locked Is GMAIL putting groups.io in promo tab?


Maria
 

I noticed this morning and yesterday that the digests from our test group on groups.io are landing in GMAILs promotions tab instead of in the right inbox. 

I moved it over and asked it to stop doing that for groups.io but I'm wondering if this will happen to others with gmail. 

Anything that can be done to not have GMAIL treat it that way? 

thank you

Maria 


 

Yes. It does that sporadically in several groups I am in as well as my own. Very annoying and I worry that many members want realize this and will simply miss their digests.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2016, at 6:13 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

I noticed this morning and yesterday that the digests from our test group on groups.io are landing in GMAILs promotions tab instead of in the right inbox. 

I moved it over and asked it to stop doing that for groups.io but I'm wondering if this will happen to others with gmail. 

Anything that can be done to not have GMAIL treat it that way? 

thank you

Maria 


--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


Maria
 

I'm concerned about that with group transfer announcements. Wonder if there is a way to help gmail stop doing that. It's worrisome. 


 

If you mean transferring s yahoo group, no worries. Mark sends an individual email to all group members, digest or not, no-email or not. But I, too, wonder if there's anything that be find about this on the Grouos.io side. Gmail users can opt out of the tabs, but I suspect many group members don't realize they can do that, or even that there's a need to. The only other messages appearing in 'promotions' are pure advertising.


Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2016, at 6:38 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

I'm concerned about that with group transfer announcements. Wonder if there is a way to help gmail stop doing that. It's worrisome. 


--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

I just wanted to let you know that this has never happened in my Gmail account for any of the groups.io "real" groups that I've subscribed to.  Everything has always landed in my regular inbox.

I'm wondering if there's something in the testing group messages that triggers Gmail's promotions filter?  You might want to look at what goes out in a normal subscription (or other) message as opposed to whatever you're using for testing.

Brian


 
Edited

Not a testing issue. In one of the largest and oldest groups I'm in, the digest always lands in "Promotions." In my own group, it lands there selectively in a test member's account.[EDIT: "selectively" meaning sometimes it lands there, sometimes it doesn't - entirely unpredictable]

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I just wanted to let you know that this has never happened in my Gmail account for any of the groups.io "real" groups that I've subscribed to.  Everything has always landed in my regular inbox.

I'm wondering if there's something in the testing group messages that triggers Gmail's promotions filter?  You might want to look at what goes out in a normal subscription (or other) message as opposed to whatever you're using for testing.

Brian



--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


Maria
 

In our case it's true that we only started seeing that when we changed our test group name to something that in retrospect could sound spammy... We've changed it again and will add another gmail test user to see how it behaves. Hoping gmail is kind to groups.io!


 

I can tell you that for the largest group I'm in (also the oldest), the digests have continued to go into "promotions" even after the group name was changed because they have a subgroup. (They changed the top-level name to "support," which may be the reason gmail thinks it's spam? Still not good...)

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

In our case it's true that we only started seeing that when we changed our test group name to something that in retrospect could sound spammy... We've changed it again and will add another gmail test user to see how it behaves. Hoping gmail is kind to groups.io!



--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


David P. Dillard
 

I have looked high and low and I cannot even find a promo tab in my Gmail account which is TUMail at Temple University but is run by Gmail.




Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

On Sat, 7 May 2016, Brian Vogel wrote:

I just wanted to let you know that this has never happened in my Gmail account for any of the groups.io "real" groups that
I've subscribed to.  Everything has always landed in my regular inbox.
I'm wondering if there's something in the testing group messages that triggers Gmail's promotions filter?  You might want to
look at what goes out in a normal subscription (or other) message as opposed to whatever you're using for testing.
Brian


 

You probably have it disabled.

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM, David P. Dillard <jwne@...> wrote:


I have looked high and low and I cannot even find a promo tab in my Gmail account which is TUMail at Temple University but is run by Gmail.




Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...


On Sat, 7 May 2016, Brian Vogel wrote:


I just wanted to let you know that this has never happened in my Gmail account for any of the groups.io "real" groups that
I've subscribed to.  Everything has always landed in my regular inbox.

I'm wondering if there's something in the testing group messages that triggers Gmail's promotions filter?  You might want to
look at what goes out in a normal subscription (or other) message as opposed to whatever you're using for testing.

Brian









--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

David,

          Institutional Gmail accounts that don't end with "@gmail.com" allow all sorts of additional controls for the administrators.  As J_Catlady noted, the administrator may have either turned this specific tab off or disabled tabs altogether.

          If they're not disabled altogether, you should have a small "micro tab" with a plus sign like that in the attached screen shot which, if you click it, allows you to select which of Gmail's built-in filtering tabs will or will not be used and displayed.

Brian


 

Maria,

I noticed this morning and yesterday that the digests from our test
group on groups.io are landing in GMAILs promotions tab instead of in
the right inbox.
Ditto me for some beta@ digests.

I moved it over and asked it to stop doing that for groups.io
How did you do that? I was looking for a "Not Promotions" button (akin to the "Not spam" button when you select messages in the Spam folder) but didn't find one. Instead I used the Labels button, and unchecked the "Promotions" label on those messages. When I applied the change those messages popped over to the inbox.

but I'm wondering if this will happen to others with gmail.
Almost certainly.

Anything that can be done to not have GMAIL treat it that way?
As others have mentioned, one option is to turn off the Promotions tab. In the Settings page, on the Inbox tab, there are checkboxes for the Inbox types you wish to have. Primary can't be unchecked (of course), but Social, Promotions, Updates, and Forums can be.

If you'd rather keep the Inbox tabs, you may be able to use a message filter to force those digests to the Primary tab. Or, just be persistent about moving them (removing the "Promotions" label) - it is possible that Gmail learns your preferences (as it does with Spam).

On the bigger picture, of whether it is possible for you as a group owner, or Mark as the site owner, to do something, or not do something, that would keep the digests out of Gmail's Promotions tab (or other diversions), that I don't know - but I doubt it. After all, if we or Mark could, then likely everyone could - and that would defeat the purpose of the feature.


Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


Maria
 

Apologies for not quoting text I'm replying to but not sure how to do that on that on the iPhone.

Shal, I dragged and dropped the groups.io emails into the inbox. Then gmail asks you if it should automatically do that for other emails from that sender and I said yes. 

So if we tell members to do that hopefully they will and their gmail will learn.

we will have to include it in communications from our admin accounts. 

I was hoping in the same way Mark got AOL to stop blocking him he'd be able to talk some sense into gmail! But even Yahoo digests end up in Yahoo spam sometimes so.... :) 

Maria 



 

Maria, 

I, too, was hoping something could be done on the Grouos.io side akin to the spam issue. Agreed, I was thinking the same thing: if not,  these instructions will have to be included in the welcome message (or something like it), which is an ugly thought. And many members won't do it, or will be incapable of doing it.

I'm not sure I agree, Shal, that it's like spam. The messages I've seen in promotions have looked more to me like paid advertisements than the usual spam messages. ???

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2016, at 5:34 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

Apologies for not quoting text I'm replying to but not sure how to do that on that on the iPhone.

Shal, I dragged and dropped the groups.io emails into the inbox. Then gmail asks you if it should automatically do that for other emails from that sender and I said yes. 

So if we tell members to do that hopefully they will and their gmail will learn.

we will have to include it in communications from our admin accounts. 

I was hoping in the same way Mark got AOL to stop blocking him he'd be able to talk some sense into gmail! But even Yahoo digests end up in Yahoo spam sometimes so.... :) 

Maria 



--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

I tried posting this suggestion yesterday when I was still being moderated, but apparently it didn't pass muster or there's a backlog.

I really can't see how this issue is any different from having to set up a given e-mail address or e-mail domain in a "safe senders" list on most e-mail clients, but Gmail implements that through filters.  I routinely get instructions telling me to do this when setting up many different sorts of e-mail communications

If you create a filter with either "digestnoreply@groups.io" or just "groups.io" in the From: criterion and then check the "Never send it to spam" and "Mark as important" checkboxes in the filter actions these messages will always be placed in your inbox.  If you don't want to "Mark as important" you could also create a category for groups.io e-mail in general or digests in particular and check the "Categorize as" option and select the category you've created.

Brian


 

On 5/8/2016 6:32 AM, J_catlady wrote:

I'm not sure I agree, Shal, that it's like spam. The messages I've seen
in promotions have looked more to me like paid advertisements than the
usual spam messages. ???
Most are paid ads, but other things get in there also - and I suspect it
is based on who it's from. All of the mail from the Geek Squad on my
computer status are in there, so the filter for GMail probably says
Best Buy=store=ad, and is not bothering to use more finesse than that.

Also - all the monthly probes from my Mail-Man lists wind up there, no
matter where the list is housed.

dg


 

How can we reach the digest members to inform them about this problem? Does a "special notice" message get delivered individually to digest member,s or does it just go into their digest (which then goes into the "promotions" black hole)? Perhaps it's worth sending individual emails to each digest member about this?
--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

J_catlady,

I also forgot to add that I get that "selectively in promotions" behavior for a number of non-groups.io e-mail messages I receive, some of which actually are promotions that end up in my inbox and some of which are not promotions that end up in my promotions.

If I drag a couple of the ones that landed in promotions into my inbox tab Gmail tends to learn that I don't consider these promotions, too.  Gmail works in mysterious ways at times.


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

Well, since what gets put in "Promotions" is the direct result of the Gmail equivalent of message filtering there has got to be *something* about the digest content itself that's triggering that filter.

If this is a big concern then the "offending content" (for lack of a better term) needs to be determined that triggers the filter.

Another option is to create a filter in Gmail itself on e-mail coming from digestnoreply@groups.io doing something like always marking said messages as important, which effectively prevents them from ever going into Promotions.  I realize this is a workaround, but it can at least solve the problem from the user end until the "trigger" for what's getting certain digests categorized as Promotions can be determined.

Brian