I copied and pasted but the boxes disappeared on sending. Items 3, 4, and 6 were checked.
All the bolding was mine but I forgot to bold line 2, which wasn't checked.

Thanks,
Linda


On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 12:31 am, Linda wrote:
View Member List
Approve Pending Members (also allows access to the member list)
Ban Members (also allows access to the member list)
Set Member Subscription Options (also allows access to the member list)
Set Moderator Privileges (also allows access to the member list and allows setting member subscription options)
Remove Members (also allows access to the member list)


 

If that’s how it looks (I haven’t checked), to avoid the redundancy I would change the interface by making the permissions that imply access to the members list appear indented beneath it as additional permissions.


On Mar 20, 2018, at 12:31 AM, Linda <lindon@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,
With Members Visible set to Owners only, this is what I see now:  

 

View Member List
Approve Pending Members (also allows access to the member list)
Ban Members (also allows access to the member list)
Set Member Subscription Options (also allows access to the member list)
Set Moderator Privileges (also allows access to the member list and allows setting member subscription options)
Remove Members (also allows access to the member list)
which doesn't seem to agree with what you wrote...

Thanks,
Linda

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 09:54 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
- There is a new View Member List moderator permission (defaulted unchecked for existing moderators).
- If a group's Members Visible setting is Owners only, it used to be that we allowed moderators with one of the member change privileges (approve pending members, ban, etc) to also access the Members list. But now, if Members Visible is set to Owners, only owners can access the members list, regardless of whether moderators have any relevant privileges.

--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu