Topics

moderated Yahoo Group transfers

Hi All,

I know this isn't really a topic for beta@, but I need to get the word out. 

There's a large backlog of group transfer requests, and I'm trying to work through them. But what's difficult at the moment is that I'm getting a ton of duplicated invites to Yahoo Groups (I have 442 sitting in my mail queue at the moment). Apparently people are getting errors from Yahoo when submitting invite requests, and then submitting invites again, over and over. If you get an error, most likely the invite still went through and you do not need to submit an invite again.

I've added a note to the instructions page on the site, but if you are involved with any Yahoo Groups who are thinking about moving, I'd appreciate it if you could pass this along.

Thanks,
Mark

Ginny T.

Oh good grief, Mark. How many more things can Yahoo come up with?
Hang in there - and take care of you.
Ginny
--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========
TemariKai.com

well when you build the better mousetrap, these things happen.   Here is the place to be.

Steve L at -28c

Yes, this is the place. Unfortunately we can get shot down for sounding like groups.io evangelists in some of the die-hard yahoo groups we try to help (it happened to me - "do you work for them?" etc.). It's impossible to "get it" until after you move.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu

Douglas Swearingen <dougiebehr@...>

Thank You Mark for making Groups.io the best it can be.

Doug

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:53 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: [beta] Yahoo Group transfers

Hi All,

There's a large backlog of group transfer requests, and I'm trying to work through them. But what's difficult at the moment is that I'm getting a ton of duplicated invites to Yahoo Groups (I have 442 sitting in my mail queue at the moment). Apparently people are getting errors from Yahoo when submitting invite requests, and then submitting invites again, over and over. If you get an error, most likely the invite still went through and you do not need to submit an invite again.

I've added a note to the instructions page on the site, but if you are involved with any Yahoo Groups who are thinking about moving, I'd appreciate it if you could pass this along.

Thanks,
Mark

Barbara Byers

I know that I did this for my 4 groups, because it was exactly as described, I tried to add the transfer email and would get an error message that it couldn't send the invite.  I only tried it twice for each group though, then decided to wait, and by the next day it was a member of all my groups. Sorry for the dupes!

I want to add a major THANK YOU for making this possible.

Barb B

On 2018-02-07 11:35 AM, Douglas Swearingen wrote:

Thank You Mark for making Groups.io the best it can be.

Doug

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:53 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: [beta] Yahoo Group transfers

Hi All,

Thanks,
Mark

Ginny T.

And here's your chuckle for the day: I recently moved a group that's an online chapter of a national organization. They'd decided late last fall after the Yahoo fit in October. We were well into it (thank goodness) when the death-spiral began. Managed to get out of Yahoo intact. Right before we moved, one person posted that she didn't want her info "taken" into Groups because "there is absolutely no information available about Groups.io "security"; remove her from the group. Nothing would make a dent with her. She was told if she wanted out, she needed to cancel her YG membership. That didn't happen.

We move, go live, everyone are happy campers, she posts about she would have preferred a Facebook Group "like everyone else". REALLY? You're pitching fits about  "security" and you're hollering it should have been Facebook? She  was told again why Groupsand the reply was to unsub. Hokay!

I know - don't say it - like I said, chuckle for the day.

Ginny
--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========
TemariKai.com