Topics

moderated could invitation text be moved

I´ve started transferring my German group.

I wrote a German invitation text, but it shows up in the midst of the fixed English text. Is it possible to move my German text above the boilerplate or below the “Hello (Name)”?

Victoria

Kevin Conod <kdconod@...>

I second that - not just in Victoria's situation but I would rather my own message come first before the boilerplate info.

Marina

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 03:44 am, Victoria wrote:

I wrote a German invitation text, but it shows up in the midst of the fixed
English text. Is it possible to move my German text
above the boilerplate or below the “Hello (Name)”?
I would go a step further.

I think that having the possibility to address the invitee in his/her own language would reduce the risk of people marking the message as spam.
Why can't the message be *fully* customizable?
I am afraid that putting a text in German (or in Italian or whatever) in the middle of or above or below the text in English would make people even more confused.

I can understand that localization is not a priority now, but maybe we can start from this feature and give foreign group owners the possibility to invite members in their own language?

Thank you for your attention.
Marina

Andre Polykanine <andre@...>

Kevin, Victoria,
I join you here. And I'll once more try to explain that all custom
text (not only the invitation, but also message footers) should go
*before* the built-in stuff. Thus we will make users' life with no or
limited English much easier.

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre

I second that - not just in Victoria's situation but I would rather my own message come first before the boilerplate info.

Marina, Kevin,

Shal suggested to put the other language message inside two horizontal lines. Of course, this would make it less confusing.

But of course it would be helpful if members from non English-speaking countries could be invited in their own language without a boilerplate or English texts above or below.

I have no idea how big a job it would be to just inactivate this fixed invite text so each owner can write his own?

Victoria
----
Marina wrote: I would go a step further.

I think that having the possibility to address the invitee in his/her own language would reduce the risk of people marking the message as spam.
Why can't the message be *fully* customizable?
I am afraid that putting a text in German (or in Italian or whatever) in the middle of or above or below the text in English would make people even more confused.

I can understand that localization is not a priority now, but maybe we can start from this feature and give foreign group owners the possibility to invite members in their own language?

Thank you for your attention.
Marina

Andre Polykanine <andre@...>

Victoria,
In the case of blind users that just doesn't work.
I dare speak for the blind because I know quite a lot of blind-related
groups are transfered to Groups.io and new groups are created here.
That's because e-mail is still a very comfortable way of communication
for us, and Groups.io web interface is really accessible and usable
(thanks Mark!).
So, two horizontal lines just don't work because a screen reader would
interpret the text line by line. And there are lots of people who not
only don't speak English, but are afraid of some message in a foreign
language coming first. Such people tend to delete those e-mails as
spam without even reading them.

[...]

André,

yes of course. That´s my concern as well. By the way we have lots of blind users in our group, so this is an important information.
The problem is that no matter where I put the German text, the English text will always be read by the screen reader as well.
That´s why I´d prefer to have a blank field where I can put my own text.
Since Mark´s so busy with all these transfers (mine´s in there as well), I have to find a way until this can be altered.

So how do you get along with your Ukranian speaking members? Can they all speak English?
In my group there are quite a few older people and some from Germany´s east who do not understand English well (but maybe
Ukranian)...
Victoria
----
André wrote:
[...]

Well, in my Ukrainian-and Russian speaking groups there are quite a
lot of people who do not understand a word in English and, as I said,
are scared of messages in Latin script.
Then if a person declines the invite, I have to write him/her a
personal letter stating that he/she needs simply to reply to the
message, that it's not spam, and so on, and so forth. But it is far
from being comfortable, I should say.

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
André

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 03:39 pm, Andre Polykanine wrote:

And there are lots of people who not
only don't speak English, but are afraid of some message in a foreign
language coming first. Such people tend to delete those e-mails as
spam without even reading them.
My group is formed by linguists who generally have a fairly good command of English, yet several of them marked as spam the invite from Groups.io, although I had sent several notices about the forthcoming transfer.
People tend to be suspicious and often delete mails without reading them properly.

I am sure that an invite in Italian would have better chances of being read.

Marina

Marina wrote:
My group is formed by linguists who generally have a fairly good command of English, yet several of them marked as spam the invite from Groups.io, although I had sent several notices about the forthcoming transfer.
People tend to be suspicious and often delete mails without reading them properly.

I am sure that an invite in Italian would have better chances of being read.
**********

Marina,

how lucky you are with mostly linguists!:-)

Victoria

Victoria,

I have no idea how big a job it would be to just inactivate this fixed
invite text so each owner can write his own?
I'm sure the programming effort is not the issue.

No doubt Mark is concerned with the potential for abuse, since by design Invitations can be sent to addresses that are not already a part of your group. If the entire message content were written by the group owner/mod then the invitation feature would be a very attractive tool for spammers and scammers of all sorts.

So the boilerplate is there to make the Invitations less attractive to spammers, and to give the recipient a clear understanding of what the message is about.

Obviously, it doesn't serve the latter function for those who don't speak English. But the solution to that I'm sure is more likely to come with some overall effort to provide language-specific site text.

Shal