moderated Automatic Deletion of Members / Spam Messages #suggestion

Chris Jones

I have joined this Group prompted by Shal Farley following problems caused by the automatic deletion of members following an email sent to them being marked as spam. I will not trouble members of this Group by going over ground already covered in exchanges over the last 24 hours by unnecessary duplication. For the record I am a Moderator on one Group, and a member of several others.

On the basis of what I have read already (and that took a lot of finding!) this is a continuing problem, and that at the moment at least there is no obvious “technical” solution to it. A large part of the overall problem can be put down to the absence of any “help” published in the Help section and I seem to have talked myself in trying to prepare some guidance; I don’t want to go too far down that route until I have at least tried to have one or two minor changes introduced; I would only have to amend the help shortly after I had written it.

So here goes…

The messages sent to members being automatically deleted and to the Owner and Moderators of their parent Group are IMHO not as clear as they might be. Looking first at the message to Owners and Moderators because it is the easier to deal with, one received yesterday read (with the identity of the member concealed):

Hello,

Thank you for choosing Groups.io groups.

Cheers,

The Groups.io Team

This clearly "blames" the individual member, when in fact it was his email service provider that marked the message as spam.

May I suggest a rewording as follows:

Hello,

Thank you for choosing Groups.io groups.

Cheers,

The Groups.io Team

Turning now to the message sent to the member concerned; it read as follows:

Hello,

Because your email service reported to us that you have marked one or more messages from wireless-set-no19@groups.io as spam, you have been automatically removed from the group. You will receive no more emails from that group. If this was a mistake, you can resume your subscription within the next 3 days by clicking the following link:

Resume Subscription

Groups.io groups offer several options for controlling how much and what types of emails to receive. See this Help Center article for more information.

If this happens repeatedly please check with your email service to learn about how they decide to send feedback reports to list services (such as Groups.io groups).

Cheers,

The Groups.io Team

Until I contacted the person concerned he was deeply distrustful of the above; it looked like an unsolicited invitation to click on a link and we all know the trouble that can cause! Needless to say he had not marked one or more messages from wireless-set-no19@groups.io as spam so he had no idea about what had happened.

May I suggest a rewording as follows:

Because your Email Service Provider reported to us that one or more messages from [GroupName]@groups.io has been marked as spam you have been automatically removed from the group.  Please note that this "marking as spam" may have been done by your Email Service Provider and not by you. We suggest that you check your spam box as soon as possible to see if your Email Service Provider has diverted legitimate messages into it. (Your Email Service Provider may not be the same as your Internet Service Provider.)

You will receive no more emails from that group. If this was a mistake, you can resume your subscription within the next 3 days by clicking the following link:

Resume Subscription

Groups.io groups offer several options for controlling how much and what types of emails to receive. See this Help Center article for more information.

If this happens repeatedly please check with your email service to learn about how they decide to send feedback reports to list services (such as Groups.io groups).

Cheers,

The Groups.io Team

IMHO the above changes would reduce the confusion and lack of understanding amongst Group Members and Owners / Moderators with (hopefully) not much work being necessary to achieve it.

Regards,

Chris

Frances

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 10:16 am, Chris Jones wrote:

 I have never understood why an owner or moderator would want to turn off the notification that they get. The way it is presented, it seems to be almost recommending this. Surely the owner / moderators want to know that there are members being unsubscribed due to spam.

Perhaps it should say, that you may modify your notifications if you wish. Log into .....

Happy with the proposed notice to the unsubscribed member.
Except perhaps saying that deleting an email from your inbox does not trigger the spam action and is safe to do if you wish. (Or something like that - there are people who want to clean up their inbox!)

Frances

Frances

Sorry, my quotation made it look like Chris was recommending the wording to the owner. He was quoting from the Groups.io message.

Frances

Chris,

I have joined this Group prompted by Shal Farley following problems
caused by the automatic deletion of members following an email sent to
them being marked as spam.
For other's curiosity, this topic:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/15036408

A large part of the overall problem can be put down to the absence of
any “help” published in the Help section ...
I agree. Having a fuller explanation on site somewhere (written for the member and for the group admins), and cited in their respective notices, might head off a lot of misunderstandings.

I don’t want to go too far down that route until I have at least tried
to have one or two *minor* changes introduced; I would only have to
amend the help shortly after I had written it.
Good thing wikis are trivial to amend. ;-)

Turning now to the message sent to the member concerned ...
I like your replacement of "you have marked" with "has been marked". I would also add "sent to you" so as to retain the context of why this message is going to this member.

For brevity I would drop the "Please note..." sentence; that's redundantly stated by the following sentence suggesting that the member check their Spam folder. I also would discard the parenthetical about the ESP possibly being different than the ISP - it just introduces an extraneous question. So I would suggest:

-----
Because your Email Service Provider reported to us that one or more
messages sent to you from [GroupName]@groups.io has been marked as spam
you have been automatically removed from the group. We suggest that you
check your spam box as soon as possible to see if your Email Service
Provider has diverted legitimate messages into it. For further information see [link to aforementioned explanation].
-----

Shal

Bob Bellizzi

In future, there should be a reference & link to the help article for further expansion of information in re the potential issues for groups.io should it not perform this unsubscribe.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've made the changes in the emails.

Chris Jones

Mark; many, many thanks for doing that. As chance would have it there was a "new format" message in my Inbox when I switched on this morning (UK time).

Any chance of a copy of the message to members being posted here so that we can copy it into the wiki?

Thanks again.

Chris

Martyn de Young <martyn.groups@...>

I too have been confused by these messages, and these changes will, I'm sure, help. Is it actually necessary to delete members though? Could it not be made possible to set their preferences to "no email" (or perhaps a new status of "suspended email") in this circumstance, until the member and or admin can resolve the issue, so at least they could still access via the web interface.

Just a thought.
Regards,
Martyn