moderated FTP interface to Files, Photos? #suggestion

Tom H

Has there been any discussion about allowing Owners, Moderators to have FTP interaction with Files and/or Photos?

I see there have been requests for bulk download and other operations such as moving files. The current UI for uploads sucks when the number of files is large because the UI generates a thumbnail for each file and you cannot start the upload process until it is finished.

Both of those issues could become non-issues if there were FTP access to those areas. It's of primary interest to group founders and organisers while subscribers would have little or no direct interest. While the best solution is to support the needs in the Groups.io user interface, this may be a case where the cost of development is way more than that of the workaround and is of direct benefit to few. Of course, one would think the subscribers will benefit from a better organised group site if the organisers have better tools.

Tom,

Has there been any discussion about allowing Owners, Moderators to have FTP interaction with Files and/or Photos?

Interesting idea. Tools like FileZilla make it pretty easy to keep a mirror copy of the files on your local drive in sync with the FTP site.

While the best solution is to support the needs in the Groups.io user interface, this may be a case where the cost of development is way more than that of the workaround and is of direct benefit to few.

That's about the only knock I can think of against FTP access: it might not be that easy for the less technically inclined group moderators to deal with. Well, there may also be a somewhat increased risk of abuse by way of an unscrupulous group owner leveraging Groups.io as generic web file storage - for free.

Shal

Mark Irving

I like the idea of FTP access to Files and Photos. A speed limit could be applied to uploads and downloads, such as a 10 files/minute maximum, and it would still be a valuable additional management tool in addition to the current individual-files-only user interface.

It might be a good idea to add a sentence to the group owners' terms and conditions, to make it clear that misuse of Groups.io as a file server for things not related to the group and to being a mailing list is not welcome. Rewrite that a little less politely and provide some sort of enforcement, perhaps.

Mark

Tom H

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 01:54 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
an unscrupulous group owner leveraging Groups.io as generic web file storage - for free.
Is that not possible now? Regardless,  how would FTP  make it worse?

Tom,

an unscrupulous group owner leveraging Groups.io as generic web file
storage - for free.

Is that not possible now? Regardless, how would FTP make it worse?
Note that I said "a somewhat increased risk". I imagine it is possible now, but by making access vastly more convenient I imagine it would increase the temptation to abuse it.

FTP is a very well known protocol with a long history of tool support as well as scripting and programming library support. This is a good thing for usability, but it also makes it a target for all manner of unintended use cases.

Shal