Topics

moderated This morning's downtime #outage

Hi All,

Something happened to the datacenter where the Groups.io machines are hosted at, starting around 10:12AM Pacific Time. This caused the Groups.io service to go completely off-line. I posted to the @groupsio Twitter account at 10:19AM announcing the problem. As of about 11:20AM, the site is back up and fully functional. I do not know the cause of the problem.

As an opportunity for learning, there are a couple of things that I will change because of this:

- At various points, some people going to the site received the cats maintenance page. The maintenance message was out of date, and referred to an old maintenance. I have fixed that.
- I will set up a status webpage, not hosted with the other servers/datacenter, where I will post when there are issues.

Hi Mark,

Every time the site goes down, I can't get into groups.io any more by going to (verbatim) groups.io. I have to get in some roundabout way, like using "view/reply to this message online" etc. Otherwise, I keep seeing the cat pics and the obsolete error message.

Is there an easy way to remedy this besides clearing my safari cache? Doing that is a big headache because I have to then log on everywhere else etc.

Thanks.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:38 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Every time the site goes down, I can't get into groups.io any more by going to (verbatim) groups.io. I have to get in some roundabout way, like using "view/reply to this message online" etc. Otherwise, I keep seeing the cat pics and the obsolete error message.

Is there an easy way to remedy this besides clearing my safari cache? Doing that is a big headache because I have to then log on everywhere else etc.

Please try a force reload. Go to groups.io, then hold down the shift key while clicking the browser reload button.

Ok, thanks, Mark.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:38 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Every time the site goes down, I can't get into groups.io any more by going to (verbatim) groups.io. I have to get in some roundabout way, like using "view/reply to this message online" etc. Otherwise, I keep seeing the cat pics and the obsolete error message.

Is there an easy way to remedy this besides clearing my safari cache? Doing that is a big headache because I have to then log on everywhere else etc.

Please try a force reload. Go to groups.io, then hold down the shift key while clicking the browser reload button.

LeeAnne

Hi Mark,
Think my last message got lost.
Not sure if this has anything to do with this thread but mods and members are getting blocked by dangerous site  and malewar warnings when trying to access groups.io.
--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist