Topics

moderated Location of replies - Top or bottom

Judy F.

I have always preferred have the most current reply at the top of the message.  I thought I saw where some members are doing that while others aren't.  I looked at couldn't find anything that would allow the reply to the group to be at the top and also to include the original message.

Thank you,
Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

Arno Martens

Bottom quoting has only been around since Microsoft started the non Standard Outlook Express.

In the days of yore when we paid my the minute for dial up internet with slow modems, everyone top quoted and deleted EVERYTHING that was not essential to the reply.
Also, eMail clients would add a chevron each time a line was quoted so one could easily follow the attribution to the poster in multiple replies.

Sarah k Alawami

I always top  quote as for me it's easier  to read and I can just  hurry up to the next message. I think It's the users doing the bottom posting and not groups.io's fault, I hope?

On Mar 5, 2018, at 4:31 PM, Arno Martens <snetram@...> wrote:

Bottom quoting has only been around since Microsoft started the non Standard Outlook Express.

In the days of yore when we paid my the minute for dial up internet with slow modems, everyone top quoted and deleted EVERYTHING that was not essential to the reply.
Also, eMail clients would add a chevron each time a line was quoted so one could easily follow the attribution to the poster in multiple replies.

kr402

Top or bottom posting is individual preference.

What does it have to do with Beta?

Getting members to snip can be a problem.
Again that seems off topic to Beta.

Bruce Bowman

I think It's the users doing the bottom posting and not groups.io's fault, I hope?
Consider:

-- If half the users expect it one way and half the other, there's nothing Mark can do to make everyone happy. --
-- The word-wrap within quote text not only depends on page width, but also what font is being used for display and the depth to which things might subsequently get quoted.

For that reason I feel that enforcing quoting rules is a nearly intractable problem that can only be solved by the recipient's email client.

My $0.02,
Bruce

-- Sent from my humble desktop computer

ro-esp

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 04:31 pm, Arno Martens wrote:

Bottom quoting has only been around since Microsoft started the non Standard Outlook Express.
???? When was that? Interspersing has been around since usenet, or so I'm told

In the days of yore when we paid my the minute for dial up internet with slow modems, everyone top quoted
I'm not a fan of that expression, and shouldn't it have a hyphen, logically?

and deleted EVERYTHING that was not essential to the reply.
good habit

Also, eMail clients would add a chevron each time a line was quoted so one
and the good ones still do (although they may show it as something else, like coloured vertical lines). Yahoogroups used to do it too, but doesn't anymore

I always intersperse ( http://www.learn.to/quote ), so people know exactly which answer goes with which question. People who always toppost (TOFU) often reply to what they believe was said, instead of what actually was said. Interspersing forces you to reread what was actually said...

Unfortunately the business-community seems to prefer top-posting

groetjes, Ronaldo

Judy F.

I'm not sure how my question asking how to make sure my reply is at the top and not the bottom, got misread to a general discussion about  replies appearing at the top or bottom of the message.

My question was I thought I had seen some messages on groups.io where the reply was at the top instead of the bottom of the message.  I have always replied at the top of a message, but I can't find any option to change it so that always happens.  All I wanted was an answer where to look or how to make my reply appear at the top.

Thank you,
Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

kr402

Judy, replying via group or email?

Sending this via group as test where my reply goes, top or bottom.
I normally reply via email where it is easy to choose top or bottom.

Sharon Villines

On Mar 6, 2018, at 9:32 PM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:

My question was I thought I had seen some messages on groups.io where the reply was at the top instead of the bottom of the message. I have always replied at the top of a message, but I can't find any option to change it so that always happens. All I wanted was an answer where to look or how to make my reply appear at the top.
This is an option in your email program. People can choose one or the other.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

"Save Our Planet. It's the only one with chocolate."

kr402,

What does it have to do with Beta?
It would have to do with beta if the Reply feature encouraged one way or the other. And that was discussed a long time ago here.

The result is that Reply is relatively agnostic: it does not by default include a quote of the original at all. You have to either select a region of the original before clicking Reply, or use the "Quote Whole Post" button on the formatting toolbar after clicking reply.

In neither case does the Reply function leave the text cursor at a particular location - the user must click in the text box to start typing. There is a very slight bias towards top post (bottom quote) in that if the quoted text is larger than the edit box, the edit box is initially scrolled to the top of the quoted text.

The bottom line for Judy is that it is up to the replying member, and how they use the Reply function or their email interface.

Shal