Date   

locked Re: Editing Glitch #bug

Maria
 

Did this happen when editing a pending post or a post that had already been posted/approved?

Maria


locked Re: Editing Glitch #bug

 

Yes, I was about to report the same glitch.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2016, at 12:04 PM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

I was going to send this to Support, but thought others should be aware of it, so will post here. I edited a post this morning on one of my groups. I just now realized that it had attached my personal Signature when I did so. I went back in and removed it, but it shouldn't have happened on an edit, especially on someone else's post.

Duane


--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Editing Glitch #bug

Duane
 

I was going to send this to Support, but thought others should be aware of it, so will post here. I edited a post this morning on one of my groups. I just now realized that it had attached my personal Signature when I did so. I went back in and removed it, but it shouldn't have happened on an edit, especially on someone else's post.

Duane


locked Directory #suggestion

Maria
 

Would it be possible for groups.io to have a geo-based business directory that integrates with google maps, has categories and other search criteria and ability for moderators ( or members) to plug in listings?

This would be useful for groups where people recommend providers/services to each other.

The listings could potentially be linked by admins to the message in which a given service was discussed so that people could read why that member recommended that service.

Maria


locked Re: Problem with Search Function Plus a Request

weebeequilting <weebee.1@...>
 

Thank you Duane.  I never noticed those files search tips before.  You have saved me a lot of headaches.


Janice B

AZ


locked Is it possible to create a preview of a link? #suggestion

Maria
 

It would be nice if when we post the URL of a link the web interface automatically created a web preview of that link ( like facebook and Yahoo! do). This can be discarded when it doesn't make sense to have it (breaks up a paragraph too much) but could be nice for sharing articles and similar links in posts.

Maria



locked Re: Problem with Search Function Plus a Request

Duane
 

I tried using the + between words on a search. It did limit the results to posts where both words existed, but not always next to each other. Without it, the results were any file that had either word.

On the file search, hovering the mouse over the file name in the results will show the path to that file. You can also click on the file name to open it, which will show the path in the address bar.

Duane


locked Re: Problem with Search Function Plus a Request

Janice B <weebee.1@...>
 

When I use the Search feature and my term has multiple words, I use a plus sign between the words so that “it” knows I want those two words to be right next to each other in the search results.  I did one like that about an hour ago I needed to find the message that gave instructions on how to use a certain tension test and the term I used was tension+test and all results had those two words right next to teach other.   We generate a lot of messages about tension problems (we are long arm quilters using a robotic machine) and I would have gotten a gazillion hits about tension problems if I hadn’t used the “+” between the words.

 

On another vein but still about searching.  I would very much like it if when we are searching in Files and we get a hit if it could show the file folder the PDF or doc is located in.  I got a hit and all it told me was it was in Files which I already knew.  We have lots and lots of files—I would love to have been shown a directory of sorts showing the exact folder containing the file I was searching for.  I had to open a lot of folder before I found the file I needed.

 

Janice Bahrt

Retired School Librarian


locked Re: +owner Message Reply

 

On 4 Jun 2016 at 11:36, Duane wrote:

A few times now I've replied to a +owner Message using my own email
address because that's the one that gets chosen by default.
I would like to see g.io allow "listname+owner@groups.io" to post via
email.

Maybe the email would be held in moderation queue since the address
isn't technically a member of the group, but that's fine with me. With Y!G,
I could just send an email to the group with the From: spoofed to the
owner email. With g.io, I have to copy and paste it to the website, where I
can select the owner address as the From:

Just like everything else, it's much quicker to just send an email than to go
the site and post a message.

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< Crazy little thing called love. >>


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 02:22 pm, Shal Farley wrote:

and I'm not doubting that it is. That being said, most
"regular users" wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of
recalling a specific message number ...
That's a straw-man argument: I don't think anyone expects people to remember message numbers.

 Shal, you really need to look up the meaning of "strawman."  I doubt that there are many users who do not use message view who even know that message numbers exist.  They're a weirdness as far as I'm concerned, and when I've seen reference to them in the past my reaction was, "What's that?  Why not just provide the click through link."  If it's important enough to cite, it's important enough to give the reader a direct link to.  Utility to be broader audience should be a primary concern of a venue such as this one, and message numbers are, without doubt, not broadly utilitarian.  They can stay, I don't care about them, but you can't convince me that they have much broad utility at all.

Also, for anyone "unwilling to trust a link sent in email" that's their problem, not mine or any other poster's.  I've had knock-down drag outs on several of the groups here because people have had the inane idea that "unmasked" URLs were somehow "safer" than ones using click-through text and didn't like click-through text being used.  If one doesn't trust the source of the link then one shouldn't click it, but if one does there's really no reason to believe that they'd include a malicious link in a message that has seemingly been composed by them.  I'm not about to make a message more unreadable by including "naked" urls rather than including them in the via click-through text where the text makes quite obvious what the intent is.  I'm not an unknown after a while, and neither are "the regulars" on any forum or mailing list.

I really don't care, one way or another, whether message number is a separate box or not.  It could be argued that it's better that way because it establishes a very specific context and it's entirely possible for someone to use #[insert some memorable digit sequence here] in a post that someone might search on.
--
Brian

A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.  ~ Bill Gray


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

 

Brian,

... if it's possible to search by message number in other views it
should also be in threads view.
In both Message View and Expanded Message View there's a separate search box for search by message number.

I've seen a lot of "Beta people" refer to this function and how vital
it is to them,
It is sometimes handy, but I don't think it is important enough to merit its own UI elements. Hence my suggestion to roll it into (what I think should be) the general search box.

and I'm not doubting that it is. That being said, most
"regular users" wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of
recalling a specific message number ...
That's a straw-man argument: I don't think anyone expects people to remember message numbers. (This argument was frequently employed after the Y!Groups "neo" redesign of 2013, by those who mistakenly thought the search of message content function had been taken away - but that's a whole other story).

Search by message number can be handy when someone cites a prior message by number rather than giving you the full link (URL) for the message. Or maybe if you are unwilling to trust a link received in email you might prefer to go to the site yourself and then search.

I have occasionally cited a prior message by number, even a message in another group by name and number (eg: GroupManagersForum@#502) when I make the citation for completeness, but don't feel that most readers will want to go read it. Then (especially with a shorter group name, like beta@) it becomes a matter of brevity. If I were writing a formal paper I'd use a footnote.

Fortunately, Groups.io includes a "View this message" link at the bottom of individual emails. Y!Groups doesn't and I sometimes found myself digging the message number out of the email header and then going to the archive to find it.

--
Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

 

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 01:57 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
it needs to be swatted as soon as possible

 Swatted and then squished!
--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

J_catlady,

           Just to be clear, I'm not saying what I said in an accusatory manner or with the idea that it's a design flaw.  I'd definitely have to believe it's a bug, and a huge one.

           Regardless of how it's come to be, it needs to be swatted as soon as possible.
--
Brian

A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.  ~ Bill Gray


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

 

Brian,

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 01:16 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:

this function misbehaves grossly 

It does, but perhaps that's  not by design?  Shal seems to be explaining this morning that it's a bug that snuck its way in. He says Search in threads view used to return messages containing the search term, in addition to the titles. So maybe it's not a design flaw, but a simple goof somewhere along the line?

--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 11:01 am, Shal Farley wrote:
Search by message number ought to be available in all views

The following observation is not meant to start an argument, because if it's possible to search by message number in other views it should also be in threads view.

I've seen a lot of "Beta people" refer to this function and how vital it is to them, and I'm not doubting that it is.  That being said, most "regular users" wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of recalling a specific message number when they're in the, "I know [insert topic here] was discussed a couple of weeks ago on one of my regular forums, I need to search for [insert topic here]," mode - which is the typical mode in my observation and experience.  If you don't use message view and/or edit a message you'd probably never know that these things called message numbers even existed.

--
Brian

A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.  ~ Bill Gray


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 09:31 am, J_catlady wrote:
I think that's a big mistake and have brought it up before.

 Well, I'll see your "think" and raise to "know."  There is not a rational person whose used search functions on forums sites or broader web search engines over the years that would expect a search in any view to be limited to post/thread title/subject unless using an advanced search function where you explicitly set that as an option.  A general search searches message titles and message body text at a bare minimum.

At least I've now had it confirmed that I'm not imagining things and that this function misbehaves grossly when compared against how every other site I've used perform their internal search functions.  

This is a major issue, as it makes searching the online archive in any meaningful way essentially impossible if one uses threads view, and many do.
--
Brian

A lot of what appears to be progress is just so much technological rococo.  ~ Bill Gray


locked "updated" column in database row gives date of database edit, not of row edit #bug

 

I updated a database just now, and in the "updated" column, every row now displays the time of the edit instead of the time of the last row-edit.
--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.


locked +owner Message Reply

Duane
 

A few times now I've replied to a +owner Message using my own email address because that's the one that gets chosen by default. It would seem to me that when replying to a message to the owner that it should default to the group owner as the From choice.

Thanks,
Duane


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

 

Brian,

... I have made a post where I use the phrase "Fast Start" ... Now,
logic would dictate that if I enter the search criteria "Fast Start"
(including the quotes because I want those two words together, not
something with fast or something with start) that thread should
definitely be returned in search results.
Something has broken in the Search box in Threads view.

It used to be that it would bring up first a list of matches in the thread subjects, followed by a list of matches in the thread bodies. The latter seems to be missing now.

I agree with J, the search boxes ought to work the same in all views.

Search by message number ought to be available in all views and, perhaps better, should be integrated with the primary search box. That is, if the search term is a number, the first result should be the matching message number, if any, followed by the search results for subject and body.


locked Re: Problem with Search Function

 

Brian,

If you're in threads view, the search function is actually searching thread TITLES, not messages within the thread. I think that's a big mistake and have brought it up before.

--
J

It's dumb to buy smart water.