Topics

moderated #transfer

Southenders Admin

Having played around with Groups.io, I am prepared to move my group. While I have group members who are fighting the inevitable, I think it is something that must be done.

I've copied my groups photos, files, and messages via PG Offline to my hard drive, and I'm wondering if I really need to take up Mark's time to transfer the group from Yahoo, or if that is everything i need to get from them. Is there a way to complete the transfer from the files I downloaded?

I've set up a trial site, and a site with a similar name that I have been saving for the transfer from Yahoo. While I'd like to keep the hashtags I've already created, if I have to use the unused 'similar name' empty site I will invest the time. I've already invested quite a bit.

There are features that are missing that I would love to have, and have posted some of them in the beta group.
I would love a calendar that had an "add Tags" dropdown. It would probably also allow for the color coding to match those of the hashtags.
I would like to have the calendar event entry come with the ability to standardize a few notification dates.

Sometimes messages with attachments take hours or do not show up at all on the receiving end. Is that my site, or something that happens to others? I have gotten around that by just adding the separate file, but I would love to have a message go out with those files. Perhaps it is because my site is 'new'?

Comments and help are much appreciated.
I hate to say that I would feel better if there was a fee for this, and that staff could be hired to assist Mark, because long term stability means I don't have to worry about doing this again. There are pay sites that could do what we have here. My personal reason for choosing this is that it is as close as possible to what my group has used for the last 7 years, and we're old guys. Literally.

Frances

Welcome! You could get a paid subscription!
https://groups.io/static/pricing

Frances

I would take advantage of the transfer process, unless you have only a handful of members. I don't think it would be easy to replicate all the features of the transfer by hand.

As for delays in messages, that was happening yesterday afternoon due only to a freak occurrence. Someone sent a couple of GINORMOUS messages through the system - I know because I noticed the delay and messaged Mark, and he immediately messaged me back - on a Saturday! - and told me what was up. These kinds of issues are so rare in groups.io that I would say that they just don't happen. It is the polar opposite of yahoo here. OTOH I don't know how large your attachments are. Perhaps if they're really huge, it's causing a problem. Mark will let you know what kinds of sizes might cause an issue, if any.

If you want to pay, you can upgrade your group to "premium" for $10/month (or, I think, $100/year). I highly recommend this because it gives you a couple of additional capabilities in addition to just increasing your allowable storage.

Congrats on the decision. Y

...oops, that cut off - should read: You won't regret it. :)

Walter Underwood

I signed up for a one month premium subscription while transferring. It was handy in case I wanted to direct add any members, plus I felt like I was supporting the transfer work.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@...
http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)

On Feb 11, 2018, at 8:39 PM, Southenders Admin <nnnlriep6@...> wrote:

[...]

Southenders Admin,

... I'm wondering if I really need to take up Mark's time to
transfer the group from Yahoo, or if that is everything i need to get
from them. Is there a way to complete the transfer from the files I
downloaded?
He hasn't mentioned automating any file-based import from PG Offline archives. So that would probably involve at least as much of Mark's time as using the transfer agent. He has mentioned importing messages (only) from Mailman and other lists, but I think he has done those essentially as one-offs.

I've set up a trial site, and a site with a similar name that I have
been saving for the transfer from Yahoo. While I'd like to keep the
hashtags I've already created, if I have to use the unused 'similar
name' empty site I will invest the time.
I'm not quite sure what the question is here, You can transfer into either Groups.io group.

If you're going to switch the names around remember that deleting a group leaves its name reserved indefinitely. To avoid that rename the group first (the old name does not become reserved).

I hate to say that I would feel better if there was a fee for this,
and that staff could be hired to assist Mark, because long term
stability means I don't have to worry about doing this again.
Others have mentioned upgrading your group to Premium. In addition to the Pricing page, have a look at the Upgrade page in your group (bottom most of the Admin buttons). Click the View/Change Plan button. There you'll see that one of the choices is "Group Transfer (Premium For One Month). If you're up for a voluntary payment that's a no-fuss way to do it.

Shal

Southenders Admin

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

My message with the attachment was just 987kb. For my that's large. It still hasn't shown up.

I used a name close enough to the original for my test site that it doesn't matter to me which site I use.
As for the payment, I am a former business owner. I know the value of being a business plan that not just takes care of a need, but shows the foresight of the business to grow and succeed. It would be less worrisome if the future looked more stable here. When Pandora went public, the CEO said, in an interview, he didn't know how they would ever make money. Blue Aprons CEO took a similar track. It's more professional to show that not only are you capable of creating a good/great product, but that you are building towards a future.
Do any of you want to do this again?

My group wants me to look at wildapricot and a few other pay groups, but I know the Groups has the capability to be all that we need.

A stable system should also show its ability to be around a long time, and not appear to be the hobby of the well intentioned. While these premium sites may not live up to their hype, they don't give off the concept of being a one man show. And there seems to be a lot of users on this site who could be or are helpful to Mark.

So I'm nervous. Perhaps I've missed something in the presentation that will allow me to worry less.

Southenders Admin,

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 4:58 AM, Southenders Admin <nnnlriep6@...> wrote:
Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

My message with the attachment was just 987kb. For my that's large. It still hasn't shown up.

Not sure what the issue could be. We haven't had any other reports of missing emails.

I used a name close enough to the original for my test site that it doesn't matter to me which site I use.
As for the payment, I am a former business owner. I know the value of being a business plan that not just takes care of a need, but shows the foresight of the business to grow and succeed. It would be less worrisome if the future looked more stable here. When Pandora went public, the CEO said, in an interview, he didn't know how they would ever make money. Blue Aprons CEO took a similar track. It's more professional to show that not only are you capable of creating a good/great product, but that you are building towards a future.
Do any of you want to do this again?

The best thing you (or anyone else) can do who wants to make sure Groups.io is around for the long term is to sign up for a premium group.

My group wants me to look at wildapricot and a few other pay groups, but I know the Groups has the capability to be all that we need.

I hadn't heard of wild apricot, thanks for the pointer. Looks like Groups.io is underpriced.

Cheers,
Mark

Walter Underwood

On Feb 12, 2018, at 10:46 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

My group wants me to look at wildapricot and a few other pay groups, but I know the Groups has the capability to be all that we need.

I hadn't heard of wild apricot, thanks for the pointer. Looks like Groups.io is underpriced.

Wild Apricot provides payments, so that is a different level of features. I looked at it a few years ago for our Boy Scout troop, to handle dues, paying for outings, etc.

On the other hand, groups.io provides more features than FastMail and WordPress, the other services I pay for.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@...
http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)

Scott Myers

I've implemented Wild Apricot with a large club I belong to.  It is really a point of sale system meant for managing memberships, trainings, etc.  It is a much more complex beast and of course, at a much higher cost.  When it was implemented, we were comparing it to several other similar systems that compete with Wild Apricot.  It really is an apples and oranges when comparing to groups.io.

On 12 Feb 2018 at 14:50, Scott Myers wrote:

It is a much more complex beast and of course, at a much higher
cost.  When it was implemented, we were comparing it to several other
similar systems that compete with Wild Apricot.  It really is an apples
and oranges when comparing to groups.io.
I agree completely. And Wild Apricot is not designed for interactive
discussion groups. It's much more suited for one-way communications,
i.e. broadcast.

--
Jim
Poston@...

<< Mars ain't the kind of place to raise the kids >>

Sharon Villines

On Feb 12, 2018, at 7:58 AM, Southenders Admin <nnnlriep6@...> wrote:

So I'm nervous. Perhaps I've missed something in the presentation that will allow me to worry less.
This is my response to this problem—I posted it a week or so ago on the GroupManagersForum:

I also went through this when I transferred several groups and am confronting it again as I’m proposing moving a main group and about 10 subgroups. Is this trustworthy?

It’s more than a wing and prayer. Mark Fletcher has a long professional career both in running groups and in other software companies. He has a lifetime of contacts as well was experience in the industry. He has made the judgement that he can and wants to do this. If he finds that he can’t or doesn’t want to, there must be some people who would love to take over, and/or someone else, like GoogleGroups will take over the groups on Groups.io.

The business model is excellent and is in use by many businesses based on open source software. The features that Mark has designed are far superior to any of the other free email services and I have to believe even superior to anything that companies have created for themselves. Big companies are only interested in the basic level of service and features that bring in the most revenue. And the revenue is totally independent of the core of the service — email discussion groups. The company could care less as long as the groups are large enough to produce data they can sell or the number of ads they can attach.

The scaled model of services allows people to try the service and develop their group, then upgrade when they need more. It would be very hard if not impossible to find another service with so many possibilities. When I can, I use services, plugins, etc, that have both free and paid levels. The paid levels not only support the free services but they guarantee that the base is well designed and will be updated regularly. The paid services are added onto the free service so it isn’t a different inferior and neglected service.

Email lists provide many more options that forums, message boards, etc. They are more adaptable to individual needs. Some people have a problem understanding asynchronous communications, but with threaded messages and hashtags, all the messages on one topic are easy to read in chronological order. And as long as the speed is fast, searching in one place for a topic is much easier than searching several forums to find responses to questions that might be posted under one or more subjects. Searching “Lemons” will bring up all the mentions of lemons and the messages excerpts can be easily scanned in order for relevance.

A major plus is the open development model. This is incredibly smart and forward looking. It’s the way software development is moving. Think about big company services. They are closed and unresponsive. It is hard to get any information about how they function that isn’t in the help files — and if you can find where it is located in the help files. The chances of any suggestion being implemented are nil. Open development taps into the best programmers and user interface people out there.

AND, perhaps best of all, Groups.io is about discussion groups exclusively. Groups are not in the position of fighting for time and money with other services. Groups are the focus.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
TakomaDC@Groups.io

Southenders Admin

Thanks all, for the helpful advice.

i have invested many hours to create my test site. I really want this to wok, and I think it will.

and yes, Mark, you have underpriced your service.  And I’m going to take a paid subscription. But I’m going to have to tell my membership that they need the RSVP ‘module’ to explain the cost. (Please put a ‘Add Hashtag’ drop down in the calendar. And add default notification times.)

(Please, the rest of you, don’t shoot me!)

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:30 pm, Southenders Admin wrote:
I really want this to wok, and I think it will.
It's not only going to wok. It's going to wok and roll!

Southenders Admin

(Please put a ‘Add Hashtag’ drop down in the calendar.  ...)

In the mean time I think you can just add the hashtag(s) you want to the event name.

(Please, the rest of you, don’t shoot me!)

Bang!
Wait, why would I do that?

Shal

Southenders Admin

Thanks for shooting me, Shal, I needed that. I can put the hashtag in the event name, but my 30 Group Directors, aged 65+, probably will forget to do this. I set message to only allow New Messages with a hashtag, so the drop down list comes down.

But unfortunately, larger issue is that even on a message I created with only a 77KB attachment half an hour ago has not been received.Messages with attachments don't seem to go out, or at least I am not getting a copy of them.

Since the attachment is a description of my hashtag color coding, I'd be happy to post it here to see if anyone gets it in this group, as opposed to what is happening on my created site.

Southenders Admin,

Since the attachment is a description of my hashtag color coding, I'd be happy to post it here to see if anyone gets it in this group, as opposed to what is happening on my created site.

I don't think we should use beta for tests. But you're welcome to join shalstest, or in this case since the content might be useful to other moderators, post it in GMF.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

In GMF the Attachments option is set to "Allow", so it should go through. I'm not certain of beta's setting, so it may not be a valid test.

Shal
 _.

Bob Bellizzi

Wow Sharon!  I love it!
It's everything I've thought also.
Rah, Rah, Mark!  And I really mean that.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Southenders Admin

Thanks, Shal

Message problem solved, in a way.

I changed all my members to default Message Policy, and my message with attachment went through. I guess I must have misunderstood the Overides.

But even so, after I approved the earlier  messages, they did not go through after moderation.

I have created a PDF for event creation, but it's pretty rudimentary. I also have one explaining hashtags to new members.

The message to my members about hashtag was regarding color coding.  Here's the wording:
***************************************************************************************************************************

The new website has a very important feature. These are Hashtags that allow you to focus in on a particular Interest Group, and its activities.

Hashtags are color coded:

Red are for general membership and board business
Blue represents Outdoor activities
Gold represents Indoor activities
Green represents...eating activities
Attached is a copy of part of the web page showing how these look.

When you're old and retired like my group, you can move down to Lake Norman NC, and join!

Southenders Admin

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:37 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:30 pm, Southenders Admin wrote:
I really want this to wok, and I think it will.
It's not only going to wok. It's going to wok and roll!

Oh, the humanity!
(where's my spell checker?)