Topics

locked Need publicly viewable archive option in subgroup #suggestion

Hi Mark!

I'm finding great uses for sub-groups in my PTA group - it is an awesome feature that I never knew I needed.

That said, I'm bumping into one seemingly needless restriction that is blocking one use I have in mind. The main PTA group has publicly viewable archives, and one of my subgroup use cases also needs publicly viewable archives, but that's not an option. I'd want this in addition to the existing choices (viewable by parent group members & viewable by subgroup members). Listed in parent group.

In fact, I could see a use case for publicly viewable archives in a subgroup of a parent group whose archives are members-only.

I think in this case I can work-around the limitation by using another group (not a subgroup) but that feels like a kludge and will complicate member management.

-- Shal

I wrote:

Need publicly viewable archive option in a subgroup

Other solutions to the same use case:

  • The ability to make specific Wiki pages publicly viewable
  • The ability to post a message to the messages archive without distributing it to members by email

Of the the three, making a Wiki page publicly viewable is probably the most generally useful.

-- Shal

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

I'm finding great uses for sub-groups in my PTA group - it is an awesome feature that I never knew I needed.

Glad to hear!

That said, I'm bumping into one seemingly needless restriction that is blocking one use I have in mind. The main PTA group has publicly viewable archives, and one of my subgroup use cases also needs publicly viewable archives, but that's not an option. I'd want this in addition to the existing choices (viewable by parent group members & viewable by subgroup members).

Hmm. At first blush I can't see a reason to not add that. One question: what would be the allowed changes to this setting? Right now, you can't go from viewable by subgroup members only to viewable by parent group members. Would you be able to go from viewable by parent group members to publicly viewable? I'm guessing no? So there'd be two 'one way only changes' with archive visibility for subgroups?

Mark

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
  • The ability to post a message to the messages archive without distributing it to members by email
Already exists through the use of a hashtag with that setting toggled.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

* The ability to post a message to the messages archive without
distributing it to members by email

Already exists through the use of a hashtag with that setting toggled.
[voice="Popeye"]Well blow me down.[\voice]

Don't know how I missed that. Was all set to write that as a suggestion until I hit upon the idea of using a subgroup instead.

-- Shal

Mark,

Hmm. At first blush I can't see a reason to not add that. One
question: what would be the allowed changes to this setting? Right
now, you can't go from viewable by subgroup members only to viewable
by parent group members. Would you be able to go from viewable by
parent group members to publicly viewable? I'm guessing no? So
there'd be two 'one way only changes' with archive visibility for
subgroups?
Well, I really don't like these one-way settings in the first place. I understand that members want some assurances, but I'm still in the "my group, my rules" camp, even on this issue. So I wouldn't have restrictions.

But that's a topic for another thread (I have ideas along the lines of saving the privacy of a message as per-message metadata - allowing the group moderator to change the setting without revealing messages posted under a more restrictive setting). Privacy of photos at Flickr is a per-photo adjustment, with a default applied at upload, so that's sort of my model.

That said, within your current scheme of things, yes. It would be consistent to have the one-way direction being from less restricted to more.

-- Shal

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

That said, I'm bumping into one seemingly needless restriction that is blocking one use I have in mind. The main PTA group has publicly viewable archives, and one of my subgroup use cases also needs publicly viewable archives, but that's not an option. I'd want this in addition to the existing choices (viewable by parent group members & viewable by subgroup members). Listed in parent group.

In fact, I could see a use case for publicly viewable archives in a subgroup of a parent group whose archives are members-only.

I just pushed the changes so that this is now possible. Sub groups can now have public archives. The permissions system currently works the same as it did before, however, so that you can't make a sub group's archives 'less' private than they currently are. So, if you have an existing sub group and would like for the archives to be public, let me know off-list the names of the subgroups and I'll manually set the archives to public.

Cheers,
Mark