Topics

moderated login suggestion for new refugees from YahooGroups

Ruthie Levi

i am spending a lot of time explaining to the older folks in my group about how to log into Groups.IO. a suggestion, perhaps add a line of code, right near the login suggestion(not far below where it is now), saying specifically if this is ur first time here, just arrived from another platform, like yahoogroups, this is what u need to do…it needs to b a bit more simplistic for my masses…thanks for listening.

ruthie levi

Toby Kraft

Ruthie,
I would agree that it would be nice to have a single page where new subscribers can join the group and set their password for web access.  Right now, it's two separate actions and a stumbling block for many of my subscribers also.  The invite email could have 2 options:  1) Reply to subscribe with email access only -and- 2) Click link to subscribe on the web and setup web access to the group (which goes to new page where subscriber joins and sets password).
I really like that it has FB/Google integration but that needs more advanced web skills and presumes some prior knowledge before subscribing (using the gmail address instead of an ISP address for your subscription which you don't know you can do until after you subscribe.  Yes, you can change it but that's even more involved.)

Thanks
Toby

Sharon Villines

On Feb 8, 2018, at 12:32 PM, Toby Kraft <@tobykraft> wrote:

I would agree that it would be nice to have a single page where new subscribers can join the group and set their password for web access. Right now, it's two separate actions and a stumbling block for many of my subscribers also. The invite email could have 2 options: 1) Reply to subscribe with email access only -and- 2) Click link to subscribe on the web and setup web access to the group (which goes to new page where subscriber joins and sets password).
I agree. I set up a new group this morning and the password thing was the first oh-no. Explaining it is confusing. This is a list that uses their files so people will be trying to visit the website. They will see a message that says enter your password. Since they don’t have one, they will be frustrated.

The log-in needs one line to say if you haven’t set up a password, click here to set one up.

I won’t even attempt to explain the 30-day option if you don’t want to set up a password. On a large list, I would have repeated messages saying I set up my password and it disappears.

Sharon.

Bob Bellizzi

Have any of you  looked at this link to a specific Help that Mark set up  in his Help page?
https://groups.io/static/help#password
Many groups build WIKI information to do what you keep describing and made our wikis pubic.  Then we simply gave the appropriate WiKI link to the person and they could follow simple directions.
Recently, Mark added a process description to his Help (above url) which is in public view.
Why don't you review it before asking for another method?
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Toby Kraft

Thanks for that help topic.  Helpful, but it only says "You can then set a password if you wish, " - but does not explain how one does that.

Yes, a group owner/mod can spend all kinds of time setting up welcome letters, notices, etc but much of that could be avoided if the initial invite email had a bit more explanation in it.

This is the beta forum for suggestions so we are suggesting...
Thanks!
Toby

Duane

You can add pretty much anything you want to the Invite message for your group.  If you don't want to add a bunch of text, you could just include a link to https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/How-to-Set-a-Personal-Password-and-Profile%3B-Changing-Email-Address if that does what you want.

Duane

Toby Kraft

Duane, that looks pretty good.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm going to add it to my invite message.
Toby

Ruthie Levi

tone is everything in email, don’t u agree, bob? 😊

yes, i have previously read the entire wiki, but none of your comments addresses my issue…i have moved 14k members in my group, many, many not so computer literate. we plopped them into this new format of groups.IO, the login pg is confusing to a newbie & no, they r not going to read the wiki, nor is it that easy for many to do that multi step machination outlined therein.

ruthie levi

Hi Ruthie,

For the login page, right now it has the following text:

Are you receiving emails from a Groups.io group but have never visited the Groups.io website? Use the Email me a link to log in button above to log into the website.
Don't have a Groups.io account? Registration is free and easy.

Are you talking about changing/augmenting that? Or something else? What additional information should it include?

On Feb 8, 2018, at 6:13 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

For the login page, right now it has the following text:

Are you receiving emails from a Groups.io group but have never visited the Groups.io website? Use the Email me a link to log in button above to log into the website.
Don't have a Groups.io account? Registration is free and easy.
The message should be at the point when they try to sign in. Sending emails and clicking on links just delays the process and the email goes to spam anyway. then the owner gets contacted and Twitter gets notified and then it's a whole big thing.

The problem is that they are asked to enter a password when they don’t have one. There isn’t a distinction on the page between those who have set one up and those who haven’t. Simplest solution:

Below the enter-your-password box insert: “If you haven’t set up a password yet” do this.

Ideally there would be two sign-in pages—one that people are sent to if they have set up a password and another one for those who haven’t set one up yet.

I would not call it an account unless you have to. “Account” has connotations of Yahoo where you have to give your phone number and ll your marketing preferences, sex, age, etc. The wonderful thing about Groups.io is that it is simple. You have a username, password, and list of groups.

Sharon
Who had to sit through a 20 minute discourse from a member who tried to sign in and couldn’t figure out what to do since she didn’t have a password. And how many paragraphs she was going to write for instructions telling other people what to do.

Mark,

Are you talking about changing/augmenting that? Or something else?

I'm with Sharon, I recommend changing "Forget your password?" to "Forgot your password, or don't have one yet?"

I prefer "forgot" to "forget" because  the latter could be read as an imperative. (Goodness no, I don't want to click there and have the system forget my password).

I might make the "Or You Can" a header left justified and equal in weight to the "Please Log In". That might make it clearer that those buttons are an alternative to using the Log In boxes above that line. As it stands they seem almost like an alternative to the green Log In button alone, and one might need to fill in the boxes before clicking them.

Shal

I wrote:

I'm with Sharon, I recommend changing "Forget your password?" to "Forgot your password, or don't have one yet?"

I forgot to say, and make the phrase "don't have one yet" be a link to /register, not /sendloginlink.Because these people are still expecting to create a password.

Shal

Mark,

Are you receiving emails from a Groups.io group but have never visited the Groups.io website? Use the Email me a link to log in button above to log into the website.
Don't have a Groups.io account? Registration is free and easy.

Maybe make that a third section, with its own header

Please Log In
[boxes, links and green button]

Or You Can
[three buttons]

Not Sure?

Are you receiving emails from a Groups.io group but have never visited the Groups.io website? Or do you just want to get started using Groups.io?

If you use the Email me a link to log in button above you don't even need a password. We'll send you an email; you go to your Inbox, open that message, and click the link inside to log into the website.

If you'd rather have a password, and you don't have one yet, Registration is free and easy.

Shal

Ruthie Levi

i think you are on the right track here, Shal. but let’s not over complicate the instructions. People just need a bit of guidance, because to them, they are landing on Mars(minus the Tesla!), when they come to the Groups.IO home page. Just a bit of language indicating that they are already members, just need to set up their password. Many of my members think the transition was so seamless that their old Yahoo password should work!

Yes, Mark, your language at the bottom of the page is almost good enuf, but needs a bit of tweaking & moving it higher up on the page, perhaps, so it is far more noticeable.

To those who replied, indicating to change our invite/subscription language, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about an entire group transfer of 15K people who are members already & just need to know how to navigate the new platform.

thanks, all!

ruthie levi

Hi All,

I've reformatted and changed some of the wording of the login page. Please let me know your thoughts.

Shal, I liked your suggestions, but I didn't want to point them to the register page just because they don't have a password. They would still already have an account and so don't need to register.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 3:48 AM, Ruth Levi <ruthlevi@...> wrote:

[...]

I set up a new account in order to test this process. Now I’m even more confused. Nowhere does it mention setting up a password.

This was so much easier 2 years ago.

After I signed up with a new email address I saw this:

An email has been sent to you with a link to log into your account and confirm your email address. Look for a message from Groups.io with the Subject: "Confirm Your Groups.io Account".

If you don't want to log in to Groups.io, you may reply to that email instead and that will confirm your email address without logging you on.

When you confirm your email address your membership will be completed. The group may send you further information about the group.

Here is some information that may be helpful when you have confirmed your email address:

• All messages posted in this group will be sent to you at yahoo@....
• To post to the group, send an email to TakomaDC@TakomaDC.groups.io or visit the Post page.

To change your delivery and subscription options, or to unsubscribe, click the Subscription Options bar below.
50% too many words. I suggest:

An email has been sent from Groups.io to confirm your email address and activate your membership.
To say where messages will be received and sent, and to set delivery options before confirming email address and activating the membership seems out of order. I would put this somewhere else

To change your delivery and subscription options, or to unsubscribe, click the Subscription Options bar below.

The email to confirm my subscription seems too long. When readers see lots of words, they expect lots of information. Anyone who has signed up for any email group or website has done this confirmation process so they know the routine. And everyone over 5 or at least 10 our under 80 has done this.

I think this is all you need:

Thank you for your interest in joining the TakomaDC group at Groups.io. If you did not request or do not want to join TakomaDC@groups.io, please ignore this message.

If you only want to send and receive messages from TakomaDC@groups.io, reply to this email to confirm your email address and activate your membership.
• Messages will be sent to you at yahoo@....
• Send messages to TakomaDC@TakomaDC.groups.io
If you want to use the resources and read messages on the TakomaDC Groups.io website, please click on the link below to confirm your email address, set up a password, and choose other subscription settings:
Confirm Membership

So I click on the "confirm membership” then I see a page that says:

Your Account Has Been Confirmed! Here are your next steps.

Visit Your Groups!
Here are the groups you are subscribed to. Check them out:
• TakomaDC
• updates
Set Up Your Profile
Edit your identity information to add your full name, user name, and a profile photo.
Find Groups
Find groups to join. Joining and participating in groups is completely free.
Create Your Own Groups
Create a public group. Public groups are completely free. Interested in private groups? See which plan is best for you.
Even if I had seen “password" on the confirmation email message, I would still be trying to find where to set up a password. Finally I explore "Set Up Your Profile”, (a page I would never visit) and find “Edit your identity information to add your full name, user name, and profile photo.”

Still no mention of passwords.

“Identity information” is an uncommon use of words. Usually don’t sites say Membership Information unless it is a commercial site? Identity as in war games?

Is a “profile" different than an “identity”? The instructions use both words. Why?

Then when I go to “Set up your Profile,” it doesn’t ask for "full name, user name, and a profile photo" — it asks for password and sign-in information, which is what I was looking for in the first place. No mention of it anywhere else.

In the left hand menu, under "Other Services" I see "Oauth Logins” ? Are "other services" the same as “integrations”?

Under “preferences" people are able to make different choices than the list is set up for. Will members think they can post in HTML if they want to when the list is set to plain text? If the list was set to HTML and they choose to receive plain text, they would see gibberish, right?

I’ve noticed Billing and Payments appearing frequently. What would an individual account holder be paying for? Why ask for a credit card number? My people are going to freak. Many have already refused to subscribe to Yahoo by going to the website because Yahoo wants their phone number — I have to enroll them directly so no other information is recorded. I’m promising them no marketing on Groups.io and they see billing.

Detail people are weird and I don’t want to give them anything to be weirder about. Two words that mean the same thing is a lot of emails to explain.

I’m a writer and a former academic, so don’t take offense. I do this in my sleep.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines, Washington, DC
"Focus means saying no to the 100 good ideas out there. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things." Steve Jobs

Marina

Mark,
please consider that soon you'll have a lot of foreign members who are not native speakers of English.
I know that anyone using Internet is supposed to have English at their fingertips, but making things a little bit easier and clearer, as Sharon suggested, would be of great help also for us from the other side of the pond :-)

Marina

Andre Polykanine <andre@...>

Mark and everyone,
Marina is definitely right.
And that reminds me one more question I had asked before: would it be
possible to make Groups.io localizable, at least all the public stuff
that goes to (non-moderator) users?
Thanks!

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 11:18 am, Andre Polykanine wrote:

Mark and everyone,
Marina is definitely right.
And that reminds me one more question I had asked before: would it be
possible to make Groups.io localizable, at least all the public stuff
that goes to (non-moderator) users?
In Beta I've just posted a reply to a separate request for a German version.
I think all these posts about localization should be merged into one specific thread.

I know that translation has a cost and that it would be impossible to have Groups.io translated in all languages. Even if Mark would choose to have Groups.io translated only in one or two of the most spoken foreign languages, I suppose that mine would fall into the minority field and be overlooked.

I wonder if it would be possible to set up an open localization project to which volunteers could contribute at least for the parts intended for simple users (non moderators): group interface, commands, etc.

Marina

Andre Polykanine <andre@...>

Hi Marina,

> I know that translation has a cost and that it would be impossible
to have Groups.io translated in all languages. Even if Mark would
choose to have Groups.io translated only in one or two of the most
spoken foreign languages, I suppose that mine would fall into the minority field and be overlooked.
Italiano? A minority language? No way :).
Anyway, I believe translations could be open-sourced as a Github
repository for everyone to contribute. I have been taking part in such
projects and, as a software translation expert, I can say that it does
work. As always, I'll be glad to help.