Topics

locked Edits that change only formatting don't save #bug

If you edit a message, but changes only formatting (bold, italic, even changing text to links) the Save won't "take" and the changes you made are discarded. This has taken me by surprise a couple of times now.

The work-around is to make an unimportant change to the text, such as adding or removing a space at the end of a paragraph, when otherwise changing only formatting.

-- Shal

Hi Shal,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

If you edit a message, but changes only formatting (bold, italic, even changing text to links) the Save won't "take" and the changes you made are discarded. This has taken me by surprise a couple of times now.

This was actually by design. The reasoning: browsers will re-write the HTML in a message, even if there are no changes to the message (or formatting). So we cannot tell if the message has been changed unless we strip away the HTML and just look at the text. I was doing that because I didn't want to generate a message edit if no changes happened to the message.

I've changed it so that we don't do that anymore. A submission on that page will always generate a message edit.