moderated Database export as CSV #suggestion

Toby Kraft

This has been discussed in older threads but the current Export button just displays the data in CSV format in the browser.
Suggest that the button generate a file with a .csv extension and send that with the headers as a download so that users get a file they can open in a spreadsheet program easily.
Thanks
Toby
PS - checked trello and did not see an item related to this.

Toby,

Suggest that the button generate a file with a .csv extension and send that with the headers as a download so that users get a file they can open in a spreadsheet program easily.

I prefer it as it is. Usually I copy/paste it into Excel
  o In the browser window select all then copy (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C)
  o In the Excel window paste (Ctrl+V)

Being forced to download and open a .csv file seems like more steps to me. If I want to save the .csv file instead of copy/paste it is simple to use the browser's Save As command to write the window to a file.

Shal

Tom H

I cannot find a way of copying the export display into either Google Sheets or Excel on Android. Would a download of a .csv file be the solution?

Michael Rickey (AF6FB) <michael.rickey@...>

Yes, that should work.

Michael Rickey AF6FB
949-298-0529

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018, 17:03 Tom H <ve3meo@...> wrote:
I cannot find a way of copying the export display into either Google Sheets or Excel on Android. Would a download of a .csv file be the solution?

Tom,

I cannot find a way of copying the export display into either Google Sheets or Excel on Android.

In Chrome if you touch the menu (three dots vertical, to the right of the address bar) you can then select Download (the middle icon at the top of the menu). What you do from there I'm not sure, as I don't use Google Sheets or Excel on Android, but at least you now have it in a file.

There's probably an equivalent action in other browsers to save the page in in a file.

Shal

Toby Kraft

Tom, Shal,
I managed to get it to work with Excel.
Download the text file using the download button.
Rename the file with .CVS extension.
In Excel, open file from the folder, it will ask to convert the file.
Should end up with the data in a worksheet.

I had no luck with Sheets since the downloaded file was marked as a text/doc file and Android would not open it with Sheets.
Toby

Tom,

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 08:16 pm, Toby Kraft wrote:
Download the text file using the download button.
Rename the file with .CVS extension.
In Excel, open file from the folder, it will ask to convert the file.
Should end up with the data in a worksheet.
That worked! (Except the extension is .CSV) I was trying to use Share to get the data into something and, of course, all that transfers is the URI.
I had no luck with Sheets since the downloaded file was marked as a text/doc file and Android would not open it with Sheets.
Sheets opened the .csv file just fine on my device. Both Sheets and Excel were offered as apps to open it.

Tony Moody

Hallo Toby,
"It" does that already.  If I do Members/ [sort the way I want]/ Download. The data appears on my browser screen as memberlist.csv.  All I then need to do is do a Save. Ctrl-S and choose where to put it.

Use your spreadsheet program to open that and it should quickly convert that to a spreadsheet, which you can Save As memberlist.ods or whatever.

I tried a Click in the Browser and Drag to a spreadsheet but that didn't work.
What does work slickly (without having to save the memberlist.csv) is:
in the browser window, do a Select All, do a Copy ;
go to the spreadsheet and do a Paste, which will start the Import process.,

Mark thought of everything.

hth,
Tony

On 16 Mar 2018 at 10:39, Shal Farley wrote about :
Subject : Re: [beta] Database export as CSV #

Toby,

Suggest that the button generate a file with a .csv extension and send that with the headers as a download so that users get a file they can open in a spreadsheet program easily.

I prefer it as it is. Usually I copy/paste it into Excel
o In the browser window select all then copy (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C)
o In the Excel window paste (Ctrl+V)

Being forced to download and open a .csv file seems like more steps to me. If I want to save the .csv file instead of copy/paste it is simple to use the browser's Save As command to write the window to a file.

Shal

Toby Kraft

Tony, to clarify, I was commenting on how to get the data into a spreadsheet on Android.
The member/database export works well on PC, a little more involved on Android.
Thanks
Toby

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Tony Moody <aim@...> wrote:
[...]

Benoît Dumeaux

Another problems with exports of database is the connector/separator ",". I think this ";" is more adapted.

Toby Kraft

The Comma "," is the standard delimiter although other delimiters can optionally be supported.  see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values
"In computing, a comma-separated values (CSV) file is a delimited text file that uses a comma to separate values"
I see no benefit in supporting others.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 06:17 am, Benoît Dumeaux wrote:
Another problems with exports of database is the connector/separator ",". I think this ";" is more adapted.
Non,

CSV is comma separated values. Not semi-colons.

--
Gerald

Mark Irving

To export to a file

Open the database to the normal view (e.g. group - Databases - Links) and scroll to the buttons at the bottom. Right-click the green Export Table button, and choose Save Link As... from the pop-up menu. Save as appropriate-name.csv.

[I'm using Firefox on Windows; the instructions will be similar but not identical for other browsers on other operating systems.]

Export Table suggestion 1

The name provided by Groups.io for that download is downloadtable.txt. It would save a little messing about in the file-save-as dialog box if the name were table-name.csv with table-name filled in with the name of the table.

Export Table suggestion 2

The exported data do not include the ID or Updated columns. It might be helpful to include those columns.

 - Mark, Cambridgeshire, UK

Jeremy H

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 07:29 am, Mark Irving wrote:
Export Table suggestion 1

The name provided by Groups.io for that download is downloadtable.txt. It would save a little messing about in the file-save-as dialog box if the name were table-name.csv with table-name filled in with the name of the table.

Export Table suggestion 2

The exported data do not include the ID or Updated columns. It might be helpful to include those columns.

 - Mark, Cambridgeshire, UK

I agree with both these; and regarding suggestion 2 would go further, and so that the ID or Updated columns should be included by default - maybe with an option, to permit excluding them, if this can easily be done.

Jeremy