Topics

moderated Left-hand Menu Request

Sue

Hi,

Getting several wishes off my chest this afternoon <g>

I know this ‘feature’ was requested by those whose moderation duties keep them far more busy than mine but having the Admin menu open all the time is becoming very annoying because I more often than not, want to get to the files or the database and have to close up the Admin menu first. It’s such a small thing really but sometimes I blink and wonder where the other features are because they’ve dropped off the visible page and I can’t immediately see them. Is there any way this could be optional or have some kind of memory associated with it?

Sue

Toby Kraft

Sue,
Um, but the Admin menu is only collapsed/expanded, all the menu items are always there, just scroll down...
Toby

Bob Bellizzi

If there's nothing for the moderator/owner to do, and you had previously collapsed the Admin sub menu,
when you return to groups.io, the Admin sub menu should still be collapsed.
It does for me on any of my groups that don't have Admn work to do.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Sue

Hi Bob,

I thought I must have missed something when I read your message so I’ve just tested it.

I opened my group, collapsed the menu, shut the window and reopened it. The menu was opened again so, for some reason, it doesn’t remember my choice. In fact, if I close up the menu and then go to some other place – directory or photos – the menu immediately reopens.

Interesting.

Sue

Carol Good

I'm having exactly the same issue; it's not just Sue.

Carol

Duane

Is there anything in the Admin menu that has a number beside it?  That will cause the Admin menu to expand automatically.  Once all those are taken care of, it should always start collapsed.

Duane

Sue

>Is there anything in the Admin menu that has a number beside it?  That will cause the Admin menu to expand automatically.  Once all those are taken care of, it should always start collapsed.

Duane, thank you, that does explain it. However what we have pending is applications from members who haven’t yet responded to our information request. They could sit there for two weeks which is the time we tend to wait for a response before deleting their request. Therefore during that time, which of course could be ongoing depending on how many requests we get, I still have the issue of the menu being open. The number at the top is sufficient for me to know there is something to look at, I don’t need the menu fully open.

I would still prefer a setting so I could keep the menu closed up.

Sue

Ginny T.

I agree that the "auto expansion" if there is anything pending can really be a pain. Not everything can be addressed immediately if you are waiting on people replying to subscription questions, or other clarifications. Just a "flag" by the Admin button rather than forcing the drop-down would be so much nicer and easier.
Ginny
--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========

Duane

If I remember correctly, it didn't originally drop down automatically.  It was implemented so folks could save a click when there was something needing attention. I can see where it would be inconvenient for those groups that wait for information before approval.  Maybe this could be made an option that could be set by subscription/moderator or group?

Duane

It's not a pain for me at all, it's perfect. I prefer it the way it is now so don't want the automatic dropdown to disappear completely. I don't mind if this is an option for each group, but I don't want it to just go. Mine is always open because I've alway got people pending (who haven't responded to the questionnaire usually). I can see pending members, pending message and message on my laptop screen without scrolling and that works really well for me.

Helen

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 04:09 pm, Duane wrote:

If I remember correctly, it didn't originally drop down automatically.  It
was implemented so folks could save a click when there was something needing
attention. I can see where it would be inconvenient for those groups that wait
for information before approval.  Maybe this could be made an option that
could be set by subscription/moderator or group?

Duane

Ginny T.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 04:09 pm, Duane wrote:
Maybe this could be made an option that could be set by subscription/moderator or group?
Either that or just a general flag next to the admin tab that signals that you have something to do there...
Gin

--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========