moderated Group Description

"Group Information" and "Group Settings" contain necessary information. But in my eyes the term "Group Description" on the front page is unnessecary. For everyone knows the text under the cover photo is the description of the group. So why can´t we do without this term?
Victoria

Bruce Bowman

>> So why can´t we do without this term?

This label serves to identify the field so you know what to edit in the Settings. That said, I can see why some would consider it unnecessary; and in fact several of the labels found on the home page strike me as no less superfluous.

Bruce

I think that there are some considerations made to accommodate the sight-impaired members of groups.io. I don't know if this is explicitly one of them, but in any case, getting rid of this title might make things more difficult from that aspect.

Hi, J. and Bruce,

technically, I cannot contribute anything to this matter, f. e.  if that term “group description” serves any vital functional issue. I just find it takes space away aside from being another disturbing foreign term above my German group description.

To see here:

https://groups.io/g/cushinghundevital

But thanks for considering my issue

Victoria

---

I think that there are some considerations made to accommodate the sight-impaired members of groups.io. I don't know if this is explicitly one of them, but in any case, getting rid of this title might make things more difficult from that aspect.

technically, I cannot contribute anything to this matter
Victoria,

I don't think it's a technical issue. I'm trying to imagine this as a sight-impaired person reading the screen, and I think that "group description" serves a function in alerting them to what follows.

If your issue is simply a language issue, then "group description" is no worse than any of the other English titles on the page.

Also, a non-German speaking person (like me), or a person who knows just a little German and is interested in your group, gets a better idea of how to read your home page with the titles than without them.

J,

Well, it´s not a language issue alone. I simply find it redundant. There´s a title to the description already. I believe readers are clever enough to know that the text following the title is a group descriptionJ.

I post this in beta because I thought it could maybe be changed to optional.

By the way, I don´t think I´m so special about this. There were quite a few voices in this direction. Pre-formulated texts such as boiler plates and non-alterable titles generally make one feel being patronized, so as if, sorry to say this, group owners were not able to create their own texts for various situationsJ.

Victoria

---

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 09:45 am, Victoria wrote:
There´s a title to the description already.
Where? Maybe I'm missing something.

J,

Well, here´s the title. It´s in German:
Gesunderhaltung, Ernährung, Verhalten, Cushing und andere Erkrankungen“

It´s bold enough to make everyone see it´s a title.

And as far as I can see, most groups have a title which is self-explaining.

Victoria

---

Where? Maybe I'm missing something.

I see your point. But perhaps sight-impaired group members would not.(Literally.) I think I’ve said all I have to say. I doubt very much that Mark will remove the heading or make it optional, but it’s obviously up to him.

On Mar 11, 2018, at 10:16 AM, Victoria <dr.vcaesar@...> wrote:

J,

Well, here´s the title. It´s in German:
Gesunderhaltung, Ernährung, Verhalten, Cushing und andere Erkrankungen“

It´s bold enough to make everyone see it´s a title.

And as far as I can see, most groups have a title which is self-explaining.

Victoria

---

Where? Maybe I'm missing something.

At the risk of posting another 'me too' comment, I'd like to add my thoughts to this. I can understand having "Group Description" on the settings page so one knows exactly what the text box is for, but on the home page I don't see that it does anything terribly useful. To me, the description immediately following the title is more like a subtitle for a book - it's just a detailed continuation of the title. On one of my home pages (https://groups.io/g/MILW) the line "Group Description" is almost an intrusion into the idea being posted, because the description flows naturally from the title. Users with text readers would never notice the loss, because it is subsidiary to the title.

Given a choice, I would agree with Victoria and vote to leave the line "Group Description" off the home page.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Dano

“Gesunderhaltung, Ernährung, Verhalten, Cushing und andere Erkrankungen“
It´s bold enough to make everyone see it´s a title.
And as far as I can see, most groups have a title which is self-explaining.
Victoria
---
Where? Maybe I'm missing something.

Tony Moody

Hallo Victoria and Beta team,

I plead for the level of heading to be left as it is.
'Group Description' is redundant on the page but then too are all the other headings. However the headings are very useful as place markers when filling in the data for a new site. Please, for site development and for continuity sake leave the headings as they are.

Thanks,
Tony

On 11 Mar 2018 at 17:45, Victoria wrote about :
Subject : [beta] Group Description

[...]

Douglas Swearingen

Just for my 2 cents worth, I think the Group Description should stay as it is.

Doug

[...]

Toby Kraft

my 2¢ worth is to leave it also.  "Group Description" is one of 8 labels that identify different sets of information shown about the group.  It is somewhat redundant in that there is only one "description" item but for consistency it labels the area of the page where the description is displayed.  Group owners may or may not type in a description that is self-evident.

Toby

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Douglas Swearingen <dougiebehr@...> wrote:

Just for my 2 cents worth, I think the Group Description should stay as it is.

Doug

Barbara Byers

I agree, stay as it is.

Barb B

On Mar 11, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Douglas Swearingen <dougiebehr@...> wrote:

[...]

My suggestion was to make it optional. I know it sounds easy to do, but I also know it isn´t. New fields need to be created and functionalities changed. Maybe when Mark some day has time to make boiler plates in general optional as wished by me and a few other people here, "group description" on the home page could be made optional as well. People who need it leave it there, others can do away with it. For many such items it´s nice to have a choice.
Victoria

I have nothing against features being optional per group when the involve actual functionality, but options leading to an inconsistent user interface over various groups seems inconceivable to me. Maybe that’s just me.

On Mar 12, 2018, at 2:22 AM, Victoria <dr.vcaesar@...> wrote:

My suggestion was to make it optional. I know it sounds easy to do, but I also know it isn´t. New fields need to be created and functionalities changed. Maybe when Mark some day has time to make boiler plates in general optional as wished by me and a few other people here, "group description" on the home page could be made optional as well. People who need it leave it there, others can do away with it. For many such items it´s nice to have a choice.
Victoria

Barbara Byers

I agree, Catlady!