moderated New Yahoo group transfer system

Hi All,

I spent a good part of this week completely redoing how I do Yahoo Group transfers. No longer do you initiate transfers by inviting the transfer user to join your group. Instead, you go to https://groups.io/yahootransfer and fill out a form, with your Yahoo Group, your Groups.io group and what you'd like to transfer. You can then track the progress of the transfer through the website.

It's more automated than the previous transfer process and it gives people more information. Hopefully it'll help reduce the backlog of transfer requests. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark

Patty Sliney

Thank you SO much for doing this, Mark, fantastic.  I have a question if I might:  I will be moving a rather large list in a week or so, and I wanted to try to keep my group's size down to 1 GB.  However, our current photos section is 7 GB alone (the files are still in the MBs, so no worries about that section causing issues).  Is there a way I can move just the more current photo albums/photos so I don't transfer all 9 years' worth of photos?  My group just isn't set up to be able to obtain a membership fee from on an annual basis, to cover the $110 annual cost, so trying to keep our size down.  We're a sewing/quilting/embroidery group, so we're sort of heavy on the photos (of our projects, work, etc.)  Or, would I transfer everything, then go in and delete the older photos until we're down under 1 GB?

----- Original Message -----
Thank you SO much for doing this, Mark, fantastic. I have a question if I might: I will be moving a rather large list in a week or so, and I wanted to try to keep my group's size down to 1 GB. However, our current photos section is 7 GB alone (the files are still in the MBs, so no worries about that section causing issues). Is there a way I can move just the more current photo albums/photos so I don't transfer all 9 years' worth of photos? My group just isn't set up to be able to obtain a membership fee from on an annual basis, to cover the $110 annual cost, so trying to keep our size down. We're a sewing/quilting/embroidery group, so we're sort of heavy on the photos (of our projects, work, etc.) Or, would I transfer everything, then go in and delete the older photos until we're down under 1 GB?

Patty Sliney

Patty - Mark will likely contact you with some options. One option that might make a big difference is to resize the photos you have down to something smaller. A lot of people post photos larger than necessary because they don't know how to resize or don't have software for it. Mark might be able to use a combination of things to get the size down and still save most of your images.

Another thing you might want to do is check to see what you've set for a maximum image size the group will accept. There are settings to resize photos that are posted. Keep in mind that a 1024 x 1024 image will fill a high resolution screen from side to side and run off the top and bottom edges of the monitor.

We're getting into some things here that might be better discussed on GMF rather than tying up Mark's time on beta.

Dano

I should clarify something I wrote:
One option that might make a big difference is to resize the photos you have
down to something smaller.
That should be to *have Mark* resize the existing photos down to something smaller.

Dano

Tamra

Patty, we selected in the new Groups.io the size that would import before the transfer.
The transfer did work for some Y! Members albums but not all.

These two items helped control the import photo sizes.  7GBs of photos is a lot to go through.

Jeremy H

If you have the pictures off group, there are various programs that will do a bulk resize - I use Faststone Image Resizer, can set it going with suitable settings, and have a cuppa while it does its stuff. You may want to change image format (to jpg/whatever) or (for jpgs) reduce the quality setting at the same time.