Topics

moderated Phishing warnings

Mark Irving

Norton and Sucuri now find no problems with Groups.io.

Sarah k Alawami

Yep Now ti works. I just hit reload but will clearn the cache from my chrome anyway at some point probably when I run my clean up program as it does all of that for me.

Cool cool and blessings.L

On Feb 24, 2018, at 10:06 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:03 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Well, I didn't look at the site updates status on the beta groupas of yet, , however now it is in this maintenance mode. It  should be back by I think 1 something. Here is a screen cap

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4eulk6in6td8dd9/Screenshot%202018-02-24%2010.01.39.png?dl=1

Sarah, please hold down the shift key while clicking the browser reload button. You're viewing a cached version of the site.

I just changed the maintenance page so that hopefully it won't be cached in the future.

David Grimm

I'm stll getting the anti-phishing warning/block from Norton. But only on my Windows 10 machine. On Android and Windows Vista machines, no problem. I've white-listed groups.io in my Norton application, cleared the cache (twice), and still no go. Any other recommendations? Or just wait until Norton straightens out their information? Or is this belong in the GroupManagersForum?

Dave

Not that I object to seeing cat pics, but this will be very helpful! :-)

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:03 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Well, I didn't look at the site updates status on the beta groupas of yet, , however now it is in this maintenance mode. It  should be back by I think 1 something. Here is a screen cap

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4eulk6in6td8dd9/Screenshot%202018-02-24%2010.01.39.png?dl=1

Sarah, please hold down the shift key while clicking the browser reload button. You're viewing a cached version of the site.

I just changed the maintenance page so that hopefully it won't be cached in the future.

Sarah k Alawami

Well, I didn't look at the site updates status on the beta groupas of yet, , however now it is in this maintenance mode. It should be back by I think 1 something. Here is a screen cap

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4eulk6in6td8dd9/Screenshot%202018-02-24%2010.01.39.png?dl=1

Hope what ever happened can be fixed. Thank goodness my list is a quiet one.

Take care all.

On Feb 24, 2018, at 8:41 AM, Marina <@Biblit> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 01:57 pm, D R Stinson wrote:

Mark -
When I log in with Firefox, I get pretty much what Shal describes. AVG gives
me this warning:

We've safely aborted connection on www.groups.io because it was infected with
I use Firefox on Windows10 and AVG.
Never received any warning. Apart from yesterday's blackout, everything seems OK.

Marina

Marina

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 01:57 pm, D R Stinson wrote:

Mark -
When I log in with Firefox, I get pretty much what Shal describes. AVG gives
me this warning:

We've safely aborted connection on www.groups.io because it was infected with
I use Firefox on Windows10 and AVG.
Never received any warning. Apart from yesterday's blackout, everything seems OK.

Marina

LeeAnne

one member who was blocked yesterday just got in!
--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Glenn Rawsky & Rebecca Smith

my Norton Suite is also generating the exact same warning pages and blocks as shown below...

-Glenn

On 2/23/2018 4:37 PM, LeeAnne Bloye wrote:
My groups.io stuff is still working - was on it all day and never closed it.
Mods and members can't get on the site.
From one mod:
My Norton

From another:
I can’t access the group at all right now as my security software has suddenly blocked Groups i.o. as a known malicious site.

Also the member who can't access says all links to groups.io bring up warnings from Outlook about maleware (even the old digests)

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Sue

I'm also having no problems. I'm using Kaspersky and have tested my own site and here with IE11 and Firefox.

Sue

Sarah k Alawami

Hello. getting "infection detected" with groups.io, my mac and google chrome. I don't have a virus scanner on this thing so dunno what's going on. It also happened with safari on my mac as well. Take care all.

Take care all.

On Feb 23, 2018, at 3:23 PM, Carol Good <carol@...> wrote:

And yet bizarrely, I'm using Norton on 2 different computers - one with Chrome and the other IE11 - and neither is giving me any warnings or blocking me at all. Granted, I do have some of the more irritating of Norton's 'features' turned off, but even going directly to the message which is apparently causing the problem, I'm still not getting any warning.

Carol

Carol Good

And yet bizarrely, I'm using Norton on 2 different computers - one with Chrome and the other IE11 - and neither is giving me any warnings or blocking me at all. Granted, I do have some of the more irritating of Norton's 'features' turned off, but even going directly to the message which is apparently causing the problem, I'm still not getting any warning.

Carol

Ginny T.

One of my users reported being blocked through Norton as well...
Gin
--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========

Hi All,

I just got a response email from Microsoft saying that the review process typically takes 24 hours.

Sorry about this. I'll keep you posted.

Mark

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:08 PM, LeeAnne Bloye <ecir.archives@...> wrote:
At the risk of piping up where I know nothing (Please delete if this is dumb info):
One of our Mods just logged in using Firefox - no warning/block. So I opened my Firefox and typed in the addy to this thread.  Was only able to view with Firefox but have never used Firefox for anything groups.io related before.  (Downloaded it just yesterday to help member get groups.io signature posted with pictures she understood)

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

LeeAnne

At the risk of piping up where I know nothing (Please delete if this is dumb info):
One of our Mods just logged in using Firefox - no warning/block. So I opened my Firefox and typed in the addy to this thread.  Was only able to view with Firefox but have never used Firefox for anything groups.io related before.  (Downloaded it just yesterday to help member get groups.io signature posted with pictures she understood)

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

Maybe the fact that the cited message explicitly contained a "password" triggered the report. You've inadvertently joined the dark web...

My mom will be very disappointed.

I downloaded an Edge VM and got the warning, and went through the steps to report a mistake/represent myself as the site owner.

I also went to the Avast false positive reporting site and reported us there as well.

So, I guess now we wait? Not sure where else I should complain to.

Mark,

Maybe the fact that the cited message explicitly contained a "password" triggered the report. You've inadvertently joined the dark web...

I'd hate to suspect a smear campaign, but the tone of some of the warnings I've read...

Well that kind of bums me out.

In keeping with Hanlon's razor a perhaps more likely scenario is that a transferred group (or groups) didn't bother to warn their membership before the move.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Then hapless members receive this out-of-the-blue notice that they've been added to something that sounds vaguely like something they've been a part of. Some fraction of those people panic and assume it is some form of 'hacking" at work.

Of course, even if the group owners did try to inform them beforehand, some members may not have received or paid attention to the notice.

Shal

Sarah k Alawami

I believe I got that as well, or somethingn like it when loged in with safari. I heard "infection detected." or something like that.  I cant' remember the  exact warding, but just letting you all know I also got somethingn similar as well.

Take care all.

On Feb 23, 2018, at 1:57 PM, D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:

Mark -
When I log in with Firefox, I get pretty much what Shal describes. AVG gives me this warning:

We've safely aborted connection on www.groups.io because it was infected with URL:Mal .
More threats may be lurking!
Threat name   URL:Mal
Severity          1 of 3
URL               http:www.groups.io
Process          C:\Program Files (X86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Detected by    Web Shield
Status            Connection aborted

Interestingly, when I log in with Epic Privacy Browser I don't get any problems.

Dano