Topics

locked Download member list question with Windows

Hi All,

Someone is having an issue with the downloaded member list. They're running Windows, and I'm on Mac, so unfortunately I can't help. They would like to bring the member list into Notepad or Wordpad to edit (they just want the email addresses out of the file), but they're having problems because Windows doesn't think the .csv file is plain text.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could offer some suggestions?

Judy F.

I open CSV files in Excel.  Once they edit it they can save it again to CSV.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Someone is having an issue with the downloaded member list. They're running Windows, and I'm on Mac, so unfortunately I can't help. They would like to bring the member list into Notepad or Wordpad to edit (they just want the email addresses out of the file), but they're having problems because Windows doesn't think the .csv file is plain text.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could offer some suggestions?

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Mark,
Generally, based on file types, I would rename the CSV to txt, and open it in notepad.

Sent from a BrailleNote

Someone is having an issue with the downloaded member list. They're running
Windows, and I'm on Mac, so unfortunately I can't help. They would like to
bring the member list into Notepad or Wordpad to edit (they just want the
email addresses out of the file), but they're having problems because
Windows doesn't think the .csv file is plain text.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could offer some suggestions?

Linda

Hi Rajmund,
Will you please try that and advise.  I’m looking for a list of my members’ email addresses – only.

If anyone is familiar with the way Yahoogroups members Download used to be, that’s what I want.  (Things have changed since Neo.)

I do not have Windows Office but even if I did, the result would be unsatisfactory for my purposes.  There is way too much information.   (In Yahoogroups what we have used to be called members Export.)

Thanks,
Linda

From: "Linda" <lindon@...
To: beta@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 08:10:09 -0400

Hi Rajmund,
Will you please try that and advise. I�셫 looking for a list of my members�� email addresses �� only.

If anyone is familiar with the way Yahoogroups members Download used to be, that�셲 what I want. (Things have changed since Neo.)

I do not have Windows Office but even if I did, the result would be unsatisfactory for my purposes. There is way too much information. (In Yahoogroups what we have used to be called members Export.)

Thanks,
Linda

Generally, based on file types, I would rename the CSV to txt,
and open it in notepad.

Linda

Sorry Rajmund, I wanted YOU to see the result.  I had already done what you suggested.  Too much information for my purposes.
Thanks,
Linda

You shouldn't need office to open a CSV file.  I would try my
advice, but I don't own a list.  Although, I have worked and
with, and have opened CSV files, I can manage with them..  If you
would like, I could help with CSV generally off list.

Duane

There are several options that I've tried. Changing the extension to .txt allows me to open it in Notepad, but removing all the extraneous information is a pain.

Opening the file in Excel or Open Office Spreadsheet lets me delete the other columns easily. Then I can save it as a text file with just the first column. The procedure is a bit different for each program, but not too difficult to figure out. I can also do any other manipulation I might want, say email and user name only or sorting on a column.

I remember Yahoo having the option available to download only email addresses and could never figure out why it might be needed. I've always wanted at least the username along with it.

Duane

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Linda,
Ah, OK, that's why. I use speech, so by moving word by word, I can get the email addresses, or whatever I want to at the time, out of it. Or, better yet, import it to my address book, and go from there. Sorry that it didn't work for you.

Sent from a BrailleNote

Sorry Rajmund, I wanted YOU to see the result. I had already done what you suggested. Too much information for my purposes.
Thanks,
Linda

You shouldn't need office to open a CSV file. I would try my
advice, but I don't own a list. Although, I have worked and
with, and have opened CSV files, I can manage with them.. If you
would like, I could help with CSV generally off list.

Steph <hsrsp@...>

I have not tried downloading any lists of my group members but last time I tried that on a groups server I had to remove extra greater thans, quotation marks, and put them all on their own line.  And I would have to manually fix the file where it would just say the following.

Their Name as it appears in the members section,
Email Address,
& Message Delivery Status.

Steph