Topics

moderated Facebook Groups Integration - Possible Workaround?

Scott Myers

I know this has been discussed before in several threads, but I'd love to see the powers that be make this more of a priority.  Why?  Since groups.io is for groups obviously, the primary need would be to integrate with a Facebook group as an extension of communicating with that group.  Being able to integrate with a facebook page is of little value, since a page is for an individual and has next to nothing to do with group communication.

So that said, let me ask about a possible workaround.  If I share something from a facebook group into a facebook page, will it then allow it to be reflected onto a group here, or is it limited by the original facebook group page?  So the group I need to reflecting into groups.io I could potentially share into my own personal facebook page.  It's a messy workaround requiring an extra step, but it may be something we can do in the interim... assuming it works.

So groups.io administrators, what do you say?  Have you tried this?

Toby Kraft

I agree.  My group is related to (not a subset) a larger group on FB - so it would be nice to share the FB group activity with my groups.io group.  But haven't figured out a way to do that with a FB "Page".
Toby

Slight sidetrack: My FB is a ‘feeder’ group for this one. What I’d like is an easy way to ‘promote’ our group there. There’s HTML code that Mark has provided in the ‘promote’ section which will cause a ‘join’ button to appear in a blog or website. But the steps to include HTML on a FB page seem complicated.

On Feb 8, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Toby Kraft <toby@...> wrote:

I agree.  My group is related to (not a subset) a larger group on FB - so it would be nice to share the FB group activity with my groups.io group.  But haven't figured out a way to do that with a FB "Page".
Toby

Benoît Dumeaux

Currently the FB messages arrive at the drop-account on G.io. Receiving a message summarizing the titles and links of the most recent FB messages would be better.

Scott Myers

So, I did figure out a workaround and checked it for functionality, but it makes for an extra step... but it works.  The group on facebook must be a public group in order for this to work.

First, you create a "page" within your own personal facebook page.  You'll see "pages" under explore.  Click on that and then you can create a page.  So let's say the group you want to get info from is called "widgets", then maybe you make the name of your personal page "Bob's widget reflector".  (The actual name is unimportant, but perhaps something that makes it logical for you.)   Then you go to your newly set-up page and get it's URL and then put that in the integration on your Group here.  Then when something comes up in the group on facebook that you want to make sure hits the group here, you "share" the group post into your personal separate page and viola!, it posts in to the group here.  It's the extra "share" that must be done to make it work.

I know, it's convoluted.  And if the group on facebook was super busy with posts, it would be a real annoyance.  But this does work.

Not ideal and being able to integrate a group would be the ideal, but for now, this may help others.