Date   

locked Re: New search options

Maria
 

Thanks Mark,

Cool - the search with thread worked great now.

Ah, I understand now why there isn't a "search" button - that's tricky.. Maybe people will get used to clicking "search within thread" before entering their search term so the cursor stays in the field. Haven't tried yet on mobile.

I'm still not seeing how threads collapse - but this is me, I'm sure. I'm a bit exhausted today and I am using the term "slack" maybe i should try something else...? Maybe when others test they can share a term they used in which they then were able to collapse the threads. When i search "slack" then click "collapse threads" nothing happens and maybe that's exactly the way it should be.

Re: the duplicate search "i'm a novice". It's not a big deal and now that I understand why it's there, even less of an issue.

Maria


locked Re: Possible bug with "I always want copies of my own messages"? #bug

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

Maria,

         Please try posting a response via e-mail from your smartphone [with "All Messages" and "want copies" both still turned on] using the Gmail account that receives the messages.  I'm curious as to whether using the e-mail client/app from Android or iPhone to post will trigger anything.

         Since I am strictly an end user I can't twiddle anything related to moderation with regard to myself.  
--
Brian

A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.  ~ Bill Gray


locked Re: Possible bug with "I always want copies of my own messages"? #bug

Maria
 

I just took our gmail account off moderation to see if i could replicate things - but still it seems to be working ok with me.

Here is what i did in case it's helpful to compare notes:

1- I took the gmail off moderation

2- i switched it to all messages

3- I sent a post from the gmail account via web to the group and i got 1 copy of the post in my gmail inbox from "me" and there was one in my sent folder too on gmail (gmail interface)

4- I sent an email via gmail email to the group and i got 1 copy in my gmail inbox and one is in my sent mail.

I didn't try it when on "digest" or "no email" as I think it's not supposed to work in those instances as those settings override that..?

And in iphone mail it also behaved as it should with only one copy delivered.

And just in case it's helpful info:  I don't forward my gmail to a mail client and don't have it downloaded in a mail client so can't help with that but do recall reading about duplication issues elsewhere in certain mail clients with gmail - can't recall context maybe a POP and forwarding issue happening concurrently - prob. not case here...

Sorry! I was wishing I could have replicated and help find a clue - but seems to be working fine for me.

Maria



locked Re: Possible bug with "I always want copies of my own messages"? #bug

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

P.S. and possible bug:  look at the date-time stamp on that partial quotation of J_catlady's post.  The actual post occurred at 4:38 PM, but the quotation prefix is showing three hours earlier.  I'm guessing that this is a time zone thing, as it's now 2:27 on the west coast and 5:27 PM on the east coast, but all of the times shown in the web forum for posting times are correctly adjusted to my location, including showing 4:38 pm for the post partially quoted.
--
Brian

A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.  ~ Bill Gray


locked Re: Possible bug with "I always want copies of my own messages"? #bug

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 01:38 pm, J_catlady wrote:
Although I have to pinch myself. YOU are standing up for email users? (Kidding!!!:-) (Half.;) 

To paraphrase Dorothy's dear Auntie Em:   "J_catlady, for 23-minutes I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you.  And now . . . well, being a gentleman, I can't say it!!"

Brian, who is perfectly capable of taking the perspective of others when the occasion calls for it   Harumph!

--
Brian

A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.  ~ Bill Gray


locked Re: RSVPs

Sue
 

>What I mean is that if you have your account switched to the new desktop version ( which looks like the new mobile version) you can actually experience it all now on desktop. No need for your smartphone. 

Ahh, right, sorry. I understand now. And that will become the norm when Mark rolls it out at some point, presumably.

>While you can't make a selective invite at the moment - one way to deal with that is to make  sub-group? Then you can set up an event calendar just for people in that sub-group.

Ye-es, but there might be occasions when the invitees would vary and I wouldn’t want to set up a lot of separate sub-groups for such occasional use. However this is all hypothetical at the moment so perhaps not that important at this stage.

>I disagree about the "add event" button being renamed "send" because you really are "adding" an event to the calendar and the fact that it also has options to send an invite and reminders etc - is secondary to me.

I see your point but to me – at this early stage of getting accustomed to it – it suggested to me that I could add another event rather than it mean I complete this one. But now knowing what it means I’m sure I will get used to it.

Sue


locked Re: New search options

 

J,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I like these ideas and anxiously await the version for desktop. :-)

They will "migrate" to the desktop when I merge in the new mobile version (maybe end of this week). If you have time, I'd appreciate you testing out the collapse threads option before then, because you were the main advocate of that and I want to make sure I got it right.

Thanks,
Mark


locked Re: Possible bug with "I always want copies of my own messages"? #bug

 

Mark,

The duplicates are occurring in all my groups now. Nothing had changed, but I realized that it was not occurring in the group where I had myself on moderation. After taking myself off of moderation I immediately started getting the duplicates. 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: RSVPs

Maria
 

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 02:07 pm, Sue wrote:
Thank you, Maria. Have just tried it and yes, it does indeed look much better. My point definitely remains about hoping it will roll out to the desktop version for people without smartphones.

What I mean is that if you have your account switched to the new desktop version ( which looks like the new mobile version) you can actually experience it all now on desktop. No need for your smartphone. 

Yes, you are right,  "Name" would be better worded as "Event Name" or "Event"

While you can't make a selective invite at the moment - one way to deal with that is to make  sub-group? Then you can set up an event calendar just for people in that sub-group.

I disagree about the "add event" button being renamed "send" because you really are "adding" an event to the calendar and the fact that it also has options to send an invite and reminders etc - is secondary to me.

Maria


locked Re: New search options

 

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

This is very cool and will be super useful I am sure.

Just quickly a couple of weird things I am seeing:

1- When you enter your search term and then click "search" only in this thread - and then press return (or go on mobile) nothing happens because you've moved your cursor out of the search term box.  So - maybe we need a "search" button to activate the search next to the "close" button

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. The reason there isn't a Search button right now is because of the two search fields (which would it submit?).
 

2- After i selected search only this thread it didn't do that - it sent me back to messages

Oops. Think it's fixed now.
 

3- I am not seeing how it collapses threads... i'll continue testing.

Collapsed threads will only return thread results, there are no individual message results.
 

4- If I search the term "slack" I still see my "I'm a novice with slack... " post 2 x


The first result is a match on the thread subject, so returns a thread match. The second result is a match on the message body, and is a message match. They look like duplicates because the thread match displays a message summary of the first message in the thread, which happens to be the same as your second match.

Not sure what the best solution to this is.

Thanks,
Mark


locked Re: RSVPs

Sue
 

>If you switch to the #newtestversion #newmobile you can see it on desktop too.

Thank you, Maria. Have just tried it and yes, it does indeed look much better. My point definitely remains about hoping it will roll out to the desktop version for people without smartphones.

I would suggest that the Name field be renamed as Title – or Event Title because for a moment I thought it might be the field to enter selected names. Which brings me to another point; is it possible to send an invite only to certain people rather than the whole group?

Finally, I would again suggest changing the name of the Add Event button at the bottom to a simple ‘send’.

Sue,_._,_


locked Re: RSVPs

Maria
 

If you switch to the #newtestversion #newmobile you can see it on desktop too.

You can switch to it by sending your email to the support @ groups.io email.

There is a very cool feature in the view responses section - which you may enjoy :)

Maria


locked Re: RSVPs

Sue
 

Hi Mark,

 

>When looking at the RSVP function, I'd recommend using the new mobile version, as that's much better.

 

I’m not signed up for the new mobile version. I wasn’t convinced I access the group enough via mobile to be of use in the testing. But I hope you mean the mobile version is only better at the moment and any improvements will be rolled out to the desktop version at some point because one of the people I sent the test invite to made exactly the same comment to me about confusion over the ‘add RSVP’ button and she doesn’t have a smartphone so will never see those improvements.

 

Thanks,

Sue

 


locked Re: Possible bug with "I always want copies of my own messages"? #bug

 

Brian,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 01:28 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:

This is a very non-trivial issue for e-mail users.

Yes, it is nontrivial and a huge PITA!

Although I have to pinch myself. YOU are standing up for email users? (Kidding!!!:-) (Half.;) 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: Possible bug with "I always want copies of my own messages"? #bug

 

Actually it's doing it again this morning. I'm getting duplicate messages in my admin group when I post via email. I had to turn "always want messages" back on, because without it, I got none of my messages from the beta and some other groups. 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: New search options

 

I like these ideas and anxiously await the version for desktop. :-)
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: New search options

Maria
 

This is very cool and will be super useful I am sure.

Just quickly a couple of weird things I am seeing:

1- When you enter your search term and then click "search" only in this thread - and then press return (or go on mobile) nothing happens because you've moved your cursor out of the search term box.  So - maybe we need a "search" button to activate the search next to the "close" button

2- After i selected search only this thread it didn't do that - it sent me back to messages

3- I am not seeing how it collapses threads... i'll continue testing.

4- If I search the term "slack" I still see my "I'm a novice with slack... " post 2 x

Thanks!

Maria


locked Re: Possible bug with "I always want copies of my own messages"? #bug

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:23 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Brian, I can absolutely believe that using Outlook or another email client to access Gmail would result in extra copies.

Which pretty much indicates something's not right from the Groups.io end.  This has never, ever, occurred to me before and I used Outlook regularly for years and use Outlook 2010 frequently enough for testing to know what's coming through my Gmail and Verizon accounts.

Were I a regular e-mail user and this were happening to me during my early days with Groups.io those would be my last days with Groups.io.  This is a very non-trivial issue for e-mail users.

This happens for no other source of e-mail messages in any e-mail client I use and use with my Gmail accounts.
--
Brian

A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.  ~ Bill Gray


locked Re: RSVPs

 

Hi Sue,

When looking at the RSVP function, I'd recommend using the new mobile version, as that's much better.

Cheers,
Mark

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Sue <sue.tier@...> wrote:
Hi Mark,

Many thanks. It now takes me back to the home page of the sub group.
A couple of thoughts. Because it took me back to the home page without any confirming message that my response had been noted, I had to go back in to the event to double check it had worked this time.
Also perhaps the button could be renamed to say 'confirm' or 'save' once the response has been selected.
Thank you,
Sue



locked New search options

 

Hi All,

In the new mobile version, there are two new checkboxes for search. First, when viewing a particular thread and you bring up the search dialog, there's a checkbox to search only within the thread you're viewing. Second, in the search results page, there's a checkbox to Collapse Threads. This will return only matching threads. A matching thread is one where either there is a match in the thread subject, or a match in one of the message bodies within that thread. The Collapse Threads checkbox does not show up if you're searching within a thread.

Please let me know what you think and if you see anything weird.

Thanks,
Mark