moderated Can Moderators be given ability to edit members signatures?

LeeAnne

Hi All,
It would save our group and it's horses so much pain and trouble if our moderators could edit the members signatures.
We have been trying to email directions (we don't allow images or attachments in the messages) and that works for most members however there often is formatting issues as well as the challenges of explaining things to members who don't have a basic understanding of computers or how Groups.io works.
Is it possible to be able to give moderators the ability to edit the members signatures?

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Second.

I can think of a couple of work-arounds that you might consider, at least for now.  First, you could require approval on messages to give you a chance to correct things before they get posted.  Maybe only for members that seem to have trouble?  Alternately, you could edit the posts after they show up.

Duane

I reluctantly click "Like" on Duane's workarounds because they are good workarounds. But I would still prefer to have direct editing capability of the signature a priori.

LeeAnne

Howdy Duane
:-)
Thanks for the work around ideas but they just don't work for our particular group. :-(
We have been using wiki  instructions and one-one emails to help members but they fail some of our members.  We can't possibly edit every message a confused member posts. Our group is big (10,000) and can have several daily digest per day with new members constantly coming in needing help to fill out a case history form, join a sub-group, download, fill out a case history form, then make the folder to upload it to.  They also need a signature that includes their name, general location, join date and so the mods can find their information in the sub-groups files and unsearchable photo section, working links to their information.

New members are often justifiably frantic for help and have a big medical learning curve to get through but add to that a limited understanding of how the internet, let alone Groups.io works? It is almost mission impossible at times.  The drive and time it takes to overcome the technical stuff for some is a lot more than some people would invest for anything else. If our mods can reduce some of the stress and quickly and permanently fix members signatures it would save us all so much time and frustration. I've been at signature fix with a member for over a week now and this is not first time it has taken this long.  I'm at my wits end myself, otherwise I would not bother the Beta Group with this.

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Second.

On Feb 21, 2018, at 10:34 AM, LeeAnne Bloye <ecir.archives@...> wrote:

Howdy Duane
:-)
[...]

ro-esp

I'm not sure why and how this would work. Why would a moderator/owner want to edit someones signature/footer?

If they clog up the list, wouldn't a "discard anything after two hyphens and a space" feature be enough?

and what does "second" mean? Didn't we instate the thumbs-up feature to prevent "me too"-messages?

groetjes, , Ronaldo

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 12:47 pm, ro-esp wrote:
Why would a moderator/owner want to edit someones signature/footer?
Many reasons. If it gets implemented and you have no need for it in your group, don't use it.

LeeAnne

Hi Ronaldo,
This isn't about clogging up the list - at least for our group.  It is about getting the required details and information links into our member's signatures.
When a member isn't computer savvy enough to do it themselves, and our work arounds are thwarted by hidden formatting problems or even the member's lack of skill, it creates much confusion and frustration.
If mods had signature editing ability they could set up the member's signature once and for all, eliminating a major hassle that takes up time and energy needed elsewhere.

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

It's not about clogging up the list in our group, either. It's about people (many of them) stating medically incorrect facts in their signatures that could mislead other group members. I could put everyone who does this on moderation and laboriously edit the incorrect statement(s) each time, but that's a PITA. There are also, as LeeAnne says, the people who can't figure out how to create their auto-sig, and the auto-sig is now *required* in my group and must contain certain information in my group. I'm sure there are many more scenarios.

Hi All,

Moderators can now edit member's signatures.

Cheers,
Mark

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 8:00 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
It's not about clogging up the list in our group, either. It's about people (many of them) stating medically incorrect facts in their signatures that could mislead other group members. I could put everyone who does this on moderation and laboriously edit the incorrect statement(s) each time, but that's a PITA. There are also, as LeeAnne says, the people who can't figure out how to create their auto-sig, and the auto-sig is now *required* in my group and must contain certain information in my group. I'm sure there are many more scenarios.

Fantastic, Mark! Thanks!

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

Moderators can now edit member's signatures.

Cheers,
Mark

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 8:00 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
It's not about clogging up the list in our group, either. It's about people (many of them) stating medically incorrect facts in their signatures that could mislead other group members. I could put everyone who does this on moderation and laboriously edit the incorrect statement(s) each time, but that's a PITA. There are also, as LeeAnne says, the people who can't figure out how to create their auto-sig, and the auto-sig is now *required* in my group and must contain certain information in my group. I'm sure there are many more scenarios.

This only works for signatures people have set up within groups.io, correct? There's no way to get rid of the tedious footers in some members' posts with quotes which are meaningful to them but which to me are just more to trim when I respond? (And yes, I used to do this myself, but I saw the light. Signatures in my dream group are one line long, consisting basically of a name).

Thanks.

Helen

Duane

Yes, Helen, this is only for the Groups.io signature.

Duane

Thanks, Duane, makes sense. I can't see many people setting up a groups.io signature on my groups, they'll just use their irritating default ones.

Helen

I wouldn't have believed that we could have accomplished this, and we started it as "optional" in the beginning, but now all our group members have a sig containing their cat's name, gender, age, weight, diagnosis, diagnosis method and date, current meds with dosages, and "other health conditions." It only takes 2-3 lines and is incredibly convenient. We don't have to ask, "Well, how much of x are you giving him, and how much does he weigh?" and wait for the answer, which sometimes is not forthcoming, and we don't have to go searching through past threads. We can just say, "I see you're giving x amount of y and he weighs 10 lbs, you could ask your vet about increasing that to ...."

Also, the mods themselves can now get rid of the irritating default sigs (like mine lol;)

p.s. Also unbelievably, not one person in the group has complained about this. To the contrary, they took to it immediately and they seem to appreciate not having to repeat the basic info about their cats in every message.

LeeAnne

THANK YOU Saint Mark!

--
-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Hello, J.

I wouldn't have believed that we could have accomplished this, and we started it as "optional" in the beginning, but now all our group members have a sig containing their cat's name, gender, age, weight, diagnosis, diagnosis method and date, current meds with dosages, and "other health conditions." It only takes 2-3 lines and is incredibly convenient. We don't have to ask, "Well, how much of x are you giving him, and how much does he weigh?" and wait for the answer, which sometimes is not forthcoming, and we don't have to go searching through past threads. We can just say, "I see you're giving x amount of y and he weighs 10 lbs, you could ask your vet about increasing that to ...."
---

In health groups this is a very important tool. We started this in Yg many years ago and no one ever complained. Some of them just forgot it sometimes.Thats why I liked the recurring mail tool in YG where small instuctions how to handle this or that could regularly be sent, f. e. how to create the signature and which exact information we need to be in it.

Victoria

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 10:07 am, Victoria wrote:
Thats why I liked the recurring mail tool in YG where small instuctions how to handle this or that could regularly be sent,
You can do that in the Group Guidelines.