Topics

moderated On language and date localization

Hi All,

I agree that localizing Groups.io into different languages would be great, and it's on the TODO list. Unfortunately I can't dedicate the time to make it happen right now. One of the reasons is that once a site is localized, it's more difficult to add/change features. It slows development down a bit, for the rest of time. Also, no paid groups have asked for it (but have asked for other features not yet supported). Again, I think it's absolutely worthwhile. But I can't do it right now.

Date localization is a little easier, as it's a lot more limited in scope. The outstanding problem with getting that done right now (besides time) is that it's unclear if the library I use for the date picker on the add event page supports different date formats. That's on me to spend the time to figure out; I just haven't been able to yet.

Tony Moody

Hallo Mark,

Two ideas on date localisation
either
1. Use 'my' system date settings to set how Groups.io serves mail to my account. My pc OS is set to yyyy-mm-dd. I prefer this and find it most useful and least brain taxing.

or
2. Use the date form which shows month as mmm : Feb or mmmm ; February . That will remove some of the confusion. But will not help the sorting.

Thank you so very much for what you do.

OK,
Tony

On 12 Feb 2018 at 18:10, Mark Fletcher wrote about
 Subject : [beta] On language and date localiz

Hi All,

<snip>

Date localization is a little easier, as it's a lot more limited in
scope. The outstanding problem with getting that done right now
(besides time) is that it's unclear if the library I use for the date
picker on the add event page supports different date formats. That's
on me to spend the time to figure out; I just haven't been able to
yet.

Thanks, Mark,

I was very happy to read your reply to the language issue.

As I wrote before I gladly offer my services translating functional terms and other texts into German.

Regards

Victoria

Marina

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 06:10 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I agree that localizing Groups.io into different languages would be great,
and it's on the TODO list. Unfortunately I can't dedicate the time to make
it happen right now. One of the reasons is that once a site is localized,
it's more difficult to add/change features. It slows development down a
bit, for the rest of time. Also, no paid groups have asked for it (but have
asked for other features not yet supported). Again, I think it's absolutely
worthwhile. But I can't do it right now.
Thank you for considering our request. I do appreciate it.
I'll be glad to help with the Italian translation, whenever you decide to go ahead with the project.
As for date localization, I am not sure what we're talking about, but the date format we're familiar with over here is definitively day-month-year.

All the best,
Marina

Andre Polykanine <andre@...>

Hi Mark,
Unfortunately, I don't know your stack, but basically if you use GNU
GetText for localization, the curve won't be too large: you just wrap
every text string in _() call, then you give the localizers a POT
file, and you receive from them PO/MO files. Then, if something is
changed on your side, it just is displayed in English, no errors, no
"unknown variable" or some stuff like that.
Again, I would be glad to help if needed. I've been working in
localization for six years now, so I believe I could be of some help.

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre

I agree that localizing Groups.io into different languages would be great, and it's on the TODO list. Unfortunately I can't dedicate the time to make it happen right now. One of the reasons is that once a site is localized, it's more difficult to add/change features. It slows development down a bit, for the rest of time. Also, no paid groups have asked for it (but have asked for other features not yet supported). Again, I think it's absolutely worthwhile. But I can't do it right now.

Date localization is a little easier, as it's a lot more limited in scope. The outstanding problem with getting that done right now (besides time) is that it's unclear if the library I use for the date picker on the add event page supports different date formats. That's on me to spend the time to figure out; I just haven't been able to yet.