Date   

locked Re: need database column titles to keep showing as you scroll through - strong suggestion!

 
Edited


locked Re: need database column titles to keep showing as you scroll through - strong suggestion!

 

Brenda, I'm really sorry you were upset. But in all seriousness, and leaving aside the degree of any one person's distress - yours, mine, or anyone elses's - I still feel strongly that the search box being always available vs. the msg # box being always available should reflect their relative amounts of actual usage. Not how much one particular person is or isn't upset. That usage relative to availability currently is reversed.

I thought your 'Hoot' was hilarious, no worries. It was a good-natured response to what could have been read as mocking on my part, something I'm still sorry about. I think it's admirable of Mark to want to respond to someone's - yours or anyone's - being so upset.

But in truth, I seriously thought, hey, just because I am not similarly upset, or don't express it in the same way, doesn't mean that my point of view on an important decision *for the product* should br discounted. I am still bothered each and every time I have to maneuver into that tiny, tiny, inappropriately tiny and weirdly placed (IMO$ search icon (it is conventionally at the right), and see next to it the (relatively) huge msg# box, something people (not just me) have said they rarely use, and then on top of that wait for the search box to come up, etc.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2016, at 1:56 AM, Nightowl >8# <featheredleader@att.net> wrote:

Mark Fletcher wrote:>>Gentle reminder to everyone, not solely you: I think (hope) you're just playfully teasing, but even if you are, it could certainly be misread as
mocking, and I do not want even the appearance of that in this group. I very much appreciate the passion everyone has in this group for Groups.io, and I want this group to be a place where everyone can feel safe to provide feedback.<<

Mark,

I'm sorry I participated in the playfully teasing when I said to leave my Message Box alone and said HOOT when I replied to Catlady. But please make no mistake about the posts I had made regarding the Message # Box being gone, I was genuinely upset, and had cried a lot and could not sleep because I was so upset.

So mine was real, and hers was kidding. I'm sorry I had such an emotional reaction to the Message Box disappearing, but like I said in my disclaimer, I've been in a really high-tension stressful situation here in St. Louis, regarding police/protestors, and have been really anxious. Even today there was another threat against police here, but it was stopped. Whew.

I'm certain that this high anxious state caused me to be more panicky, but I assure you, it was genuine distress.

Thank you for understanding and fixing my navigation Msg # Box.

Brenda



locked Re: Message Header colour no longer changes after reading

John P
 

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 05:29 pm, J_catlady wrote:
I like it.
--
J

 I like it too.

John P


locked FOR MARK - Features I need in order to use the group

Nightowl >8#
 

Mark,

To avoid any more upsetting surprises like I had before when the Message # Box came up, I'd like to tell you the things I use the most so hopefully nothing else disappears or goes away and gives me a shock when I find out.

NOTE: I have tried to keep up in here since catching up last night, but it's very active in here, and it's hard, so I'll do my best in future.

THE THINGS I NEED TO BE ABLE TO USE THE GROUPS.IO SITE:
- The Message # Box viewable all the time.
- The top set of left & right arrows with the Message # in the center
- The Message # displayed in the center of the arrows so I know it clicked.
- The Message # displayed in all views so I can scroll/jump a range of messages.
- Pages, Vs imposed Infinite Scroll, (thanks for making it optional)
- Protect my e-mail address as much as possible.

Thanks,

Brenda


locked Re: Message # and back/forth arrows appear 2 x on desktop in single message view #suggestion

Nightowl >8#
 

HR Tech wrote:>> Unless I am missing the utility of something - I'd suggest removing the top back/forth arrows + message # from the single message view.<<

Uhuh, not that one. That's the arrows that I use. I don't use the bottom set, nor do I want to always scroll down to get to the bottom set.

Please leave the double arrows with the Message# in the center at the top. I depend on it for navigation along with the Message # Box.

Get rid of the bottom one if no one cares, but I need the one on top. :)

Thanks.

Brenda
On High Anxiety Alert


locked Re: scary experience this morning in trying to send

Nightowl >8#
 

HR Tech wrote:>>Maybe we don't need the up arrow in threads or when reading individual messages? At least not on mobile.<<

Mark Fletcher wrote:>>I agree on individual messages, but in threads? You could scroll down several pages and having a quick way to go back to the top seems like a win. Am I wrong?<<

Just stating FYI that I use the back and forth arrows for left and right at the top ALL the time. I don't typically use the ones on the bottom that are the same. So please don't move the top set, because that's what I use all the time to navigate other than the Message # Box.

Thanks,

Brenda


locked Re: need database column titles to keep showing as you scroll through - strong suggestion!

Nightowl >8#
 

Mark Fletcher wrote:>>Gentle reminder to everyone, not solely you: I think (hope) you're just playfully teasing, but even if you are, it could certainly be misread as
mocking, and I do not want even the appearance of that in this group. I very much appreciate the passion everyone has in this group for Groups.io, and I want this group to be a place where everyone can feel safe to provide feedback.<<

Mark,

I'm sorry I participated in the playfully teasing when I said to leave my Message Box alone and said HOOT when I replied to Catlady. But please make no mistake about the posts I had made regarding the Message # Box being gone, I was genuinely upset, and had cried a lot and could not sleep because I was so upset.

So mine was real, and hers was kidding. I'm sorry I had such an emotional reaction to the Message Box disappearing, but like I said in my disclaimer, I've been in a really high-tension stressful situation here in St. Louis, regarding police/protestors, and have been really anxious. Even today there was another threat against police here, but it was stopped. Whew.

I'm certain that this high anxious state caused me to be more panicky, but I assure you, it was genuine distress.

Thank you for understanding and fixing my navigation Msg # Box.

Brenda


locked Re: scary experience this morning in trying to send

 

Yes, the arrow moves if you basically move away from it. But it's become almost a subconscious thing, with constantly having to do that. It's something you (I) basically just put up with, because I never really questioned its existence. The 'minor annoyance' problem is one thing, though. The physical intersection with actual buttons (like 'private') is on another plane and IMO a serious issue. So if something is going to be done about that, I think Mark's thought about possibly doing more to remove the annoyance factor as well is a good one.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2016, at 9:24 PM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:36 pm, J_catlady wrote:
Up until this discussion it had never occurred to me to voice how annoying that arrow is!

I'm not experiencing the annoyance on desktop (because i can move my browser and the arrow moves)  - but yes, on mobile. It's very hard to click the back/forth arrows and it does interfere with the reply process.

The convenience of the up arrow is made mute if it interferes with basic functions.

Hopefully there is a creative way to provide an easy "up" or a way to navigate quickly by date/message # in thread - etc - but if not, and in the time being, the key functions within threads and messages should not be compromised by it.

It works great on message list/ thread list view though.

Maria


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: scary experience this morning in trying to send

Maria
 

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:36 pm, J_catlady wrote:
Up until this discussion it had never occurred to me to voice how annoying that arrow is!

I'm not experiencing the annoyance on desktop (because i can move my browser and the arrow moves)  - but yes, on mobile. It's very hard to click the back/forth arrows and it does interfere with the reply process.

The convenience of the up arrow is made mute if it interferes with basic functions.

Hopefully there is a creative way to provide an easy "up" or a way to navigate quickly by date/message # in thread - etc - but if not, and in the time being, the key functions within threads and messages should not be compromised by it.

It works great on message list/ thread list view though.

Maria


locked Re: Message # and back/forth arrows appear 2 x on desktop in single message view #suggestion

Maria
 

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 09:18 pm, HR Tech wrote:
I'd suggest removing the top back/forth arrows + message # from the single message view.

Actually on desktop, it may look better to remove the bottom duplicate ones, and keep the top ones. 


locked Message # and back/forth arrows appear 2 x on desktop in single message view #suggestion

Maria
 

I'm wondering why the message # with the back/forth arrows appears twice on single message views?

You see it on the top of the message and on the bottom.

Then you have the arrows to move back/forth in the thread ( different function) - but visually a lot of arrows.

Also you then see the message # 3 times.

Unless I am missing the utility of something - I'd suggest removing the top back/forth arrows + message # from the single message view.

That would make it similar on desktop to the way it's presented on mobile.

Of course - we are still left with the up arrow issue ( unless that's removed from this view)... but.. in the meantime, I think it would clean up the design on single message view a bit.

Maria


locked Re: scary experience this morning in trying to send

 

Up until this discussion it had never occurred to me to voice how annoying that arrow is! I thought it was there for good and would be petty to complain. But tonight as I read messages, and write them, I am more and more aware of how much it has been driving me crazy. It's always there in the middle of messages, at the right, just getting in the way. It's like something that I continually have to sidestep and I'm always trying to read through it or scroll away from it. It is a PITA!!! It's just in the most awkward position, all the time, and you wonder why the messages couldn't move over to the left or something. Just look at it! I am looking at it right now, and just there - in the word "and" - it was obscuring the text. WHY? I vote to get rid of it, at the very least when reading and composing messages.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: scary experience this morning in trying to send

 

Personally, I'd be happier if I could get rid of the up arrow, because it gets in the way for me, and I can always hit the "Home" button on my keyboard if I want to shoot back up to the top. I know that's not as easy for people on mobile, though.

Maybe you could just have the arrow disappear whenever a message/reply is being composed. How many people need to go all the way to the top with a single click in the middle of writing a message?

JohnF


locked Re: scary experience this morning in trying to send

Maria
 

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 04:35 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I agree on individual messages, but in threads? You could scroll down several pages and having a quick way to go back to the top seems like a win. Am I wrong?

I agree, it's useful even in threads. I was just thinking if there wasn't a way to find a spot for the arrow that doesn't interfere with the back/forth arrows and the reply mechanism, that it wouldn't be dreadful to not have it in individual messages or threads. Ideally a solution can be found so the arrow doesn't have to be sacrificed. I do think it's a great tool.

Maria


locked Re: scary experience this morning in trying to send

 

I just tried "infinite scroll," and it seems we'd need the up arrow for that. ??? Up until infinite scroll, I could totally have lived without the arrow, and had been constantly trying to avoid it messing up whatever I was reading. But now I see the need for it. This seems overly convoluted, but maybe you could put it into effect only for users who have enabled infinite scroll?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: Message Header colour no longer changes after reading

 

I like it.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: Mark - Changes views after I hit send?

 

Mark,

I mentioned this problem the other day as well, assuming Brenda and I are talking about the same thing. My issue was (is) that I'm taken to threads view after posting a new topic, even if I was in message view before that.

That is still happening. Perhaps that is a different problem? Or not considered a problem by most?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: Message Header colour no longer changes after reading

 

Hi All,

I've changed the read links to be grey. Consider it an experiment. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mark


locked Re: scary experience this morning in trying to send

 

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

Maybe we don't need the up arrow in threads or when reading individual messages? At least not on mobile.

I agree on individual messages, but in threads? You could scroll down several pages and having a quick way to go back to the top seems like a win. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Mark 


locked Infinite scroll

 

Hi All,

I've implemented infinite scroll for the threads, thread, messages and expanded messages views. Infinite scroll is always on for mobile. To enable it on desktop, there's a new option in the dropdown for 'Items Per Page' in your profile. 

If you don't enable infinite scroll, nothing should be different for you on desktop.

Lots of code changes for this one. Please let me know if you see anything weird or wrong. I will be adding infinite scroll to other parts of the site (Your Groups/Member List/etc) over time.

Thanks,
Mark