Date   

moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

... and who are akso set toFirst Messages Also.

Besides that, the R setting should go away snd the system shoujd simply implement it for anyone set to F. But that’s minor compared to the real bug, or bugs.


On Mar 3, 2021, at 4:27 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 04:50 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
So maybe this needs a second look?
Mark said that preexisting settings haven't been checked yet, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28503  If it doesn't work after you update/change, then there's a problem.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

I think it’s a problem right now. There are people set to Individual Messsges, Followimg Onlly, Autofollow Replies who are getting no messages, and who are shown in the Members List as No Email. 


On Mar 3, 2021, at 4:27 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 04:50 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
So maybe this needs a second look?
Mark said that preexisting settings haven't been checked yet, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28503  If it doesn't work after you update/change, then there's a problem.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

Duane
 

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 04:50 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
So maybe this needs a second look?
Mark said that preexisting settings haven't been checked yet, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28503  If it doesn't work after you update/change, then there's a problem.

Duane


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

... and that’s even if they *could* fix it, because it’s not possible. You’ve got a disconnect between the members list display abd members’ individual subscription pages, and worse.


On Mar 3, 2021, at 3:14 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Again with the “not so dramatic”? 😊

I don’t think this suggestion that moderators of all existing groups before the change understand and fix this complex non-retroactivity is even acceptable, let alone ideal.


On Mar 3, 2021, at 2:29 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 09:19 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
When I said “is not working,” I meant “is not working properly” because it is not working for me, in that particular group
So, not quite the dramatic situation the topic subject suggests then.   If there are some anomalies for some members in one group you are in, and, as suggested, this may be because certain settings were in place before the recent changes in this area (which seems to preclude members from having the same issue in future), would it be simpler to deal with these on an individual basis?  Perhaps sorting the membership list by delivery type and looking at the badges would help and you could even send them a message directly with details on what they need to do to update their settings?

Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

Again with the “not so dramatic”? 😊

I don’t think this suggestion that moderators of all existing groups before the change understand and fix this complex non-retroactivity is even acceptable, let alone ideal.


On Mar 3, 2021, at 2:29 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 09:19 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
When I said “is not working,” I meant “is not working properly” because it is not working for me, in that particular group
So, not quite the dramatic situation the topic subject suggests then.   If there are some anomalies for some members in one group you are in, and, as suggested, this may be because certain settings were in place before the recent changes in this area (which seems to preclude members from having the same issue in future), would it be simpler to deal with these on an individual basis?  Perhaps sorting the membership list by delivery type and looking at the badges would help and you could even send them a message directly with details on what they need to do to update their settings?

Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

Andy Wedge
 

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 09:19 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
When I said “is not working,” I meant “is not working properly” because it is not working for me, in that particular group
So, not quite the dramatic situation the topic subject suggests then.   If there are some anomalies for some members in one group you are in, and, as suggested, this may be because certain settings were in place before the recent changes in this area (which seems to preclude members from having the same issue in future), would it be simpler to deal with these on an individual basis?  Perhaps sorting the membership list by delivery type and looking at the badges would help and you could even send them a message directly with details on what they need to do to update their settings?

Andy


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 01:38 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
there are now members marked F (with no R) and some marked F R. Post-change, everyone who is F should also automatically be R.
A side issue is that there should be no more "R" setting at all if it's automatically included in F. I wondered about this originally, when in checking out the change I noticed that the auto follow replies button was still there and is juat automatically checked when someone checks F. Why have it at all? It only creates confusion. But beyond the confusion are the actual two (at least) bugs where (1) people marked F before the change don't now have an A added, and (2) there is some kind of screwup going on with the no email vs individual email settings.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

The badge anamolies I was referring to before, in my initial post, were in cases of people whose settings were in effect before the change. For example, in my group there are now members marked F (with no R) and some marked F R. Post-change, everyone who is F should also automatically be R. That is what first got me wondering about whether the change was going to work retroactively.

Furthermore, I just noticed that although my email delivery in my subscription page in that group is marked as Individual Email, I am listed under No Email in the member list (I also happen to be a mod in that group so I just checked that).

My guess is that the convoluted mixing up of delivery method (specifically, keeping "no email" and "special notices only" as delivery methods, when they are not - they are message filters, i.e., message selection options) and including them in the algorithm for setting the message selection is the problem. I hope that this can be reworked to implement the original suggestion - which did get lots of positive response here - wherein delivery methods vs message selection are clearly separate, their settings don't depend on each other, and no-email and special-notice-only are not considered delivery methods.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

Yes I was expecting a reply of this sort. When I said “is not working,” I meant “is not working properly” because it is not working for me, in that particular group. My speculation is that the bug may apply to people whose settings were in effect before the change. Or something else.


On Mar 3, 2021, at 1:06 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 01:20 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I replied to the message via the web, and now I know that AutoFollow Repies is not working
I was a bit concerned when I saw this report as the default subscription options on my group are now Following Only, First Message Also and Auto Follow Replies. In my testing subgroup, I've set my 'member' account to these options and sent a message from my 'owner' account.  It was received by my member account OK and the email footers had the correct link (an option to follow the topic). I replied to that from my member account (via the web), and my member account received a copy of that by email, and so did my owner account. The topic also showed up on the list of topics the member account was following at https://groups.io/topics?f=1.  I replied to the second message from my member account (via email this time), and copies were received by my member and owner accounts as expected.  So, in summary, I cannot recreate this and can see no problem.

Regards
Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

Andy Wedge
 

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 01:20 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I replied to the message via the web, and now I know that AutoFollow Repies is not working
I was a bit concerned when I saw this report as the default subscription options on my group are now Following Only, First Message Also and Auto Follow Replies. In my testing subgroup, I've set my 'member' account to these options and sent a message from my 'owner' account.  It was received by my member account OK and the email footers had the correct link (an option to follow the topic). I replied to that from my member account (via the web), and my member account received a copy of that by email, and so did my owner account. The topic also showed up on the list of topics the member account was following at https://groups.io/topics?f=1.  I replied to the second message from my member account (via email this time), and copies were received by my member and owner accounts as expected.  So, in summary, I cannot recreate this and can see no problem.

Regards
Andy


moderated Re: hamburger menu in older browsers #bug

 

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 04:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please try it now. I've replaced the async/await code at least for now.
Late to the party but I was also told by a few folks in my ALPS printer group who still use XP on occasion (due to the particular printer driver issues) that Chromium-based older browsers like Chrome and Opera also broke on XP with this async/await code introduction; Firefox worked OK though. The problem they reported (as well to the hamburger) was that clicking their account did not bring the submenu up.  Your replacement restored the functionality for them as well.
 
Cheers,
Christos


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

I replied to the message via the web, and now I know that AutoFollow Repies is not working, either. I've received no messages at all from the thread. I can send you details offlist if you want, Mark. I purposely have not touched anything (for example, I didn't go in and check "follow this topic" although I was tempted to), I was just waiting to see what would happen.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

This might be a bug resulting from the recent change wherein Following Only now implies Auto-Follow Replies. 

I am Following Only, First Message Also in a group (and had been for a long time) and I did not receive the first message of a new topic today. Since it's one that I wanted to follow (I had referred a member of my group to that group and was waiting to see her post), I happened to be checking the group and saw her message, from five+ minutes ago. But it is not in my email.

I wondered at the time the aforementioned change was made what would happen to people already set up one way or the other, and I had already seen some anomolies in the badges. So maybe this needs a second look?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

Duane
 

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 02:38 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:
I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus the old topic), it starts a new thread.
I've found a way to minimize this.  You may want to try it until/unless Mark can make a 'quick fix'.

Start a new topic with the corrected subject line and a placeholder message.
Merge the original into the new one.
Delete the placeholder message.

Based on minimal testing, that should cause replies to go into the new topic.

Duane


moderated Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

Mike Hanauer
 

I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus the old topic), it starts a new thread.

I wonder if that could be changed. If I understand the mechanism, perhaps via message id rather than subject. I don't know if message id is or can be carried in the email reply.

Thanks.


moderated Re: Activity log date filter Today includes details from previous day #bug

 

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:57 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I've just removed a list of members from my group and to check I had done the correct number and not missed anyone from my list I viewed the Activity Log for Removed member with date filter of Today.  The search results actually showed an entry from the previous evening when my co-owner removed another member.  So, the Today filter is either not doing what it says or perhaps it should really be labelled Within 24 hours ?
I've changed the label to `Past 24 hours`.

Thanks,
Mark


moderated Re: hamburger menu in older browsers #bug

 

Thanks for that prompt response. Yes, it works fine again now.

Jim

On 1 Mar 2021 at 13:13, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hello,

Please try it now. I've replaced the async/await code at least for now.

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 10:41 AM Jim Fisher <ejf@jimella.co.uk> wrote:

I just tried this with my preferred browser and found it does not. Does
this
explain why that browser, when I tried yesterday, was unable for the first
time to be able to update an existing file? Clicking on the update link had no
response, but my no 2 browser worked as usual.

Jim Fisher

On 28 Feb 2021 at 8:50, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi Lena,

Can you go here and tell me what it does:
http://sole.github.io/test_cases/async_await/

That's a simple test page to see if your browser supports Javascript
await/async.

Thanks,
Mark










moderated Re: French reply to message by email uses preface "Réf", not "Re," creating new topic #bug

Bärbel Stephenson
 

Thank you so much, very much appreciated :)
Barbara

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 18:41, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hello,

This has been added.

Thanks,
Mark


moderated Re: French reply to message by email uses preface "Réf", not "Re," creating new topic #bug

 

Hello,

This has been added.

Thanks,
Mark


moderated Re: Clarify text on RSVP events buttons #suggestion

 

Hello,

This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark

1321 - 1340 of 29708