Date   

moderated Re: Search all wiki actions in Member Activity #suggestion

Bill Hazel
 

There are many reasons that monitoring all wiki activity is an important part of owning or monitoring a group.
Monitoring would allow them to:
  1. Check content to ensure it meets the groups standards of conduct
  2. Check accuracy of statement
  3. Check formatting
  4. Check links
  5. Check for copyright infringement
  6. See who is actually using the wiki
    1. Helps to see if it is being used by the group as a repository
    2. To encourage their continued participation
    3. To help them with technical aspects


moderated Re: Subalbums in Photos

RCardona
 

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 08:00 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
My basic group has photo albums with photos organized by album title.
What is it that you wish to be different?
We are requesting that there be folders within folders.  For example, if you have a main folder for a particular country's photos, you could organize sub-folders for each city and then have sub-sub-folders for locations of interest in each city.  

Currently, there is only a main folder and all photos randomly dumped into this single folder.  Wholly inadequate for proper organization.  Frankly, it's shocking the lack of organization for photos wasn't built into the structure of groups.io, like there is for data folders.

RC


moderated Re: Subalbums in Photos

Donald Hellen
 

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 16:44:08 -0800, "outlawmws via Groups.Io"
<Outlawmws=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Digital age; digital photos; This NEEDS proper digital storage and organization.
My basic group has photo albums with photos organized by album title.
What is it that you wish to be different?

Agreed, I don't care for the title "albums," but it works for my
group, yet I enabled the option for photos in the files section
because it might make sense to have a project with text files and
photos both in the same folder. Or for folders within folders for
photos. So we have both options to choose from.

Donald


----------------------------------------------------
Some ham radio groups you may be interested in:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM
https://groups.io/g/Ham-Antennas
https://groups.io/g/HamRadioHelp


moderated Re: Subalbums in Photos

outlawmws
 

Another Vote for Photo Sub-folders.  This is the digital age and the concept that "you only need one shelf full of albums" is out of step with the reality of the digital age.

Years back Yahoo (from the precursor of Clubs) HAD sub-folders for albums.  I carefully sorted through all the menagerie of albums and cataloged things (Lathes, Mills, "other" tools, etc.  Then got into the brands.  It was Stupendous!

Then Yahell flattened structure and destroyed it all.  NOW you couldn't find ANYTHING and we had so many folders "all in one place you could not even find a particular album (pages and pages of albums...)

All because some propeller head at Yahell decided to get cute and "make things simple!"... Clearly had no clue what the impact was, nor the limitations they had just placed on the picture repositories...

Digital age; digital photos;   This NEEDS proper digital storage and organization.  

The reality is, we don't even need them named as "Albums".  its archaic...  Folders, directories, what ever you call them, its a mechanism for CATALOGING.  They are not "Albums"...

   -Outlaw


moderated Re: App beta testers

Fabien
 

Not sure if my message went through, but I’ll send it again. I rely on a screen reader, voiceover. When the app is updated to be accessible with voiceover, I would like to be a beta tester.
Thanks,
Fabien


moderated Re: Groups.io app

Duane
 

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 03:48 PM, Michael Chopra wrote:
I would like to become A tester as well. How can I do that?
See https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23198

Duane


moderated Re: Subalbums in Photos

Ginny T.
 

I agree that this would be a very useful addition.
Ginny

--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========
TemariKai.com


moderated Re: Groups.io app

Michael Chopra
 

Hi. I would like to become A tester as well. How can I do that?
Thanks.
From Michael.


moderated Re: Groups.io app

Thomas Gruber
 

Hi,
I‘d like to become a beta tester of the iOS app. Any chance?
Thomas

Vom iPhone gesendet/Sent from iPhone


moderated Re: Groups.io app

 

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:42 AM Fabien <thetechpianoplayerkid@...> wrote:

I was wondering if the groups.io iOS app is going to be released anytime soon? If so, any guesses on what date or month?

I will be sending out the first batch of test invites later today. My guess is that we're a month or two out from general release of V1 of the app.

I have created a new App subgroup of beta for discussion of the app.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: Slow email delivery

 

Hi All,

The slow email delivery issue has been resolved. There was a bottleneck in the email sending system that was triggered by our ever increasing email traffic. Some additional code and additional compute resources fixed it.

Thanks,
Mark


moderated Groups.io app

Fabien
 

Hello,
I was wondering if the groups.io iOS app is going to be released anytime soon? If so, any guesses on what date or month?

Blessings,
Fabien
Sent from my iPhone 11


moderated Re: Premium groups now have more storage, basic group subgroups change

 

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 09:39 AM, Duane wrote:
Your group(s) exist, therefore aren't subject to removal
I think I have subgroups. Therefore I am. :-)
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Premium groups now have more storage, basic group subgroups change

Samuel Murrayy
 

On 14/01/2020 18:03, txercoupemuseum.org wrote:
It would appear my primary stated concerns remain unresolved.
I'm not GIO staff, so I can't be 100% certain, but everything that I've read in this thread leads me to believe the following:

If your main group was created before 15 January, then you will *always* have the ability to have subgroups (and create further subgroups), regardless of whether you currently have a free or paid package, and regardless of whether you upgrade to premium later and then downgrade to free again later in future.

After 15 January, subgroups are considered a premium feature. All groups that were created before 15 January will continue to have this "premium" feature. If your main group is created after 15 January, then "subgroups" is a premium feature, i.e. it is available to main groups that pay.

As with any ongoing premium feature, whenever you downgrade to free, you lose the premium benefit. It works like this in all web services, e.g. if we take a hypothetical online storage service that offers 100 GB for a gold package, and you then downgrade to a silver package which gives you only 20 GB, then you will lose 80 GB of storage.

[Mark's comment] is my first indication that my existing subgroup established under the temporary “Premium” membership purchased to get my groups transferred from Yahoo would disappear if and when we exercised the promised option to revert to a free group...
No, look: Mark's reply was in response to my question. My question related to groups that are created after 15 January. I tried to make this clear in my question that I was not talking about groups that were created before 15 January, but I apologise if that wasn't clear.

Fact 2:  Once my main group was “up and running” I exercised my “Premium” option to create a subgroup.
No, you did not. Creating a subgroup at that time was not a "premium option". It was included in the free package. What you paid for was the transfer of your messages into the subgroup. *Creating* the subgroup was free. *Transferring* from Yahoo (into either the main group or the subgroup) was what you paid for.

The ability of a “free” group to create subgroups means nothing if one must maintain “Premium” status to preserve them.  Such subgroups should be “grandfathered”.
But they *are* grandfathered. What am I missing?

After 15 January, no free group will be able to create subgroups. Any subgroups that were created by main groups that were created before 15 January do not have to maintain "premium" status to preserve them.

Fact 4:  Of late it has been suggested that it is only a matter of time before a 1GB data limit....
...

Fact 5:   Anyone at present can create a new “free” group at any time with a 1GB data limit.  Accordingly I would ask:
_Are our respective existing 1 GB data limits “grandfathered” against retroactive change?
These are separate issues that I can't reply to.

Samuel
(not staff)


moderated Re: Premium groups now have more storage, basic group

Mo
 

Hi Buddy. 

Anybody who has a group now will forever be able to create subgroups. 

Moving forward new groups will have to be paid to get subgroups. If they go basic, they loose said subgroups. 

Everyone here now is unaffected. 

Each subgroup at basic will still get 1GB.

Only new basic groups have only 1GB total. 

Regards
Mo


On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 17:30, txercoupemuseum.org
<ercoguru@...> wrote:

It would appear my primary stated concerns remain unresolved.

See my response, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23585, "So what would be the appropriate sequence and timing to (1) create a new free group to receive the information presently in a Premium subgroup such that (2) transfer of such content is not lost when exercising the option to downgrade from Premium to free status at the end of the present paid period?  Is there a way for a list owner to do such transfer within present Groups.io tools/procedures?

Mark responded, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23586, "Not sure I understand. You want to take an existing subgroup and make it a stand alone group? That feature doesn't presently exist.”

I responded, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23587, "I was responding to your statements to Samuel Murray today:

"On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 12:46 AM Samuel Murray <samuelmurray@...> wrote:

What would happen (from now on) to subgroups in groups who are premium 
for a while and then changes to non-premium?  Will it be a loophole in 
the system that you can create subgroups by paying for 1 month premium?

The subgroups will be deleted, after a delay to ensure that the downgrade wasn't an inadvertent mistake on the part of the group owner.”

Your comment above is my first indication that my existing subgroup established under the temporary “Premium” membership purchased to get my groups transferred from Yahoo would disappear if and when we exercised the promised option to revert to a free group, i.e that it would not be “grandfathered”.

As you say, that feature may not have existed because there was no need for it.  Since you now appear to have above defined a “new consideration”, my current response would seem both reasonable and appropriate.”


  <snip>

Any group that is created before this coming Wednesday at 9AM Pacific Time will continue to have the ability to create           subgroups, regardless of whether they are basic or premium. Does that answer your question?

 ~ ∞ ~ ≤÷•§•÷≥ ~ ∞ ~ <•†•> ~ ∞ ~ ≤÷•§•÷≥ ~ ∞ ~ <•†•> ~ ∞ ~ ≤÷•§•÷≥ ~ ∞ ~ <•†•> ~ ∞ ~ ≤÷• §•÷≥ ~ ∞ ~ <•†•> ~ ∞ ~
In a word, no.  I am not concerned with the ability to create subgroups being “grandfathered”.  You have made that clear.  

Your recent pronouncement/interpretation that a group choosing to to “revert” to “free” (non-premium) status at then end of a “Premium” period must accept deletion “after a delay to ensure that the downgrade wasn't an inadvertent mistake on the part of the group owner” raises a new concern, that of ongoing survivability of any subgroups thus created.  

I have been on Groups.io since November and yesterday is my first awareness of such retroactive intent.  To my knowledge this was not mentioned in earlier discussions addressing a “Premium” group’s right to revert to a “free” group.  Please consider:

Fact 1:  We who purchased a year of “premium” status to get one or more groups transferred from Yahoo were promised the option to revert to “free” status at the end of the (paid) year.
Fact 2:  Once my main group was “up and running” I exercised my “Premium” option to create a subgroup.  I then requested Groups.io transfer everything (except members) from another Yahoo Group, and made all members of the main group members of the subgroup.  Fact 3:  This subgroup transfer was done without further charge and successfully accomplished.  

For Groups.io to retroactively impose a requirement of ongoing “Premium” membership to preserve existing subgroups does not seem ethical.  The ability of a “free” group to create subgroups means nothing if one must maintain “Premium” status to preserve them.  Such subgroups should be “grandfathered”.

Fact 4:  Of late it has been suggested that it is only a matter of time before a 1GB data limit applicable to the combined “storage” of a main group AND it’s subgroups, i.e. “collectively” be imposed; the present reality of each group and each subgroup having individual 1GB data limits being the result of ongoing difficulties of implementation, . 
Fact 5:   Anyone at present can create a new “free” group at any time with a 1GB data limit.  Accordingly I would ask:

Are our respective existing 1 GB data limits “grandfathered” against retroactive change?  I am concerned that any .5 GB data ”budget" limit thus retroactively imposed on one group with a subgroup could threaten the ability of each to function in the long term.  If not, I have stated a desire to create a new “free” group with its own 1 GB data limit with the intent of moving everything presently in my existing functional subgroup to it.  That would (a) assure each group would survive, and (b) have their own 1 GB data limit.  

Alternately, perhaps another 1GB data could be made available at nominal annual expense for “free” groups needing it. 

Respectfully, 

WRB

— 


On Jan 14, 2020, at 5:32 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 05:12 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Do I understand correctly that if a basic group buys 1 month premium, they can create subgroups, and these subgroups do not disappear when they revert to basic again?
According to Mark's earlier statement, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23582, the subgroup(s) would be deleted after a short delay.  If it were me, I'd probably not allow subgroups to be created unless it was at least a one year premium upgrade.  I think that would be a better signal of intentions.  Or maybe only after a month-to-month upgrade has been in effect for 3 months or more?  I know there are some folks that can't justify an annual payment in their budget.

Duane


moderated Re: Slow email delivery

 

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 09:24 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I’ve been seeing it on and off for a few months but thought I was just impatient or imagining it
Actually, I take that back. This is a horse of a different hue. That message took 19 minutes to come through in email. Something is definitely amiss, different from before.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Slow email delivery

RickGlaz-WEB <rickglaz4742435@...>
 

I think there are a number of reasons. (I can post//receive two entirely different ways...)

Example, my hosting WEBMAIL service posted//notified they are (also) having problems.

Nothing is perfect or can be relied on 100% of the time.
Screenshot attached.

Rick

On January 14, 2020 at 11:52 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


Hi All,

FYI: I'm seeing some slow email delivery, and am investigating the issue.

Mark



moderated Re: Premium groups now have more storage, basic group subgroups change

Duane
 

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:04 AM, txercoupemuseum.org wrote:
Your recent pronouncement/interpretation that a group choosing to to “revert” to “free” (non-premium) status at then end of a “Premium” period must accept deletion “after a delay to ensure that the downgrade wasn't an inadvertent mistake on the part of the group owner” raises a new concern
Your group(s) exist, therefore aren't subject to removal because they're grandfathered in.  ONLY on groups created after tomorrow morning will it have any effect, and then only on newly created ones.

Duane


moderated Re: Slow email delivery

 

Mark,

Thanks, glad you noticed this. I’ve been seeing it on and off for a few months but thought I was just impatient or imagining it.


On Jan 14, 2020, at 8:52 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

FYI: I'm seeing some slow email delivery, and am investigating the issue.

Mark

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Premium groups now have more storage, basic group subgroups change

txercoupemuseum.org
 


It would appear my primary stated concerns remain unresolved.

See my response, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23585, "So what would be the appropriate sequence and timing to (1) create a new free group to receive the information presently in a Premium subgroup such that (2) transfer of such content is not lost when exercising the option to downgrade from Premium to free status at the end of the present paid period?  Is there a way for a list owner to do such transfer within present Groups.io tools/procedures?

Mark responded, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23586, "Not sure I understand. You want to take an existing subgroup and make it a stand alone group? That feature doesn't presently exist.”

I responded, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23587, "I was responding to your statements to Samuel Murray today:

"On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 12:46 AM Samuel Murray <samuelmurray@...> wrote:

What would happen (from now on) to subgroups in groups who are premium 
for a while and then changes to non-premium?  Will it be a loophole in 
the system that you can create subgroups by paying for 1 month premium?

The subgroups will be deleted, after a delay to ensure that the downgrade wasn't an inadvertent mistake on the part of the group owner.”

Your comment above is my first indication that my existing subgroup established under the temporary “Premium” membership purchased to get my groups transferred from Yahoo would disappear if and when we exercised the promised option to revert to a free group, i.e that it would not be “grandfathered”.

As you say, that feature may not have existed because there was no need for it.  Since you now appear to have above defined a “new consideration”, my current response would seem both reasonable and appropriate.”


  <snip>

Any group that is created before this coming Wednesday at 9AM Pacific Time will continue to have the ability to create           subgroups, regardless of whether they are basic or premium. Does that answer your question?

 ~ ∞ ~ ≤÷•§•÷≥ ~ ∞ ~ <•†•> ~ ∞ ~ ≤÷•§•÷≥ ~ ∞ ~ <•†•> ~ ∞ ~ ≤÷•§•÷≥ ~ ∞ ~ <•†•> ~ ∞ ~ ≤÷• §•÷≥ ~ ∞ ~ <•†•> ~ ∞ ~
In a word, no.  I am not concerned with the ability to create subgroups being “grandfathered”.  You have made that clear.  

Your recent pronouncement/interpretation that a group choosing to to “revert” to “free” (non-premium) status at then end of a “Premium” period must accept deletion “after a delay to ensure that the downgrade wasn't an inadvertent mistake on the part of the group owner” raises a new concern, that of ongoing survivability of any subgroups thus created.  

I have been on Groups.io since November and yesterday is my first awareness of such retroactive intent.  To my knowledge this was not mentioned in earlier discussions addressing a “Premium” group’s right to revert to a “free” group.  Please consider:

Fact 1:  We who purchased a year of “premium” status to get one or more groups transferred from Yahoo were promised the option to revert to “free” status at the end of the (paid) year.
Fact 2:  Once my main group was “up and running” I exercised my “Premium” option to create a subgroup.  I then requested Groups.io transfer everything (except members) from another Yahoo Group, and made all members of the main group members of the subgroup.  Fact 3:  This subgroup transfer was done without further charge and successfully accomplished.  

For Groups.io to retroactively impose a requirement of ongoing “Premium” membership to preserve existing subgroups does not seem ethical.  The ability of a “free” group to create subgroups means nothing if one must maintain “Premium” status to preserve them.  Such subgroups should be “grandfathered”.

Fact 4:  Of late it has been suggested that it is only a matter of time before a 1GB data limit applicable to the combined “storage” of a main group AND it’s subgroups, i.e. “collectively” be imposed; the present reality of each group and each subgroup having individual 1GB data limits being the result of ongoing difficulties of implementation, . 
Fact 5:   Anyone at present can create a new “free” group at any time with a 1GB data limit.  Accordingly I would ask:

Are our respective existing 1 GB data limits “grandfathered” against retroactive change?  I am concerned that any .5 GB data ”budget" limit thus retroactively imposed on one group with a subgroup could threaten the ability of each to function in the long term.  If not, I have stated a desire to create a new “free” group with its own 1 GB data limit with the intent of moving everything presently in my existing functional subgroup to it.  That would (a) assure each group would survive, and (b) have their own 1 GB data limit.  

Alternately, perhaps another 1GB data could be made available at nominal annual expense for “free” groups needing it. 

Respectfully, 

WRB

— 


On Jan 14, 2020, at 5:32 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 05:12 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Do I understand correctly that if a basic group buys 1 month premium, they can create subgroups, and these subgroups do not disappear when they revert to basic again?
According to Mark's earlier statement, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23582, the subgroup(s) would be deleted after a short delay.  If it were me, I'd probably not allow subgroups to be created unless it was at least a one year premium upgrade.  I think that would be a better signal of intentions.  Or maybe only after a month-to-month upgrade has been in effect for 3 months or more?  I know there are some folks that can't justify an annual payment in their budget.

Duane
_._,_._,_