Date   
moderated Re: Feature request: Cover photo in group message header

Ken Schweizer
 

Wouldn't this exponentially increase the group's usage depending on the size of the group's cover photo? It would seem to me that this would mandate a large increase in server needs and associated costs.

 

Ken

 

“You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can’t, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don’t give up.” ―Chuck Yeager

 

From: main@beta.groups.io [mailto:main@beta.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Thayer
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 7:37 AM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: [beta] Feature request: Cover photo in group message header

 

As a new owner, I suddenly find myself receiving messages from five groups, which are visually indistinct.  I've set some to Daily Summary, which should help.  But it would be aesthetically pleasing as well as helpful if a group's message headers contained the group's cover photo (or logo, if a group has one) to supplement the Gio logo which already appears there.  As someone else pointed out a few days ago, few members actually go to the group's cover page, which is where the photo currently appears.    

moderated Re: Feature request: Cover photo in group message header

Bruce Wilson
 

I would suggest you set up mailboxes/folders for each group and message filters to sort your incoming emails.  Easy to do

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
Member Bird Studies Canada Ontario Bird Banding Association
Nature Barrie Simcoe County Banding Group

On 12/16/2019 08:37, Scott Thayer wrote:
As a new owner, I suddenly find myself receiving messages from five groups, which are visually indistinct.  I've set some to Daily Summary, which should help.  But it would be aesthetically pleasing as well as helpful if a group's message headers contained the group's cover photo (or logo, if a group has one) to supplement the Gio logo which already appears there.  As someone else pointed out a few days ago, few members actually go to the group's cover page, which is where the photo currently appears.

moderated Re: Feature request: Cover photo in group message header

Chris Jones
 

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 03:12 PM, Scott Thayer wrote:
I suddenly find myself receiving messages from five groups, which are visually indistinct.
Are they? IME it only takes a brief glance at the "From" address or Subject Line to determine the group from which any given message has come.

Chris

moderated Feature request: Cover photo in group message header

Scott Thayer
 

As a new owner, I suddenly find myself receiving messages from five groups, which are visually indistinct.  I've set some to Daily Summary, which should help.  But it would be aesthetically pleasing as well as helpful if a group's message headers contained the group's cover photo (or logo, if a group has one) to supplement the Gio logo which already appears there.  As someone else pointed out a few days ago, few members actually go to the group's cover page, which is where the photo currently appears.    

moderated Re: Feature request

 

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 05:10 AM, Jeremy H wrote:
I assume a 'Note to Member' cannot be used in this situation.
Not true. The "Send Message" function can be used on pending members.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

moderated Re: Feature request

Jeremy H
 

There is already the 'Pending Subscription' notice facility mentioned upthread, for asking standard question(s) of applicants. If responded to 'correctly' that will be adequate in most cases - but sometimes this will not be the case.

What seems to be asked for, or wanted, here, is a 'Note to Applicant' facility, similar to the 'Note to Member' one, but for not-yet members - I assume a 'Note to Member' cannot be used in this situation. With the ability to have multiple variants as required, based on previous responses - which can be alternatives, or sent in series.

There is probably also a case for a 'Note to Non-Member' feature: but whether it is (from a Groups.io perspective) acceptable or desirable is another matter.

Jeremy
 

moderated Re: Update/Rest of the year

PurplePenny
 

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 06:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

As a rough estimate, I think it was around 3300 groups. Which means accepting 3300 invites and solving around 3300 captchas. I was very fortunate in that my dad volunteered to help with that. Let me tell you, he is now exceptionally good at identifying crosswalks and chimneys in images!

Your father is a hero!  I get frustrated with a single Captcha when the image is so bad that I can't tell which squares have road signs/cars/lampposts/small furry aliens in them.

You're a hero too of course :)

Penny

moderated Re: Feature request

 

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 01:55 PM, Victoria wrote:
different groups can have different needs and conceptions, and not every existing feature must be used by everyone.
I would therefore like to request three rounds of questioning for pending members. Just because someone doesn't like them doesn't mean some groups might want them. After all, it would be optional per group.

Just a little reductio ad absurdum to demonstrate that the argument "not every group might want it but it should still be implemented because some of them might" doesn't hold water. There is a limit. Having two rounds of questioning *would* cause complications. You don't find it confusing or complicated because it doesn't exist yet.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

moderated Re: Feature request

 

This feature has been asked for by many owners in the GroupManagersForum.

Chris: "Has it? It might be my memory failing but I have no recollection of this cropping up on GMF, at least not "recently" (undefined) and certainly not in the form in which you have expressed it above."

Yes, it has. Especially recently owners of newly transferred groups aked about this old yahoo feature and many before, some even here in Beta. But of course everyone who asked for it was referred to the pending subscription notice as a standard answer.

Frances asked: "Victoria, is this as well as the questionnaire you can have sent out automatically for restricted groups before the person joins?"

To me these are two different things. A quick answer to the question why someone wants to join my group can already give me an orientation and can also signal the seriousness of the application and its urgency.

And I do not find it confusing or complicated to have both. And by the way different groups can have different needs and conceptions, and not every existing feature must be used by everyone.
Victoria

moderated Re: Feature request

Chris Jones
 

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 07:05 PM, Victoria wrote:
This feature has been asked for by many owners in the GroupManagersForum.
Has it? It might be my memory failing but I have no recollection of this cropping up on GMF, at least not "recently" (undefined) and certainly not in the form in which you have expressed it above.

Why do you want to join this group is a perfect question to ask using the Pending Subscription message, and is more or less the purpose of it in the first place.

IMHO the existing provision is perfectly adequate.

Chris

moderated Re: Feature request

 

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 11:21 AM, Patty Stokes wrote:
I'd much prefer not to have two rounds of requests for information
I don't think that would ever happen anyway. It's fraught and complicated enough already with the one round. 
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

moderated Re: Feature request

Frances
 

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 02:05 PM, Victoria wrote:

1. Inspite of the option to send out a member notice for more information about an applicant before approving him or her, it really would be extremely useful to have them answer the one short question "Why do you want to join this group?" with the first group notice that is sent out to them. This feature has been asked for by many owners in the GroupManagersForum.  And for quite a few groups like mine where health issues are the main topic, it could be extremely helpful to have this question answered before even sending out the member notice for more information.

 

Victoria, is this as well as the questionnaire you can have sent out automatically for restricted groups before the person joins?
See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Screening-New-Members-Using-the-Pending-Subscription-Notice
BTW, anyone can read GroupManagersForum, including the wiki without logging into Groups.io or joining GMF.

Also of course, you can have a welcome notice and guidelines sent out automatically.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Member-Notices

Frances

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/home

moderated Re: Feature request

Patty Stokes
 

Regarding Victoria's request #1: I'd much prefer not to have two rounds of requests for information. I use the auto-reply to ask for all the information I need.

This has been working spectacularly with Groups.io. Back in the bad old Yahoo days, there was a space for prospective members to enter information (prompted by Yahoo - group owners had no control over that). Many would-be members seem to have thought they had already given adequate information and didn't answer the auto-reply message asking for basic data such as their name, reason for wanting to join, etc.

So - with all respect for Victoria - I'm a vote for keeping the questions confined to the single member notice that my group automatically sends out. Anything more is apt to sow confusion, as my experience with Yahoo indicates. 

Warm regards,
Patty Stokes
Berlin Scholars group owner

moderated Feature request

 

Hi,

so I dare to request two features, now that the big transfer wave is ebbing away:

1. Inspite of the option to send out a member notice for more information about an applicant before approving him or her, it really would be extremely useful to have them answer the one short question "Why do you want to join this group?" with the first group notice that is sent out to them. This feature has been asked for by many owners in the GroupManagersForum.  And for quite a few groups like mine where health issues are the main topic, it could be extremely helpful to have this question answered before even sending out the member notice for more information.

2. And I would appreciate if in the "from"-section in a message sent out by an owner or moderator with the owner+groups.io extension there could also be a group owner´s alias instead of the personal alias of the sender - which contradicts the original intention of the owner or moderator to send out a general and not a personal message.

I hope these requests can make it on the to do list. I haven´t seen them there.
Thanks in advance!
Victoria


 

moderated Re: Testing new feature request/tracking system

 

I didn’t know about the notification. That’s a nice feature. But while we’re on the subject of my comment, which said that the feature you requested already exists, I think it would be a good idea for people new to groups.io to make an effort to find out whether a feature already exists, for example by asking about it in GMF, before making the feature request in the new software - which, if I understand Mark correctly, actually costs him money. 😊


On Dec 14, 2019, at 7:34 PM, Shane Grimm <shane_grimm@...> wrote:

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I agree now that the title length limit is good.
But disagree with adding categories. As you say, simplicity is great.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Yes, always best to start simple. You've changed my mind as well. Also saw your reply in the site, thank you. I like how I had a notification when I opened the page to let me know you commented.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

moderated Re: Testing new feature request/tracking system

Shane Grimm
 

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I agree now that the title length limit is good.
But disagree with adding categories. As you say, simplicity is great.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Yes, always best to start simple. You've changed my mind as well. Also saw your reply in the site, thank you. I like how I had a notification when I opened the page to let me know you commented.

moderated Re: Testing new feature request/tracking system

 

I agree now that the title length limit is good.
But disagree with adding categories. As you say, simplicity is great.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

moderated Re: Testing new feature request/tracking system

Shane Grimm
 

Worked perfectly for me! I like it. I like the simplicity. One click with no login prompt.  Other feedback systems appear overly complicated.

Limiting title length is good, forces users to come up with a clear shorter title that show up in main screen. The description is available for all the lengthy details.

May want to allow selection of a category.

Onboarding
Documentation
Wiki
Database
...

moderated Re: Site updates #changelog

Rol
 

 

Mark,

 

The Members of our group are elated with being here in your far superior groups.io!

 

Thanks so much for all your hard work.  May you have a wonderful and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays with your family and friends!

 

Cheers,

     Rol

Avion Forum Moderator
1978 Avion 30R
1987 Avion 34X
1985 GMC Suburban 3/4 2WD 454 Automatic
Gavilan, New Mexico

 

 

 

 

moderated Site updates #changelog

 

Changes to the site this week:

  • BUGFIX: Even if a group is configured to allow users to specify new hashtags (Messages can be tagged with new hashtags), the 'Create Hashtag' button was not displayed in the Hashtags page for members.
  • NEW: Integrated with Canny.io to test feature request/tracking.
  • API: Added /newhashtag, /updatehashtag, /deletehashtag endpoints.
  • API: Added /mutehashtag, /unmutehashtag, /followhashtag, and /unfollowhashtag endpoints.
  • CHANGE: Members can only donate to a donation request one time. This is to prevent accidental duplicate donations (which have happened, unfortunately).

Because of the holidays, the next #changelog will be posted on January 10th, 2020.

Have a good holiday season everyone!

Mark