Date   

moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

Chris Jones
 

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 07:27 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I think this is a remarkably uncharitable view, especially given the prevalence of the problem and the fact that sometimes it is not of their own creation precisely.
I can see and understand why you say that, but if individuals have a multiplicity of email addresses then IMHO it is incumbent upon them to keep proper track of which address has to be used for any specific application. I don't think it is fair to expect group owners & moderators to have to come to the rescue, espscially as owners & moderators don't actually know what addresses people have for different  purposes.

Chris

Chris


moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

Glenn Glazer
 

On 9/14/2020 11:15, Chris Jones via groups.io wrote:
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 06:11 PM, lloyd lehrer wrote:
Several members have multiple  emails and have this problem.
Then I would argue that it is a problem of their own creation, I'm afraid.

Chris

I think this is a remarkably uncharitable view, especially given the prevalence of the problem and the fact that sometimes it is not of their own creation precisely. For example, in some of the groups I run, public officials need to have both their private address for some posts where they are voicing their opinions as individuals and their official address for when they are speaking ex cathedra.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Virus-free. www.avast.com


moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

Chris Jones
 

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 06:11 PM, lloyd lehrer wrote:
Several members have multiple  emails and have this problem.
Then I would argue that it is a problem of their own creation, I'm afraid.

Chris


moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

Christos G. Psarras
 

Hi Andy,

>>> See the member's manual for details...

Yeah, but it's not quite clear in that section of what would happen, so I just sent a message to the docs subgroup about it, some note blurb in there about this particular scenario, i.e. logging in with an alias is the same as logging in with the regular/main account, could be helpful.

Cheers,
Christos



moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

Glenn Glazer
 

On 9/14/2020 10:01, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 04:47 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one?
This facility already exists in your account preferences.You can define an alias to your main account address and Groups.io will allow posting from it. This is a send only alias as all outgoing messages from Groups.io go to the main account address.

See the member's manual for details: https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/understanding-groups-io-accounts/setting-account-preferences-and-viewing-account-information

Andy
_._,_._,_

Thanks, Andy.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Virus-free. www.avast.com


moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

lloyd lehrer
 

Yah, couldnt agree more. Several members have multiple  emails and have this problem.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020, 8:47 AM Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:
So to set the use case, almost all of the members of one of my groups are email only. For them, it is pretty much just a mailing list. However, we do make extensive use of the Files section whether they check it or not and after the last endorsement forum, everybody suddenly wanted to check the results even though they'd never been to the groups.io website before.

As such, a number of them needed my help to point them to the help page on logging in with cookies, but a few ran into an interesting problem. These folks had multiple email addresses that forward to one address and weren't thinking about which address was actually on the list, so when they logged in with a different address, they couldn't see anything. This was obvious in retrospect, but not during debugging.

My solutions for this were to either look up their email address and have them use that address or add all of their other addresses as no mail.

But it made me wonder: right now the account page allows for only a single email address. Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one? E.g., I might have my account under "glenn.glazer@..." but list "gglazer@..., gglazer@..." under aliases so that if I log in under one of those, it would show me the same groups and group information as under my gmail address.

Most people who are tech savvy don't need this, they can remember which address they used. But not all groups consist of people who are like that and this would be helpful to them.

Best,

Glenn


--
PG&E Delenda Est

Virus-free. www.avast.com


moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

Glenn Glazer
 

On 9/14/2020 09:59, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
Glenn,

>>>
But it made me wonder: right now the account page allows for only a single email address. Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one? E.g., I might have my account under "glenn.glazer@..." but list "gglazer@..., gglazer@..." under aliases so that if I log in under one of those, it would show me the same groups and group information as under my gmail address.
<<<

This capability does exist; go to your account settings (upper right) and in the Login screen, look at the bottom for Advanced Settings For Email Aliases.  Add your alias there, and if you log in with that, (and the same pwd) it will be like you logged-in with your regular account email address.

I assume that if one does that, the group owner/admin (you) would have to remove the extra aliased account from the group; not quite sure what would happen if the alias is also a member of the same group, but more than likely some code may get confused somewhere.

Cheers,
Christos

Oh, hey, you're right, I totally missed that.

Many thanks,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Virus-free. www.avast.com


moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

Andy Wedge
 

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 04:47 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one?
This facility already exists in your account preferences.You can define an alias to your main account address and Groups.io will allow posting from it. This is a send only alias as all outgoing messages from Groups.io go to the main account address.

See the member's manual for details: https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/understanding-groups-io-accounts/setting-account-preferences-and-viewing-account-information

Andy


moderated Re: Linking email addresses #suggestion

Christos G. Psarras
 

Glenn,

>>>
But it made me wonder: right now the account page allows for only a single email address. Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one? E.g., I might have my account under "glenn.glazer@..." but list "gglazer@..., gglazer@..." under aliases so that if I log in under one of those, it would show me the same groups and group information as under my gmail address.
<<<

This capability does exist; go to your account settings (upper right) and in the Login screen, look at the bottom for Advanced Settings For Email Aliases.  Add your alias there, and if you log in with that, (and the same pwd) it will be like you logged-in with your regular account email address.

I assume that if one does that, the group owner/admin (you) would have to remove the extra aliased account from the group; not quite sure what would happen if the alias is also a member of the same group, but more than likely some code may get confused somewhere.

Cheers,
Christos


moderated Linking email addresses #suggestion

Glenn Glazer
 

So to set the use case, almost all of the members of one of my groups are email only. For them, it is pretty much just a mailing list. However, we do make extensive use of the Files section whether they check it or not and after the last endorsement forum, everybody suddenly wanted to check the results even though they'd never been to the groups.io website before.

As such, a number of them needed my help to point them to the help page on logging in with cookies, but a few ran into an interesting problem. These folks had multiple email addresses that forward to one address and weren't thinking about which address was actually on the list, so when they logged in with a different address, they couldn't see anything. This was obvious in retrospect, but not during debugging.

My solutions for this were to either look up their email address and have them use that address or add all of their other addresses as no mail.

But it made me wonder: right now the account page allows for only a single email address. Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one? E.g., I might have my account under "glenn.glazer@..." but list "gglazer@..., gglazer@..." under aliases so that if I log in under one of those, it would show me the same groups and group information as under my gmail address.

Most people who are tech savvy don't need this, they can remember which address they used. But not all groups consist of people who are like that and this would be helpful to them.

Best,

Glenn


--
PG&E Delenda Est

Virus-free. www.avast.com


moderated File-notice hashtag on upload message not shown in message archive #bug

Andy Wedge
 

Hi Mark,

a member of one of my subgroups uploaded a file and a file-notice message was generated with the file-notice hashtag. I have moderated the hashtag so it was held as expected for approval. I approved the message but it appears in the archive without the hashtag which then allowed someone else to respond to it. I have since locked the file upload topic.  See the upload message for B4494.mp4 on my wobmob subgroup for details.

Thanks
Andy


moderated Re: #suggestion Add a Pricing tier between Basic (free) and Premium #suggestion

Rick Gray
 

I am part of a small non-profit group of about 30 members that I have set up a pilot GIO for, however, with the limit of no sub-groups for the basic plan, it makes things more difficult to achieve an efficient site. If there were an enhanced plan like the one suggested, I would pay for the plan myself for our group.


moderated #suggestion Add a Pricing tier between Basic (free) and Premium #suggestion

Pati Nagle
 

Hello -

Thank you for groups.io! I love it - however, the small groups I am in cannot afford $20/month and don't need everything in the Premium tier. Right now we are using the Basic (free) version. We'd like to support groups.io financially but $20/month is just too steep for us.

Would you consider adding a tier between Basic and Premium? Call it "Enhanced" for this example. Charge $10/month. Here are the features I'd like to see:

Features

 

  Basic

FREE

 
Enhanced

$10/month or $110/year

Premium

$20/month or $220/year

Listed or unlisted in group directory X X X
Public or private archives X X X
Open, restricted, or moderated groups X X X
Comprehensive moderation tools X X X
Members UnlimitedNot Available Unlimited Unlimited
Virus scanning X X X
API access X X X
Size limits
Emails: 100MB
Photos: 100MB
Files: 100MB
Not Available
Emails: 100MB
Photos: 250MB
Files: 250MB
Emails: 100MB
Photos: 500MB
Files: 500MB
Storage
1GB
10GB 20GB
Subgroups on your own subdomain   5 Unlimited
Group calendar   X X
Files section   X X
Photos section   X X
Polls   X X


moderated Re: Save draft when editing message #suggestion

 

Sorry for the many typos in that, particularly the question at the end- should read “should it be saved as the editor’s draft OR the original poster’s draft.” And the clear answer is that it should be saved as the editor’s draft, because that’s who needs access to it. So it’s actually not tricky, at least not in that regard.


On Sep 13, 2020, at 6:49 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

It is supposed to work that way for drafts of messsges, and does. So you get used to and expect that behavior. The problem is that it does *not* work that way for drafts of edits of pending messages. So if you’re editing a pending message and you leave the edit window to check something out, or to do whatever (feed your cat), when you come back it’s gone. No draft is saved. Usually I do remember to open a new window on the site if I need to do something else, because I have (to some extent) learned that my edit draft will not be there when I come back. Bug sometimes I forget. 

It’s skin to the situation before message drafts were automatically saved. You can lose everything. And in a way, it is *worse* now, because you (users) have come to expect drafts to be saved, and to rely on that, so you don’t have to worry about it. But in this situation, they are not. It’s always a surprise and for consistency’s sake, if nothing else, it would be nice if they were saved.

I realize this might be tricky. For example, if saved, should the draft be saved as the editor’s draft of the original poster’s draft? Etc. But right now, this seems to be an unfortunate gaping hole through which the unsuspecting can fall.


On Sep 13, 2020, at 6:26 AM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this how it's supposed to work? At least, that's how it works for me - if I'm writing a message and go to another page before sending it, the message immediately appears in my drafts.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Save draft when editing message #suggestion

 

It is supposed to work that way for drafts of messsges, and does. So you get used to and expect that behavior. The problem is that it does *not* work that way for drafts of edits of pending messages. So if you’re editing a pending message and you leave the edit window to check something out, or to do whatever (feed your cat), when you come back it’s gone. No draft is saved. Usually I do remember to open a new window on the site if I need to do something else, because I have (to some extent) learned that my edit draft will not be there when I come back. Bug sometimes I forget. 

It’s skin to the situation before message drafts were automatically saved. You can lose everything. And in a way, it is *worse* now, because you (users) have come to expect drafts to be saved, and to rely on that, so you don’t have to worry about it. But in this situation, they are not. It’s always a surprise and for consistency’s sake, if nothing else, it would be nice if they were saved.

I realize this might be tricky. For example, if saved, should the draft be saved as the editor’s draft of the original poster’s draft? Etc. But right now, this seems to be an unfortunate gaping hole through which the unsuspecting can fall.


On Sep 13, 2020, at 6:26 AM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this how it's supposed to work? At least, that's how it works for me - if I'm writing a message and go to another page before sending it, the message immediately appears in my drafts.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Save draft when editing message #suggestion

Peter Cook
 

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this how it's supposed to work? At least, that's how it works for me - if I'm writing a message and go to another page before sending it, the message immediately appears in my drafts.


moderated Re: Save draft when editing message #suggestion

 

No, edits of pending messages are not currently saved. But thanks.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Save draft when editing message #suggestion

Chris Jones
 

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 06:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Would it be possible, when editing one's own message, to not lose the draft if you go out of the edit window?
If you are describing what I think you are then the draft can be made to reappear - at least as a Draft down the left hand side of the web UI - by refreshing the page. Click on that then proceed as before.

Chris


moderated Subscriber SPAM-removed email notification bug and one anomaly #bug

Christos G. Psarras
 

Hi Mark,

I run into two minor issues yesterday, one reproducible, the other one a weird one which I cannot reproduce.

The reproducible one first; during generation of the notification's message body text for the SPAM-removed emailed notification, the code that checks/formats the "offending" email's subject for inclusion in the notification text, must be looking for the group SubjectTag value sans the two brackets, because if the "offending" message subject does contain the SubjectTag text sans the brackets somewhere in the subject, the code doesn't prefix the inserted subject text with [SubjectTag].


For example, if the group is setup as [MySubjectTag] for the SubjectTag, and the word MySubjectTag is not anywhere in the subject (e.g. Some Test), the SPAM-removed notification correctly shows:

This is to notify you.....has been unsubscribed.....because message [MySubjectTag] Some Test was marked as spam...

If the original subject did contain the word MySubjectTag in the subject (e.g. Some MySubjectTag Test), the SPAM-removed notification now shows:

This is to notify you.....has been unsubscribed.....because message Some MySubjectTag Test was marked as spam... (when it really should say [MySubjectTag] Some MySubjectTag Test)

What prompted the discovery of this was this SPAM-removed notification email I received yesterday: (emphasis is mine)

This is to notify you that .....@... has been unsubscribed from your group ALPS@ALPS.groups.io because message Re: Is anyone able to get a response from e48a42d6f71f45c8b33834c93777e5ef-Printer.com in Japan #grouphelp was marked as spam. . . .

Our group's SubjectTag is [ALPS] and the "offending" email subject was a reply to the topic Is anyone able to get a response from Alps-Printer.com in Japan #grouphelp

I checked the Activity log but found out the spam-removed entries do not include the message subject in their log entries unlike the Sent entries for example, so I don't know if the same would happen there.

 

 

Now for the weird one, I'm sure you noticed how the word "Alps" (SubjectTag sans [ ]) in the above was replaced with some identifier value ... I tried to reproduce this part but couldn't; I have kept the original notification email, if you need it I can forward it offlist.  Possibly some fluke or some testing/debugging byproduct?  Or was it some sign I should buy a lotto ticket using that number(s)?


Cheers,
Christos


moderated Re: Save draft when editing message #suggestion

 

Actually I think I did not make the situation very clear. The request is for drafts of edits of *pending* messages to be saved if the edit window is exited. In my own case, I am editing my own pending messages (because I have myself in mod, in order to give myself that opportunity). But it should not matter who’s doing the editing. I would like drafts of edits of pending messages to be saved if possible.

I don’t know or remember what happens with edits of archived messages, but saving drafts of those seems less important and is not part of this suggestion.


On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:18 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

This has happened to me more than once: I compose a long reply to a group member, including nuances about medication dosages, lab reports, etc., start to edit it for correctness and details before sending, and during the edit, go off to check something like the date on a lab report the member posted. When I come back, the draft is gone. Would it be possible, when editing one's own message, to not lose the draft if you go out of the edit window?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu