Topics

moderated automatic deletion, why?

Laurence Marks <marks@...>

Outlawmws wrote
You may know this already,  (but your user may not...) while in most (maybe all) spam folders the mail is "killed" and you cannot respond.  You have to mark it as "not spam" then go find it in your inbox.  THEN it should work again?  (not sure SBC is that mature of an Email service.)

I was just going to write the same thing. For those who aren't aware, sbcglobal.net (and att.net, bellsouth.net, pacbell.net, snet.net. swbell.net, ameritech.net, nvbell.net) are operated by Yahoo. The webmail was slightly different from native Yahoo.com webmail--we had different bugs--but seems to be slowly converging.*

The 1987 MFJ broke up AT&T into the regional Bell companies (baby Bells). In the early-90s they began to offer dialup internet--there was no free email in the pre-Google/Yahoo days. With the advent of free Yahoo mail (1997) and Gmail (2004), free email service was no longer an enticement. It became a cost burden--especially in the support area. Yahoo was looking for subscribers (ad viewers) and the baby Bells were looking to get out from under email, so Yahoo began providing email for all the Bell domains listed in the previous paragraph.

*One major remaining difference between the Bell domains and native Yahoo is authentication (login/password). The Bell users (at least Bellsouth) have the same password for Yahoo.com and for att.com. If you change it at one place, the other changes too. I believe that AT&T runs a Radius server to do this, but that's just conjecture.

Larry

--
Larry Marks

outlawmws

You may know this already,  (but your user may not...) while in most (maybe all) spam folders the mail is "killed" and you cannot respond.  You have to mark it as "not spam" then go find it in your inbox.  THEN it should work again?  (not sure SBC is that mature of an Email service.)

  -Outlaw

Janis

The only reason I even posted a message about the member being removed here is so that Mark would have another record of an incident with SBC Global marking members messages as spam.  It is my understanding that this group is to give Mark information about issues.  The pist was not a request for help, but an FYI.
The individual member will be the one to take care of his own business.  He was alteady added back to one of the groups.  I only am back here tonight to inform Mark that SBC will not allow him to open the invite to the other group.  And it was also in Spam!

Janis

Thanks outlawsmws.  That was one of our first topics aftervtransition but it will not hurt to remind everyone again.

I am peeved with SBCglobal now because they would not let him open the invitation I sent from Groups.io so he could rejoin!  So he will have to do a join request!

Janis

i am fully aware of that and the member is also aware of that but I worded it as it is worded in the notification topic for clarity.

Now his email is not letting him ope n the invitation I sent him!

So I will have him send a subscribe email.  Hopefully that will get him added back to the group.  SBCGlobal had moved a bunch of his mail to spam.  He had not been checking spam.

outlawmws

He needs to list the group Email or site (groups.io) in his contacts (or equivalent) so as to white list it...

KWKloeber

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 03:52 PM, Janis wrote:
I had a member using SBCGlobal removed this week from two groups for marking messages as spam.
Janis there is an important distinction.  The notice doesn't say THE MEMBER marked a message as spam.  It refers to their email provider as reporting to GIO that a message was marked as spam.  It is IMPORTANT that members KNOW/UNDERSTAND why/how it works and TO CHECK their spam boxes for GIO messages and NOT DELETE THEM (or leave them in there when they clear their spam folder.)  That's when they get reported and the member gets unsubscribed.
Members have a propensity to NOT read the messages -- one complained that he was unsubscribed for SENDING spam,  Sheesh, read much?

Janis

Just an FYI
I had a member using SBCGlobal removed this week from two groups for marking messages as spam.  He says he did not mark any messages as spa m and is unhappy about being removed.  So far he has not found any notifications from Groups.io with links to resubscribe.  Maybe sbcglobal did not deliver the notifications.  He only found out when I emailed him to ask if he still wants to be in the groups.  He does, but has not found the notices with the resub links!

At this point I am not sure they would deliver an invite either!

Chris Jones

Judging from an auto - deletion that arrived this morning wowway.com should also be on the list.

Chris.

Hi All,

Replying to my own email.... I have been looking into a delivery issue with centurylink.net email addresses. Some people are having their digests bounce with a '5.7.1 [P4] Message blocked due to spam content in the message' message. Not terribly helpful. Contacting the postmaster address, one part of their automated reply contains this advice:

Additionally, high volume senders can apply to our feedback loop here: fbl.synacor.com

Which I have now done. We'll see if that helps, but to me it seems to imply that it may help with delivery.

Cheers, Mark

Barb M

Is this a real negative or just speculation of what "might" happen?
This really HAS happened to me - it's not just speculation. We were still on Y!G at the time and my email was through my ISP (i.e. a small provider, which is probably significant). A couple of times I found myself tangled up in a "blacklist" battle, where I could not receive group emails because someone else on a far-off planet had abused the system and sent a bunch of spam. It sometimes took days to get off of that Blacklist.

Since then I have switched to gmail and we are no longer on Y!G... but, having experienced that frustration in the past, I applaud steps to prevent it!

A "different" Barb

toki

On 03/20/2018 08:06 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:

att.com is hosted by yahoo and I think sbc, pacbell and probably other of the ATT domains are likely at yahoo also
Does Oath still manage all of the email domains that Yahoo managed?

If so, at least another 20 domains can be added to that list.

jonathon

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:33 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We're signed up for the following FBL systems: aol.com, outlook.com, rr.com, earthlink.net, yahoo.com

att.com is hosted by yahoo and I think sbc, pacbell and probably other of the ATT domains are likely at yahoo also

So, does your Signup (above) cover these domains?

Yes. And Outlook covers Hotmail. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Bob Bellizzi

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:33 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We're signed up for the following FBL systems: aol.com, outlook.com, rr.com, earthlink.net, yahoo.com

att.com is hosted by yahoo and I think sbc, pacbell and probably other of the ATT domains are likely at yahoo also

So, does your Signup (above) cover these domains?

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

I also see a "resumed membership" log entry from someone  at sympatico.ca, but no log entry for removed-for-spam.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:33 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
We're signed up for the following FBL systems: aol.com, outlook.com, rr.com, earthlink.net, yahoo.com
And hotmail? I had a hotmail member removed for marking spam, but that was in Dec. 2016.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Lena <Lena@...> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:56 pm, Dave Sergeant wrote:

> why do Yahoogroups, Google Groups and all my
> other various email list providers continue to work well without having
> this automatic unsubscribe? Why have groups.io to do it

Because groups.io is not too big to block.

Lena's right. We currently peak at a little under 5M emails sent a day, which is a lot, but not so much that it would have a ton of fallout for blocking us. I think we're still in the range of "AOL is blocking you, it's your problem" vs "AOL is blocking you, it's their problem".

I signed up for the FBL systems because I didn't want us to be blocked. No one will use an email group service that suffers delivery issues. I've tried to make it as easy as possible to deal with false positives, with a one click re-subscribe. As a (I think valuable) bonus, list moderators know that their messages aren't ending up in spam folders.

No email provider will provide documentation on how their spam system works. Understandable, but that leaves me guessing about things. Here were some of my guesses:

- Signing up for an FBL makes us more legitimate, therefore perhaps we will suffer fewer blocks/be given more leniency
- Having a 'forcing function' that gets people to train spam filters to not mark Groups.io email as spam hopefully decreases the future likelihood of emails being marked as spam
- Fewer messages being marked as spam also makes us look more legitimate to those email providers
- Fewer messages being marked as spam will make group moderators happy and reduce support issues

But like I said, all of these were guesses and nobody was going to tell me whether they were correct.

We're signed up for the following FBL systems: aol.com, outlook.com, rr.com, earthlink.net, yahoo.com

We have been temporarily blocked by Earthlink at one point. I think we were also temporarily blocked by AOL at one point. But none of the others. I'm not sure this disproves my guess or not.

Right now, we're averaging 1 spam complaint to our hosting service (Linode) every 3 weeks or so. These days those seem to fall into 2 categories: someone on a group transferred from Yahoo, who is apparently confused and angry about what happened. The other category is reports from juno.com email addresses. I have no idea what's going on with those, as it doesn't appear to be based on complaints from the members involved. I think this level of complaints is ok, given the number of emails we send and the number of members we have. But I don't know what Linode's threshold for annoyance is; I have not talked with their trust and safety department and they don't seem to want to talk with me about it.

toki

On 03/20/2018 08:13 AM, Noel Leaver wrote:
I don't understand why the member is unsubscribed rather than sending of emails being suspended like it would be for bouncing emails.
Bouncing can be a transient computer induced glitch.

Spam is, at least in theory, verified by a human. The primary issue
being one person's spam is another person's gold.

jonathon

wunder,

DMARC is an anti-spam system ...

No, that is explicitly wrong. DMARC is an anti-spoofing mechanism. It has nothing to say about whether the messages are spam or not.

Yahoo has set their DMARC policy to “reject”, so any mail that is suspicious is rejected instead of delivered.

You've got it backwards. DMARC is a request by the sender that anyone receiving a message claiming to be from them (email header From) should make some extra tests and if the message fails the tests the receiver is asked to follow the policy. Some receivers do, some don't.

Hence Yahoo Mail's DMARC policy does not control mail inbound to Yahoo Mail. But Yahoo Mail does implement DMARC checking on inbound messages and they appear to respect the policy settings of others (including their own - for inbound messages that originated at Yahoo Mail).

It seems that they trust email sent from their own domain, so bounces from Yahoo email addresses never happen for Yahoo Groups.

Correct. They effectively "whitelisted" messages from Yahoo Groups by marking the yahoogroups.com domain as an allowed sender under Yahoo Mail's policies and/or including yahoogroups outbound servers in Yahoo Mail's SPF policy.

It seems that Yahoo’s DMARC will sometimes accept email from a groups.io group and sometimes not. When it rejects the email, the user is unsubscribed because the mail bounced.

No, the member is not unsubscribed for a bounce. An unsubscribe would occur only if Yahoo Mail also sent an abuse report to Groups.io - and I'm not sure it is possible or valid to send such a report for a message the service rejected at the outset.

Nearly all other providers use a policy of “quarantine”, which accepts the mail but puts it in a spam folder. That policy does not cause this problem.

And some email receivers, such as Gmail, don't strictly obey the sender's DMARC policy. Gmail takes into account more than that before deciding how to handle an inbound message. And in particular, Gmail appears to reliably ignore senders' DMARC when a message passes through a mail list like Groups.io.

Shal