moderated 14-day expired pending member does not generate a log entry #suggestion #bug


 

I'm not quite sure if this is a bug/omission, or it's by design, in which case I'd suggest to add something about it to the activity log.

I had someone in a group apply over 14 days ago.  They weren't claimed, and they never answered the pending notice requests (unrelated to the recent spammers BTW), all the time in between still showing NC.  Yesterday or today, not sure (pun intended) they were unceremoniously gone as expected.  But there is no log entry that says so, all there is in the log is the applied entry and the two entries for my pending notice sending.

Don't you think there should be a log entry indicating the member was auto-rejected due to time limit expiration or whatever the reason would be, so the "case circle" would be closed?  Right now, unless if someone knows what happened, they are left wondering especially if they have a free group with no past members list capability.  In a premium group one can see that person listed as a past member, but the reason stated is "removed"***, kind of implying an admin removed them, but when they click on that reason link to get the log entries, there is no indication in there why they were removed or by whom.  To an untrained/not as knowledgeable mod this "lack of closure" can look a bit confusing.

*** that reason also seems to me to not be quite the right one, I think it should be rejected.

Cheers,
Christos


 

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 04:12 PM, Christos Psarras wrote:

Don't you think there should be a log entry indicating the member was auto-rejected due to time limit expiration
I think there should be. I would make the entry in the past members list say "expired" - not "removed." Currently, rejected members say "rejected" in the Past Members list.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 07:20 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would make the entry in the past members list say "expired"
Good call.  My original thought was rejected as in rejected (by the system) but expired is better, self-explanatory.

Cheers,
Christos


 

And did you say this is currently described in some log as “removed”? I think that should be changed to “expired.” Wasn’t sure whether you were talking hypothetically or factually and I have no examples to check in my group.


On Oct 9, 2021, at 4:42 PM, Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 07:20 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would make the entry in the past members list say "expired"
Good call.  My original thought was rejected as in rejected (by the system) but expired is better, self-explanatory.

Cheers,
Christos

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

The expired member is described as "removed" in the past members list.

Cheers,
Christos


On 2021-10-09 20:10, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
And did you say this is currently described in some log as “removed”? I think that should be changed to “expired.” Wasn’t sure whether you were talking hypothetically or factually and I have no examples to check in my group.


On Oct 9, 2021, at 4:42 PM, Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 07:20 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would make the entry in the past members list say "expired"
Good call.  My original thought was rejected as in rejected (by the system) but expired is better, self-explanatory.

Cheers,
Christos

--
J


 

So that should be changed to "expired."

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 7:56 PM Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

The expired member is described as "removed" in the past members list.

Cheers,
Christos


On 2021-10-09 20:10, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
And did you say this is currently described in some log as “removed”? I think that should be changed to “expired.” Wasn’t sure whether you were talking hypothetically or factually and I have no examples to check in my group.


On Oct 9, 2021, at 4:42 PM, Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 07:20 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would make the entry in the past members list say "expired"
Good call.  My original thought was rejected as in rejected (by the system) but expired is better, self-explanatory.

Cheers,
Christos

--
J


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

So to recap, the suggestion is:

For non-claimed pending members who expire after 14 days without being approved and get auto-removed from the pending members queue:

A. Change the reason text in their record entry in the past member list from "Removed" to "Expired"

B. Add an activity log entry which indicates their removal/rejection from the pending queue due the 14-day expiration and not being approved during that time frame. Maybe "Pending member abc@... was automatically rejected/declined due to pending membership time limit expiration, via system" or something along these lines. 

Part B would necessitate a new category added though, "Expired pending membership", "Pending member expired", or something like that, as the only existing category it could possibly go under would be "Rejected Member" but then it wouldn't quite jive with "Expired" in A above.

Cheers,
Christos


 

B. “Pending member xyz@abc expired and was deleted.”


On Oct 9, 2021, at 10:14 PM, Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:



So to recap, the suggestion is:

For non-claimed pending members who expire after 14 days without being approved and get auto-removed from the pending members queue:

A. Change the reason text in their record entry in the past member list from "Removed" to "Expired"

B. Add an activity log entry which indicates their removal/rejection from the pending queue due the 14-day expiration and not being approved during that time frame. Maybe "Pending member abc@... was automatically rejected/declined due to pending membership time limit expiration, via system" or something along these lines. 

Part B would necessitate a new category added though, "Expired pending membership", "Pending member expired", or something like that, as the only existing category it could possibly go under would be "Rejected Member" but then it wouldn't quite jive with "Expired" in A above.

Cheers,
Christos


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

You just have to be different, don't you? :)


On 2021-10-10 01:59, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
member xyz@abc


On Oct 9, 2021, at 10:14 PM, Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

member abc@xyz


 

No, I don’t. Just trying to be helpful, actually.


On Oct 10, 2021, at 5:08 AM, Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:



You just have to be different, don't you? :)


On 2021-10-10 01:59, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
member xyz@abc


On Oct 9, 2021, at 10:14 PM, Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

member abc@xyz


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

LOL, it got hidden in the collapsed quoted text as I didn't reformat it...

>>> J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
>>> member xyz@abc

>>> Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:
>>> member abc@xyz


 

Hi All,

I've added two new activity log entries, one for expired pending members and the other for expired pending messages. The entries are of the forms:


test@...'s pending subscription expired and was deleted, via system" and "test@...'s pending message "test" expired and was deleted, via system
test@...'s pending message "test" expired and was deleted, via system


We currently do not log when topics are locked or deleted via hashtag rules. Is there any reason why I should not add activity log entries for those actions as well?

Thanks,
Mark


 

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

We currently do not log when topics are locked or deleted via hashtag rules. Is there any reason why I should not add activity log entries for those actions as well?

Sorry, this should say that we don't have separate activity log entry for expired topics, they just read that they've been deleted.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

Mark,
Every month my group gets the “topic deleted by system due to expired hashtag” log entry for our group guidelines.
???


On Oct 13, 2021, at 9:56 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

We currently do not log when topics are locked or deleted via hashtag rules. Is there any reason why I should not add activity log entries for those actions as well?

Sorry, this should say that we don't have separate activity log entry for expired topics, they just read that they've been deleted.

Thanks,
Mark 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 10:10 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Every month my group gets the “topic deleted by system due to expired hashtag” log entry for our group guidelines.

Oops. Nevermind, can't read my own code.....

Mark 


 

🤣🤣🤣


On Oct 13, 2021, at 10:14 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 10:10 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Every month my group gets the “topic deleted by system due to expired hashtag” log entry for our group guidelines.

Oops. Nevermind, can't read my own code.....

Mark 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu